Blow to RCI: Galveston pilot hearings set

jleq

Hmmmm . . . . let me see, one pilot to steer and one pilot to watch him steer.

I am not sure that they steer. I think it would be one pilot making recommendations to the ship's captain while the other drinks some coffee and listens.

Yeah, can't have them making only $300,000 year in a time when the economy is a shambles and unemployment stands above 10% --- that would just be wrong /sarc

Oh now, don't forget. According to the pilots that's not what they "really" make. That's before taxes, deductions for health and disability insurance, etc. Like it's not the same for anyone else who works?:rolleyes:

One pilot has been great for all these years!!!!

Imagine how good two pilots will be!!!!!

I think there is TARP money or some kind of bailout money avai;able somewhere to cover two pilots. Heck while we are at it, let's make it 4 pilots!

But they would then each require their own pilot boat, so we could use 4 pilot boats, employing at least three crewmen or women per boat!

We have just cut unemployment by adding 12 more jobs!!!! Quick, someone call Washington DC, the recession is over!!!! Nolimits has it right! Oh, you mean the cruise ships might go away????

You mean Galveston might lose revenues? No big deal, with all the new jobs, Washington DC can bail out Galveston!!!

What a solution!!!!!

More crooked union payola. Two pilots? You have got to be kidding. A trained ape could make there way down that channel. It is not all that hard. This does explain some hints from RCL that there was a "legal" problem ongoing at the port.

First Galveston hijacked all the private parking and made it city parking. (Crummy service and union wages) Then they jacked with the people on the dock. It is the keystone cops watching those morons drop bags, bang carts with the luggage.

Now they want to hijack the ships with out of line increases in pay and put two people on the ship.

Alaska tried to jack with the cruise lines and they pulled a LOT of tonnage out. Wonder if Galveston will be able to hold the few ships they now have or if they will get sent to NOLA or Mobile. Houston has a big port with no ships. Bet they would LOVE to have these ships.

We want a year round RCL ship in Galveston, but looks like Galveston does not.

There have been two pilots all along .In the negotiations for raises pilots agreed to one pilot along with raise .Then raise was not given so two pilots remain.If this did create new jobs at least they would not be 40,000 a year where you cant afford to live or send your children to maritime college so they can get there captains certificate. To pilot ships in busy harbors.However it looks as though they are looking to cut job to one pilot per ship.

Looks like I may have found a new profession...I'd love to make $300,000 a year even if I have to pay my own FICA and benefits.

I don't think I've ever seen two pilots on any cruise I've been on. I have seen ports where a pilot is necessary (Aruba, Mazatlan, St. Thomas come to mind) and others where anyone could steer the ship with no issues.

It's not like they have to go out in a hurricane or heavy fog and guide a ship in...

People can earn what ever the market will pay. The pilots take your and my safety in there hands .What do the captains make? what do those lawyers filing the cases make?What do those board members make.

In a normal market your assertion is correct. However in this circumstance pay rates are set by a GOVERNMENT AGENCY as therefore have no correlation to what the market will bear. The market is not willing to bear these fees, that is why there are lawsuits pending and ships not sailing from Galveston.

Who knows how this will all turn out. I have no objection to the salary of employees at all.

It's things like this' date=' though, that cause cruise companies to drop ports and that would be a shame for Galveston.[/quote']

I agree with you. I have no objections to what anyone makes. I do object to companies not being allowed to operate as they see fit though.

In a normal market your assertion is correct. However in this circumstance pay rates are set by a GOVERNMENT AGENCY as therefore have no correlation to what the market will bear. The market is not willing to bear these fees, that is why there are lawsuits pending and ships not sailing from Galveston.

Exactly. Almost $700k before the ship even leaves the harbor.

Couple this with the recent fog problem and things don't augur that well for Galveston's future with Carnival or RCI. That can be a problem for port authorities since the cruiselines can easily move their product to more hospitable areas.

There have been two pilots all along .In the negotiations for raises pilots agreed to one pilot along with raise .Then raise was not given so two pilots remain.If this did create new jobs at least they would not be 40,000 a year where you cant afford to live or send your children to maritime college so they can get there captains certificate. To pilot ships in busy harbors.However it looks as though they are looking to cut job to one pilot per ship.

So, I guess it only takes one pilot if you are paying him/her enough but two pilots otherwise? I guess somehow that makes sense.... but not in my head.

Well now, this might just be a big boon for the new Houston Baytown Port Terminal... or New Orleans!! I'm sure the state of Louisiana would wave all the pilots fees in order to get Voyager to sail from New Orleans.....I mean the state has cut deals with tons of other companies and let's face it...New Orleans could use the room revenue, parking revenue, sales tax, airport taxes etc.... plus it's easier to fly into new orleans and catch a cruise than it is Galveston.

As for what the pilots make...with GPS mapping down the centimeter why do we even need pilots anymore? or hell captains for that matter. The ships could probably be put on Auto Pilot and sail the entire way by themselves! If they can make a car parrallel park I'm sure they can make a cruise ship do the same!

People can earn what ever the market will pay. The pilots take your and my safety in there hands .What do the captains make? what do those lawyers filing the cases make?What do those board members make.

It does not appear there is any market here. The pilots have a monopoly and are trying to dictate the price. The second pilot seems ludicrous to me, but what do I know. Just because other ports do not require 2 pilots is no reason to think it is excessive. Based on a thread a few weeks ago, I think I recall seeing that experienced cruise ship captians make 180,000 or so. That means the figure stated by the Galveston pilot is a little less than double what the ships master makes. Actually, doing quick research suggests the 180 figure for cruise ship captains is high.

You have to love all these would-be Pilots - Local knowledge is vital while navigating a ship.

If the pilots are saying they need a second pilot to navigate safely then i for one wouldn't question their need for one.

jj......

If the system can keep a ship floating in one exact spot run by computer using GPS then I think I can handle currents and tides.

As for shiftting sandbars thats what sonar is for.... and if it's a "shifting" sandbar there's no guarantee the pilot will know about it either.

But if they get their raises would someone please point in the direction of " Ship Pilot School" because I'd love to whine about only making 335k a year!

Archived