Select dining - confused

Presto2

Hi

We are hoping to book a cruise for 2011 and want to make sure that we make the right choice for us regards dining arrangements. We are quite happy to try the formal evenings but would prefer to have some flexibility about where and when we eat. (We don't want to eat at a set time on a set table)

We have looked at the options on Ventura and Oceana re Freedom Dining but are quite happy to be a little more formal if need be and don't want to limit ourselves to just 2 ships.

We quite like the idea of Select Dining and know that this will cost a little more but are wondering how it works. Would we have to book Select Dining when we book?

Any help is very much appreciated

:)

Hi

We are hoping to book a cruise for 2011 and want to make sure that we make the right choice for us regards dining arrangements. We are quite happy to try the formal evenings but would prefer to have some flexibility about where and when we eat. (We don't want to eat at a set time on a set table)

We have looked at the options on Ventura and Oceana re Freedom Dining but are quite happy to be a little more formal if need be and don't want to limit ourselves to just 2 ships.

We quite like the idea of Select Dining and know that this will cost a little more but are wondering how it works. Would we have to book Select Dining when we book?

Any help is very much appreciated

Virtually to have two types of formal dining, they are Club Dining, where you sit at the same table each night with the same people, normally they have two sittings 6/30pm and 8/30pm. The other is Freedom dining where you sit at different tables each night with different people, at a time to suit you. The menu's in both of these Restaurants are exactly the same. You have to say when you book your cruise which type of dining you require and its yours for the whole cruise.

In addition to these you have select dining, which takes place at various dining Venues on the ship such as Arcadia Rhodes, Café' Jardin, the White Room etc,etc depending on which ship you go on. These are like any top class restaurant on shore where you book a table in advance, you do this when on board. You will normally sit on a table on your own, again the same as you would if booking a Restaurant at home. The menu's depend on the Restaurant you choose and they are all different. There is normally an extra cover charge when you eat in these Restaurants, and that again depends on the Restaurant and the ship. (If you normally eat in Club dining, then you should notify fellow guests at your table if you will not be joining them any night, because you will be eating select. Saves them waiting for you to arrive)

In addition to the above you have various other (normally) self service venues, if you dont want to eat formally, open most of the day. You can get something to eat 24 hrs per day.

Obviously those P&O ships without Freedom dining only have Club dining as the main dining Venue, but also have the select and self service.

Thanks for that -

If we book freedom dining and want to be 'alone' as a couple (we're not anti - social really!) - would we be able to have a table for 2 ? I imagine that we would have to wait for a table, but that wouldn't bother us at all. Is freedom dining available on all ships -------- don't want to be limited to the Ventura / Oceana.

Thanks for the help

Freedom Dining is only available on Ventura & Oceana, have been on them both and had Freedom dining each time.

When I was on Ventura you could book a table in advance, that has now been stopped. If you want a table for two, you will probably have a wait, but they now give you a pager and call you when one is available, they will also tell you approx how long wait.

Our first cruise Ventura we had a table for two each night, On Oceana we chose a table for eight, normally no wait, sat with some lovely people, different each night.

Would add those ships that only have club dining, you have to stipulate when you book your cruise if you want early 6/30pm sitting or late 8/30pm sitting.

Hi Delboy,

Have just read elsewhere that we could wait up to an hour for a table -- that wouldn't be a problem and would mean that we would go earlier or just take the opportunity to chill out and enjoy the ship. I think we are pretty easy going and life is too short (especially holidays) to moan about little things. Now I've done my 'homework' we'll know what to expect. On other nights we could do Select Dining ------- sounds perfect for us.

As a matter of interest which ship did you prefer ?

Many thanks for your help and for being so nice to a first timer on the P&O forum !

Hi Delboy,

Have just read elsewhere that we could wait up to an hour for a table -- that wouldn't be a problem and would mean that we would go earlier or just take the opportunity to chill out and enjoy the ship. I think we are pretty easy going and life is too short (especially holidays) to moan about little things. Now I've done my 'homework' we'll know what to expect. On other nights we could do Select Dining ------- sounds perfect for us.

As a matter of interest which ship did you prefer ?

Many thanks for your help and for being so nice to a first timer on the P&O forum !

I thoroughly enjoyed both ships, Ventura for the entertainment and Oceana being a more friendly ship. Not a lot in it, but Oceana just pipped it for us. Would happily go on both again.

If you click on flick'r in red, at the end of my signature, you will find photo's of both ships.

Which ever ship you choose in the fleet, I am sure you will have a great cruise.

I don't think you would want to use a select venue too often, the food tends to be very rich. I would also choose a ship on more than just dining options, some can be more 'lively' than others. Some people tend to sit on their own in their own world, but a cruise is quite a sociable occasion & sitting at a bigger table is a great chance to meet people & broaden your horizons.

