John and Diane's Amazing Adventure - Part II

Johnny B

Good to hear from you. We enjoyed meeting you as well.

We are doing a riverboat cruise in central Europe this summer and a week in London. If we get to Gulf Shores in Nov we will try to get to Shreveport.

Orlin and Barbara

Ironcally Orlin and Barbara we, ourselves spend each November in FL, thus unfortunately, will not be in LA then.. For some years we have been taking a cottage near our daughter's condo at Santa Rosa Beach, (aout l7 miles east of Destin), and various family members come back and forth during the month, with the largest group coming for Thanksgiving week. If you could see your way clear, however, to drive down from Gulf Shores, while we couldn't offer you a bed (cottage has only 1 b.r.) we would be delighted to show you "our" stretch of beach. (Assuming the ghastly oil spill hasn't done damage--we are all keeping our fingers crossed).

Let us hear if and when you will be doing a blog. Are you going on the Danube? Joan and Tom

No, we're not dead! It was just that coming home from being gone for four months took a whole lotta time to make up for. There were 12 suitcases to unpack and put away, gifts to separate and put names on, appointments to make (doctor, dentist, CPA for taxes, etc.), and a whole boatload (no pun intended) more.

We arrived in LA (Long Beach to be specific) on a cool, clear morning, were off the ship by 9:30, had our one-way rental car picked up and loaded by 10:00, and were off to the 405 to the 101 to wonderful San Luis Obispo. Arrival at home was before 2:30. The house, which we had rented out for four months, was in better shape than when we left it, but the weeds! Oh my, the weeds. That will take awhile.

Some random thoughts about the cruise:

1. Would we do it again? In a nano-second.

2. Will we do it again? When we got off the ship, we had pretty much decided to do one or two segments next year and the full cruise in 2012. Will we? Time will tell. We will do a blog for future cruising, for those of you kind enough to tune in.

3. The end of the cruise was kind of sad. About half the world cruisers got off in either Vancouver or Seattle, and the other half in LA. Half (5) our table mates left in Seattle. All of that made the last couple of days a little sad and the ship a little like a ghost ship. I much prefer it when nearly everyone gets off in Ft. Lauderdale, even though it was really easy for us to get off in LA.

4. Since we've been home, we've been asked a bunch of times "Where have you been?" John likes to say, "We spent time in Canada," which is true. It's just that when you say you spent four months on a world cruise, people get all funny about it. Some even ask how much it cost, even though my mother taught me never to ask questions about money. I usually tell them that there's a variety of prices and they should check the HAL website.

5. The second most common question from people who know where we've been is, "What was your favorite place?" That's a lot like "Which of your children do you like the best?"

For us, it really is a difficult question, because there were lots of places we really, really liked, but just one? I don't think so. But, since you asked, some are Machu Picchu, the game reserve in South Africa, Antarctica, the cherry blossoms in Kyoto and the two feet of snow in Petropavlosk. There were some that I found underwhelming, like Male, Maldives with their "bikini police" and Durban, South Africa with their muggers, but there were so many that were so wonderful.

6. A few of my favorite things on the ship:

fresh squeezed orange juice every morning (just like in 2008)

Folded and rolled washcloths for drying your hands in the public restrooms

Lots and lots of free time to read, nap, hang out with friends - or whatever. If you

get bored easily, this cruise isn't for you.

The cooking demos and classes. I have soooo many recipe cards and I learned such

excellent techniques that my friends will be thrilled and amazed at my skill (oh,

sure)

Getting to know new people and getting to know even better people from the

2008 cruise.

Our dining room staff. They were THE BEST. Tourino, our waiter, was not only good

at his job, but he was funny and cheerful and when he cork-forked, he got it in the

first time! The assistant steward, Usep, was really good at his job, and over the

four months, he learned to relax and smile a lot more. Colin, our dining room

section manager, was every so much fun and turned down every offered tip (as

officers are supposed to do, but most don't). Romeo was a great wine steward,

and we got to see Nestor, our amazing wine steward from 2008, in the Pinnacle

when we ate there.

The front office staff. They are amazing. I've said this before, but I can't say it

enough: they are pleasant, patient, and almost always have a smile for everyone.

The people they don't have a smile for are those that I would probably punch, so

they really are doing very well. They also manage to call everyone by name. I

couldn't do their job in a million years.

It's great having the entertainers on board. Listening to opera being sung in the

laundry room down the hall, having lunch with Yuri from Black Tie, or having

Larry Hagman (and others) join us for dinner is so much more fun than just seeing

them entertain on stage. Of course there are some that are "above us all"(Hi,

Regis), but most are just regular folks who happen to do something very well.

To sum it up, we had a wonderful time on the cruise, but it's also wonderful getting home in the springtime (with 75 degree temperatures) and catching up with old friends. Of course, John is back to the tennis court and his Jacuzzi, which makes him very happy. In another week we get to see our granddaughter for the first time since Christmas - and boy do we have lots of presents for her!

Thanks for following along, and if you have any questions, just ask - but please don't ask us what we liked the best!

