Back to the Class System

jebl

I'm not crazy about being shut out of certain areas on a ship because I'm not in a suite. However, I realize that I can get a very reasonable price on my cabin because of those who choose to pay top dollar for a suite. They're not deceiving me in any way. I know going in that I won't have some of the benefits that others have. And yes, whether they're D+ or are in a suite, they paid for those privileges. I'm perfectly happy paying my basement price and enjoying 99% of what the others enjoy. And when I am able to add those perks to my cruise in the future, I'll enjoy them with no guilt. :)

Happy cruising.

-Rich

Hi Lucky... I usually agree with you, but this time don't really understand why you think what andrjez posted was disgusting.

He like I held/hold top tier status on AA and in the past I've held top tier status on NW, CO and DL. They all have similar policies and I think they should for their high revenue customers- that not to say they shouldn't treat all customers well. But I enjoy having a guaranteed seat when I'm in Dallas and need to see a client in Seattle at the last minute. I also enjoy my complimentary first class upgrades and fast tracking through security and customs. After all, when you are putting over 100,000 butt in seat miles a year, you deserve some perks.

The cruise lines and in this case RCI is doing somewhat the same thing for suite guests and D+ C&A members. Suites, because they are high revenue and D+'s because they've shown their loyalty to RCI and have in the aggregate provided a lot of revenue for the cruise line.

Let's face it, I'm paying $700pp for my Voyager and Serenade balcony cabins. If people are paying 2 or 3x that for a suite, they deserve the added benefits as they are paying for it.

Hi Icguy - hope your holidays are going well!

I think the idea of being able to bump someone off of a flight that they have planned for, payed for, arrrived for - all of that- because someone that unfortunatly has to travel a lot for business or whatever wants a seat at the last minute is extremely distasteful. Like I had said before, taking care of customers should be a priority for all businesses, especially right now. Giving perks to someone that has spent a lot with your company is fine and a smart move. Giving them a seat that has been purchased by and anticipated by someone else is still disgusting to me. Sadly, business can be a very slimy thing - I just think people need to stop and think of the people that they effect more in life. While you didn't have to wait 4 hours for an available flight for your last minute, non-planned seat - someone else has been denied boarding that did everything right. For those that would say 'it's business - you can't expect them to care about people or expect those recieving perks to think about what they may be taking from others' -well, luckily, I don't see it that way and I think the people I affect in life are probably thankful for that. The very best businesses can strike a balance between making money and keeping customers satisfied.

I´ve said it before and it doesn´t matter if it´s cruise lines, airlines or other companies, the discussion will never end as long as there´s someone getting something that someone else does not get.

People will deny it, but the truth is it´s all about jealousy.

The discussion won´t end until everybody will get the exact same cabin, exact same service, exact same cabin location, exact same price, exact same lounge chair and location ...... you get the drift.

Or in other words the discussion will never end and never be resolved.

That is absolutely disgusting. It's no wonder AA is terrible and airlines have totally nosedived. To take such a ridiculously entitled attitude toward the customers paying for the service provided is horrible. In the end, its the companies that treat all of their CUSTOMERS (lets not forget, it's not a private club - cruisers and airline customers are purchasing a service, not joining a social event) well and respond to complaints well that pull ahead. There are plenty of examples of it and plenty examples of the greedy and smug going bankrupt.
There are lot of reasons airlines are in troubled waters financially, but their frequent flyer programs/benefits are not one of them.

Also, think of how this works, it's mostly a benefit without a reason for anyone to use it. You have to be willing to pay lots of money, e.g. full fare economy from Chicago to Los Angeles is probably over $1,000 each way, when you could probably take a different flight or airline for $300-400. How often would that happen? He's never done it, probably not many other people have either.

But even if someone does, what happens at the airport? The most likely result is either there are enough no shows that no one gets bumped and the airline made an extra $600 or so, or they find someone willing to give up their seat in exchange for a travel voucher which will probably be less than $600.

The airline wins, another passenger may win, and the frequent flyer wins too if it was that important to him to be on that flight that he was willing to pay $1,000 for the privilege.