Hi

Azura will be Freedom Dining aswell as Ventura & Oceana.

We were on Ventura last year and went Freedom dining, we didn't go to any of the select dining venues, but a few evenings we went to the buffet instead of the restaurant, it was only on the 1st night that we had to wait for a table.

Hope this helps! :)

Mossie

I don't think you would want to use a select venue too often, the food tends to be very rich. I would also choose a ship on more than just dining options, some can be more 'lively' than others. Some people tend to sit on their own in their own world, but a cruise is quite a sociable occasion & sitting at a bigger table is a great chance to meet people & broaden your horizons.

Hi, I think we would probably do select dining a few times as the mood took us - seeing it more as a treat than anything. Must admit, we don't do too lively - prefer a piano bar sipping a nice cocktail watching the sunset than a loud disco / loud music (if that makes sense). We're quite happy to get to know people on holiday and always end up talking / chatting to someone where ever we sit. We have done a number of tours in the past and have made friends with some great people.

Having done set dining / set sitting in the past in a number of hotels, as well as a more flexible approach I think we would prefer to have a choice re who we sit with and what time we eat. The evening meal is always an 'event' for us, so want it to be just right !! No pressure P&0 :)

Thanks again for all of the replies ---- off to check out the P&O web site yet again .............. any excuse not to write my Christmas cards ......

Hi

Azura will be Freedom Dining aswell as Ventura & Oceana.

We were on Ventura last year and went Freedom dining, we didn't go to any of the select dining venues, but a few evenings we went to the buffet instead of the restaurant, it was only on the 1st night that we had to wait for a table.

Hope this helps! :)

Mossie

Thanks for that ----- what time of the year did you travel?

Set-V- Freedom, a dilemma I suppose? we are due to go on Azura next year, we have always preferred 2nd sitting & that is what we have confirmed, but we are wondering as it is a long cruise if we may want a change....

2nd sitting is our preference but we did try Freedom dining 2 years ago on Oceana, it was a bit strange at first but turned out to be the right decision. Funnily enough we ate at 8.30 most nights.

Last year, on Artemis, we had no choice so it was back to 2nd sitting on a table for 8, we always go for 8. That was good as well but, as always, down to our dining companions. We are on Oceana again in Feb 2010 so it's Freedom again.

In short :) a table for 8 is our preference, but you are at the 'mercy' of fellow diners so Freedom takes away that risk.

Give it a go would be my advice John.

2nd sitting is our preference but we did try Freedom dining 2 years ago on Oceana, it was a bit strange at first but turned out to be the right decision. Funnily enough we ate at 8.30 most nights.

Last year, on Artemis, we had no choice so it was back to 2nd sitting on a table for 8, we always go for 8. That was good as well but, as always, down to our dining companions. We are on Oceana again in Feb 2010 so it's Freedom again.

In short :) a table for 8 is our preference, but you are at the 'mercy' of fellow diners so Freedom takes away that risk.

Give it a go would be my advice John.

Thanks, when it first came in on Oceana it was a mess, I understand it works well now ...BUT as you say I wonder how many still dine at the same time. The thing that worries me is getting my ass off the Balcony to get changed without the time limit set!! We have had some GREAT tables & have been ''blessed'' with the presence of a senior officer last two times.

We've done 'Select' dining twice, first in East on Ventura and most recently Muranos on Celebrity Solstice. (Apologies for the non P&O reference.) I think we've decided we're not Fine Diners.... While both meals were very good, they were also very fussy (the Solstice meal especially). And there was, frankly, too much food in both cases, partly because they came round with at least one (in East) and possibly two (Muranos) extra courses. Only small in themselves - I suppose you might call them 'amuses bouches', one was a mousse of some sort and the other was a sorbet - but they did add to the overall amount of food.

The other thing I've decided was that in both cases we were physically uncomfortable. In East we were sat at slightly lower-than-normal bench seats so we were constantly having to lift our hands higher than normal to reach the table top, while on Solstice we were on a semi-circular banquette seating thing that again was a little uncomfortable, so we ended up perched on top of cushions.

I think we've decided that like the main dining rooms best of all - proper tables, proper chairs, and food that we wouldn't normally eat at home but which isn't too fussily served.

Tom...

I do see where you are coming from with the select dining thing, the food is rich, made my wife a bit queasy in Arcadian Rhodes. Couldn't do it every night. Must say though one of the best, if not the best meals ever, was on Celebrity Constellation in the Ocean Liners restaurant.

The other thing I've decided was that in both cases we were physically uncomfortable. In East we were sat at slightly lower-than-normal bench seats so we were constantly having to lift our hands higher than normal to reach the table top,

As I'm only 5ft tall we'd better give that a miss :D:D:D

Archived