I loved traveling vicariously with you on your wonderful adventure - thank you so much for taking the time to keep us posted.

By the way, I missed it if Regis Philbin was on board. Was he an entertainer or lecturer, or merely a fellow passenger?

It was a wonderful blog and I particulary enjoyed (and printed) your Singapore to Hong Kong section which we are doing next year on Oceania. What percentage were world cruisers? That's my only concern about doing a "segment." I'm sure you have made life long friends. Thanks for taking the time to share this wonderful adventure. We will do a world cruise one day!

just caught this thread on the hop and have been sat at my PC for the last two hours reading it all.

Diane you are a brilliant writer, you left me hanging on and if I had to read it as a day to day journal I imagine that I would be getting very impatient to read the next chapter - pretty much like a good book that you can't put down.

Many thanks for sharing your journey - I'm sitting here thinking how many cups of take away coffee I should do without till retirement in order to do the same journey as you - but whatever it takes I hope that we can do a world cruise one day.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...:)

Loved reading your blog,you are a wonderful entertaining writer. It was great getting to know you better on this cruise, seeing you every night on the way down for dinner,and picking the same restaraunts ashore was fun. The only sad part of the whole cruise was the weather!!!!!. Not being able to get outside on sea days because of the COLD was hard(I know everyone reading this is going you poor souls) Other than weather it was outstanding,from service, food,entertainment,and ports amazing. Well back to the real life. Unpacked,Dry cleaners, grocery store, mail and taxes,we are back to normal. Cant wait for 2011 weather should be better but the friends will always be wonderful. have a great summer and hopefully we will see you next year. Sandra and Allan

Wow, what nice comments. You make me blush! But, there are questions, so here are the answers, to the best of my knowledge.

Regis Philbin was an entertainer in 2008. He was very entertaining on stage, but he didn't make anyone unhappy when he disembarked.

I think there were just under 600 full world cruisers, or about 60% most of the time. Two years ago I think it was more like 80 or 85%, but that's just my impression. I'm sure the economy had a lot to do with it.

Alan and Sandra, you were some of the people we really enjoyed getting to know better. I love your "date night" philosophy and really admired your efforts to get to know the local people and situations, as you did in Bombay. We don't know what's going on next year yet, but we'd love to see you guys again - cruising or just around.

In the meantime, thanks again for everyone's kind remarks, and it's nice to have a journal of the trip. I guess I'll have to print it and read it myself one of these days.

I'm adding my thanks, also. I found your post about 1/4 of the way through your cruise and I was one of the ones daily waiting for a new post and suffering withdrawal if a day was missed. You should publish.

NMI

I loved following your great trip. We are on the Amsterdam again to Alaska in July. My girlfriend is having lunch next week with Greg. I/m sure she will hear all about it. Thanks for all the time you spent on this

Actually, my dream would be to put out a "coffee table" sort of book with my text and Jeff's photos - his are incredible. Who knows? Maybe someday.

I think that would be terrific. Please keep your fans posted.

p.s. Did you teach at Poly?

Nope, didn't teach at Poly - just got my master's there. I taught English at Lakeview Junior High School (go Trojans!) and loved every one of my 35 years.

Have your friend say Hi to Greggie for us and give him a hug. We miss them.

Funny you should mention Jeff and his pics. Each morning I'd read what you had to say and then go to Jeff's blog for the pictures and to put your narrative into the proper perspective. I often thought you and he could collaborate on an awesome book. Thank again.

I have really enjoyed your trip as well. You have the great beginnings of an interesting book. There are many photo book companies out there, some of which are set up to allow friends and family to view and purchase copies. There is a wealth of info on the photo discussion forum and this link is quite helpful regarding some of the more technical considerations. You have been around the world twice now; it is time to put in on paper and there has never been a better time to put together a professional looking book.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John & Diane,

I hope you are still reading this. Before you left, you had a side trip planned to the Taj Mahal and I see you didn't take it. I had contacted the same company for the 2011 GWV but was wondering why you canceled with them. You can email me at smara6344 at aol dot com. Thanks.

Hi "Put Me On a Boat" -

We did have an overland tour to the Taj Mahal, New Delhi and Jaipur on the 2008 WC, but we didn't plan one this year. In 2010, we planned (and took) overlands to Machu Picchu, an animal reserve (Amakhala) in South Africa, and to the Li River and the Terra Cotta Warriors in China. I don't know what the confusion is, but if I can help clear it up, I'd be happy to. The company we used in 2008 in India was excellent and a third the price of the HAL overland, so we are very happy to recommend them. Go for it!

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I should have said that I have attached our 2010 World Cruise Photo Book (edited version). If you'd like to take a look - or spend three hours looking at the whole thing), just click the link above. Thanks for traveling with us.

BTW, we just put a deposit on 2012. Can't wait!

Loved looking through your picture. They are wonderful,and bring back great memories. Noticed you have decided on the 2012,are you still going on 2011 to Sydney? we have booked the 2011 all the way,and hopefully lookforward to seeing you onboard. best wishes. Sandra and Allan

Archived