Millie entertainment

mamadot

Is there any classical on board? Any string quartet or any small musical groups?

There was a good quartet in October. Usually there is such a group, in addition to the a capella group, the productions shows (superb on Millennium), the singer/pianist in Michael's Club and usually, an individual performer such as a singing guitarist. Enjoy.

EVERY Celebrity cruise we've taken has had a classical music quartet (or trio). On one cruise a few years ago on Galaxy the quartet also played some more contemporary music - but still in a classical quartet/trio style.

Some cruises also have had a classical solo harpist and/or pianist - but I think it has been a while since we've seen one.

Usually, but not always, there is at least one evening "guest" performer in the theatre that plays some style of classical music - usually a pianist. This latter type of entertainment is more apt to vary from time to time and maybe even from cruise to cruise as they frequently hire this type of entertainment for shorter runs and switch them from ship to ship, even mid-cruise.

Is there any classical on board? Any string quartet or any small musical groups?

On the 11/27/09 sailing we had Dou Vito, a violin-accordion pair playing a remarkable range of material, mostly classical and euro-pop type classical. They occasionally took off into some very challenging material, such as all four movements from Vivaldi's The Four Seasons, but next might do a polka or Strauss waltz.

Most evenings they played in Cova Cafe before early and late dinner seatings, and then played a third set starting around 10:30, as late seating was finishing up. The second formal night they were also at the top of the staircase in Metropolitan (MDR) but we could not hear them well above the dining room hubbub, as our table was on four under deck five.

We also had pianist Mac Frampton on stage in the theater two nights, accompanied by the house orchestra. He is classically trained but his sets were all over the map from beautiful classics to pop/rock, and was wonderful to hear. His forte is linking a dozen or so tunes suggested from the audience into a medley tour de force.

I suspect Dou Vito is signed on for at least the balance of the current Caribbean winter trips, but Mac Frampton may be one of those "special guests" that moves every week or two. I hope you have a chance to hear him.

No quartets or harpists were seen anywhere, but we did have Wheel House, an a cappella quartet in Cova Cafe between sets by Duo Vito. while not exactly classical (their forte is doo-wop and close barbershop harmony) the small venue and style of performing in close proxinity to a small audience gave a bit of the feel of a chamber concert.

Hope you find some music to suit your taste; there is a lot on board to seek out.

M & J

Hi, I just returned from the Milli this past Friday. In the evening shows: Mac Frampton was there, I don't like piano but I've gotta say, he was pretty amazing. We also had a violinist but my favorite was Chris Riggins! He was the most amazing singer, he is compared to Andrea Bocelli and Josh Grobin.

There were the others in the other bars/clubs that were already mentioned here on this thread that were the same. Hope this helps.

We were on the same 11 day Millie cruise which just finished last Friday. Here is a link to an overview of that cruise I did while killing time in the San Juan Airport. In it I highlighted most of the entertainers. There were some questions about the entertainers which I have now answered. Here is a link to this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106035

Hope this helps. Have a safe and a joyous holiday season.:)

I am new to Celebrity and have been reading the reviews of entertainment on board. I have an Alaskan cruise set for August 2010 on Millie and was wondering if there is any entertainment on board that might have drums, guitars, etc., in the the group. I have read alot of reviews regarding pianoists, violinists, etc. but we are not into any type of classical or piano music. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks:)

I am new to Celebrity and have been reading the reviews of entertainment on board. I have an Alaskan cruise set for August 2010 on Millie and was wondering if there is any entertainment on board that might have drums, guitars, etc., in the the group. I have read alot of reviews regarding pianoists, violinists, etc. but we are not into any type of classical or piano music. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks:)

There is the Celebrity Orchestra on every ship. They back up the production shows, play in the Rendez-vous Lounge occasionally and back up guest entertainers.

In the Rendez-vous Lounge, there is a small group...anywhere from 2 to 5 people, usually. They most often play dance music, and have the usual sounds for a dance group; the drums, guitars etc. may be a synthesizer, but the music is usually alright. If the group happens to be very specific, as has happened on two cruises, then you might not like it....for example, on our last cruise, the music style was swing and jazz/latin that I did not particularly care for. Although people did sit to listen, as did we, before dinner, there were usually no more than 2 to 8 couples on the floor, much less than normal for that venue.

Don't be put off by the term "classical" either. Those guys play classical, but also any other sort of style as well. It is easy listening music and can be very relaxing up in the Cova Cafe.

...was wondering if there is any entertainment on board that might have drums, guitars, etc., in the the group. I have read alot of reviews regarding pianoists, violinists, etc. but we are not into any type of classical or piano music. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks:)

On our 11/27/09 Millie sailing our favorite group was the De Rissio Quartet, (guitar, piano, drums, and female vocalist), who played one full set of very danceable music every night in the Rendezvous Lounge (deck 4 just forward of the MDR) before both dinner seatings. They also played one sailaway PM on deck by the pool and once for a theme night in the Cosmos Club on 11.

Their forté is Latin dance such as cha-cha, salsa, meringue, and tango, etc. but they are very versatile and will play just about any request from waltzes on up (but to their credit I did not once hear The Macarena!) I think they are based in San Juan, so after the winter cruise season is done they may be replaced by another similar group as the previous poster pointed out.

I would say that in general there is music to suit nearly every taste on board somewhere, sometime, short of acid rock, maybe. Read the "Today" newsletter and go exploring your first night underway to find out! It's a worthwhile adventure.

M & J

Archived