Rather than being disgusting, it sounds to me like a win, win, win.

and now there is a thread-and just the start of the flowing river I'm thinking-how the D and D+ events are taking space away from all the other non diamond cruisers.

The street runs both ways. ;)

Sounds like if you are not diamond and don't sail in a suite-you'll have to find another cruise line to vacation on because the little guy will get one small corner of a huge massive ship!! :p

Holiday wishes to you too, Lucky!

I do understand where you're coming from, but remember, the airlines will ask for "volunteers" and typically offer $300+ in compensation and put them on the next flight. They're never short on volunteers it seems and involuntary bumps are more lucrative for the passenger.

Case in point, a couple of months ago I was flying for leisure from Nashville to Los Angeles with a change of planes in Dallas. They requested volunteers and I took them up on it. I walked away with a $600 voucher towards future travel and although I spent two more hours in the airport, they put me on a non-stop flight (with upgrade) and got in an hour earlier than my original plan.

So, business is business and let's assume the person who spent $300 for their advanced purchase, gets a $300 voucher basically a free flight. I pay $1000 at the last minute, the airline comes out $400 ahead. I'd say more times than not, it's a win-win-win.

Happy travels to you as well!!!

Holiday wishes to you too, Lucky!

I do understand where you're coming from, but remember, the airlines will ask for "volunteers" and typically offer $300+ in compensation and put them on the next flight. They're never short on volunteers it seems and involuntary bumps are more lucrative for the passenger.

Case in point, a couple of months ago I was flying for leisure from Nashville to Los Angeles with a change of planes in Dallas. They requested volunteers and I took them up on it. I walked away with a $600 voucher towards future travel and although I spent two more hours in the airport, they put me on a non-stop flight (with upgrade) and got in an hour earlier than my original plan.

So, business is business and let's assume the person who spent $300 for their advanced purchase, gets a $300 voucher basically a free flight. I pay $1000 at the last minute, the airline comes out $400 ahead. I'd say more times than not, it's a win-win-win.

Happy travels to you as well!!!

Looking at our posts, I'd say we agree on this one. I think the point to be taken is not that AA is doing things poorly, but that RCI could follow their lead in finding ways to give benefits to select passengers without making it a "lose" for other passengers.

The CL works well, some of their other benefits not so well. Just one example, ice show seating. On our last cruise, the P/D event was a private ice show. If, rather than reserving space for suite guests at the regular shows, they had invited suite guests to the private show, everybody would have won and all it would have cost them was a little cheap champagne.

Looking at our posts, I'd say we agree on this one. I think the point to be taken is not that AA is doing things poorly, but that RCI could follow their lead in finding ways to give benefits to select passengers without making it a "lose" for other passengers.

The CL works well, some of their other benefits not so well. Just one example, ice show seating. On our last cruise, the P/D event was a private ice show. If, rather than reserving space for suite guests at the regular shows, they had invited suite guests to the private show, everybody would have won and all it would have cost them was a little cheap champagne.

HA!!! You must have posted as I was writing!!!

And I totally agree with you that RCI can do a much better job. Your examples are spot on.

I think I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today! :D

I´ve said it before and it doesn´t matter if it´s cruise lines, airlines or other companies, the discussion will never end as long as there´s someone getting something that someone else does not get.

The discussion won´t end until everybody will get the exact same cabin, exact same service, exact same cabin location, exact same price, exact same lounge chair and location ...... you get the drift.

I agree that it will never end and yes it's all about what someone else receives. The green eyed monster is alive and well on Cruise Critic. :rolleyes:

and now there is a thread-and just the start of the flowing river I'm thinking-how the D and D+ events are taking space away from all the other non diamond cruisers.

The street runs both ways. ;)

Sounds like if you are not diamond and don't sail in a suite-you'll have to find another cruise line to vacation on because the little guy will get one small corner of a huge massive ship!! :p

Very true. I don't see the Diamond and Plus people complaining about keeping the little guy out of the Diamond and Concierge lounges. I don't see them complaining about making the little guy wait to board the ship after they do. It is all about jealousy.

