Flightseeing - Misty Fjords or McKinley (Talkeenta)

disneypapa

Last September I was scheduled for a McKinley Summit flight, but was changed to a glacier landing which was awesome. The magnitude of the mountains & glaciers is unbelievable. There was a little bumpy weather since it was snowing in spots, but worth every minute. This flight was out of Healy near Denali National Park booked through Princess. I also went on a flight with Michelle of Island Wings in Ketchikan to Misty Fiords. The day was rainy & of course misty, but the flight was smooth as glass. These mountains are totally different, but also beautiful. We landed on a lake & walked on the bank to take in the peacefulness. Politicians are attempting to stop these lake landings for some unknown reason, so you might consider this before it is no longer an option. My trip was my once in a lifetime do it all, but once is not enough. I am returning in May, & if possible will visit again in 2011. Do as much as possible within your budget, & sleep when you get back home.

Are you saying that you can only afford one because of the "retail" or "sticker" price? If so:

Buy the Toursaver book for about $100. Then book Taquan Air for Misty Fjords and Talkeetna Air Taxi for Talkeetna and you saved $540 just on those two tours.

And if you go early in the season, you can resell your Toursaver on EBay and recoup about half the cost. If you go later in the season, you can buy your Toursaver on EBay for about half price.

Problem solved :)

I have flown both many times. They are completely different. It may be an interest to experience a float plane, or a ski plane?? :) I always fly both areas, every trip.

The above coupon savings advice is a great option to consider.

• 2 months later...
We thought that misty fjords were very pretty, but our glacier flightseeing experiences (Juneau, glacier bay, and Denali) ranked higher on the "wow" scale for us. Simply breathtakingly spectacular.

Can you tell me which tour company you used for your Juneau flightseeing tour?

Thank you.

Toursaver coupons for flightseeing are almost always capacity limited. Make sure there is availability before you buy the book. Sometimes the coupons are limited to times that won't work for many cruisetour passengers.

A different way of looking at it. There isn't that much to do in Talkeetna. Flightseeing is the best activity. There are better non-flightseeing things to do in Ketchikan then in Talkeetna.

Archived