Oh I think that comment is painfully inaccurate. While the best cabin I've ever sailed in was a JS and the majority of the rest are interiors, this is NOT a "karma" thing. Why would someone who pays extra for amenities be looked at as a bad person who deserves bad in return???

I doubt most of them are thinking, "Boy everyone on this ship who isn't in a suite is a real dirtbag." Am I COMPLETELY envious of suite guests. You bet. But (except for those damn roped off deck chairs) I certainly think if they paid $3,000pp for the same cruise I paid $500 for, they certainly deserve to not eat breakfast with us losers, a mint on their pillow and a robe in their cabin.

I mean...it's not like they were in steerage and someone handed them a Diamond Lounge key and they went in and had free drinks for 2 1/2 hours. Now THAT'S sick! :p

wow--you keep bringing this up.........You must be very proud...:rolleyes:

I have to disagree with you there. I don't care if suite guests get perks in their rooms. I don't care if they get free "stuff" around the ship. But it is a bit annoying to see empty seats at a show or by the pool while others are looking for a place to sit. When we were on Adventure the "guard" for the suite passenger seats didn't leave until approx. 10 minutes after the show started. Two rows of prime seats were almost completely empty.

This is an interesting thread.

I booked my first cruise ever recently, and I choose the cheapest, unassigned inside room I could find. I figured that if I spend more than an hour or two awake in my room, this vacation will be an epic failure. I was under the impression that every cruiser gets the same cruise, except for the cabin. It still seems that way as well. I couldn't care less about a special lounge (I highly doubt I'll consume the cost difference in free booze), but maybe the pool-chairs would annoy me. But I guess it's like anything in life... you get what you pay for.

I see the different cabin sizes like the seats on an airplane. I don't complain about first-class getting bigger seats; I bask in the glory of the money I saved by sitting in a smaller one for a few hours.

I have to disagree with you there. I don't care if suite guests get perks in their rooms. I don't care if they get free "stuff" around the ship. But it is a bit annoying to see empty seats at a show or by the pool while others are looking for a place to sit. When we were on Adventure the "guard" for the suite passenger seats didn't leave until approx. 10 minutes after the show started. Two rows of prime seats were almost completely empty.

I agree with you too. I could care less what people get in their rooms. But it seems everyone cries 'jealousy' when people bring up VALID points about areas that were available in the price of someone's cruise suddenly becoming unavailable in the same price of someone's cruise, such as the lounge chair. I have a pool at home and don't go to it or the lounge chairs on my cruises - I can do that at home, you know? But what exactly is it that everyone thinks people are jealous of? I don't get it.:confused: I mean, the perks I've read about suites on RCCL are nothing to be jealous of at all....if you added them up by price they would usually not equal the amount you pay for them - unless you consume lots of alcohol regularly on your cruise and you can drink for free for an hour or two in the overcrowded lounge - that's the only thing I can think of....

I already posted few times on this thread and I still don't get it.

People, you still get to swim in the same pool, you still get to eat in the same restaurant, etc.etc.

What is the problem? It's a small section of the pool area that's blocked off, not the entire pool area. EVERYBODY still swims in the same water....

The suite passengers and frequent cruisers get a little pampering. They're the ones that spend 3, 4, 5x the money the average Joe Cruiser spends. As a company, why wouldn't you try to recognize that fact and treat them to some nice perks, including having pool lounge chair seats reserved for them? It's not like the cruise line closes off the entire pool area for 5 hours a day so the "special" guests have it all to themselves.

Get a grip folks.

I agree with you too. I could care less what people get in their rooms. But it seems everyone cries 'jealousy' when people bring up VALID points about areas that were available in the price of someone's cruise suddenly becoming unavailable in the same price of someone's cruise, such as the lounge chair. I have a pool at home and don't go to it or the lounge chairs on my cruises - I can do that at home, you know? But what exactly is it that everyone thinks people are jealous of? I don't get it.:confused: I mean, the perks I've read about suites on RCCL are nothing to be jealous of at all....if you added them up by price they would usually not equal the amount you pay for them - unless you consume lots of alcohol regularly on your cruise and you can drink for free for an hour or two in the overcrowded lounge - that's the only thing I can think of....

Trust me, no cruises in a suite for the perks! :D That's the point - and why RCI is trying to add more enticements to encourage booking a suite.

That is why all this talk of "second class citizen" is so puzzling.

People book suites for the suite. RCI is just trying to "sweeten" the deal....

And - again - no one is keeping anyone from having a lounge chair. There are plenty of them. Now if there comes a time when anyone can say that they went on a cruise and could not find a lounge chair, spoke to deck/pool worker and still could not get a lounge chair - then I will agree that something has been taken away from the rest of the cruisers. I have yet to see that happen. Anyone who wants a chair can still get one...... :eek:

Validity, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder. One person's VALID point is INVALID in another person's view.

Take lounge chairs, reserved seating, etc. as an example. The suite enhancements were annouced on February 17, 2009 to be implemented in March. I would say that the only people who have a valid point about not getting what they paid for are those who booked prior to Feb 17 and cruised in March/April 2009. Everybody else either could have canceled their cruise if they chose to, or booked it after the announcement and should have known that those areas were not included in the price of their cruise unless they booked a suite.

Validity, like beauty, is often in the eye of the beholder. One person's VALID point is INVALID in another person's view.

Take lounge chairs, reserved seating, etc. as an example. The suite enhancements were annouced on February 17, 2009 to be implemented in March. I would say that the only people who have a valid point about not getting what they paid for are those who booked prior to Feb 17 and cruised in March/April 2009. Everybody else either could have canceled their cruise if they chose to, or booked it after the announcement and should have known that those areas were not included in the price of their cruise unless they booked a suite.

Quite true.....

I already posted few times on this thread and I still don't get it.

People, you still get to swim in the same pool, you still get to eat in the same restaurant, etc.etc.

What is the problem? It's a small section of the pool area that's blocked off, not the entire pool area. EVERYBODY still swims in the same water....

The suite passengers and frequent cruisers get a little pampering. They're the ones that spend 3, 4, 5x the money the average Joe Cruiser spends. As a company, why wouldn't you try to recognize that fact and treat them to some nice perks, including having pool lounge chair seats reserved for them? It's not like the cruise line closes off the entire pool area for 5 hours a day so the "special" guests have it all to themselves.

Get a grip folks.

I think the issue is that it used to be "first come, first served" and seemed more egalitarian. So if you were willing to get to the pool at 7:15am to get a seat, you deserved a "good" seat (however you define that) because you got your butt out of bed early to get it (and this does not include chair hogs, which of course is a totally different issue. :). Same with the theater. If you took the time to get there early, you should get the seat you want. It didn't matter what kind of room you had or how many times you had cruised.

I guess it seems like RC has gone from a "Southwest" model to an "American" or "United" model.

I think the issue is that it used to be "first come, first served" and seemed more egalitarian. So if you were willing to get to the pool at 7:15am to get a seat, you deserved a "good" seat (however you define that) because you got your butt out of bed early to get it (and this does not include chair hogs, which of course is a totally different issue. :). Same with the theater. If you took the time to get there early, you should get the seat you want. It didn't matter what kind of room you had or how many times you had cruised.

I guess it seems like RC has gone from a "Southwest" model to an "American" or "United" model.

And you and anyone that does not like the policy can vote with your wallet and let the cruise line know about it. Simple as that.

I have to disagree with you there.

That´s fine with me.

I don't care if suite guests get perks in their rooms. I don't care if they get free "stuff" around the ship. But it is a bit annoying to see empty seats at a show or by the pool while others are looking for a place to sit. When we were on Adventure the "guard" for the suite passenger seats didn't leave until approx. 10 minutes after the show started. Two rows of prime seats were almost completely empty.

But the more important question is - How many people had to stand in the back, not being able to find a single seat in the Theater?

And you and anyone that does not like the policy can vote with your wallet and let the cruise line know about it. Simple as that.

As I posted earlier (see 128), I agree:

If you don't like the rules, then go on a different cruise line. No one is forcing anyone to go on RCI.

Archived