The Latest Irritant....

truffles2

In the past we have usually had three or four cruises on the books. We would research the trips thoroughly before leaving home and then book on board for the on-board credit. Well, we all know what happened to that! No incentive to book on-board now except for reduced deposit. We are now down to the upcoming cruise with nothing booked for the future after that. Last night I was poking around looking for something good when I noticed that the option for booking pre and post-cruise hotels had vanished. Seems that now you must call for prices, etc. Also many cabin categories demand that you call for price. This is a huge turn-off for me. I don't want to be having to call CS and trying to write down a bunch of numbers to consider. Looks like to me it would be beneficial for them to have those things readily available to the customer so that they would not take up so much time with a CS rep--hence you would need less reps and there is less "wait" time. The last thing I will do is spend a lot of time "holding" waiting for an agent.

I'm interested in what everyone else thinks about this. The only thing left now is the option for airfare. We almost always book air with RCI because Hsv has the highest fares in the nation. Will it be next?

I noticed several months ago, instead of saying "not available" when checking the availability of rooms/categories, it now says, "Not available online. Please call for availability." This implied that there is something available, just not online. When you call, and finally get through to a rep, they want all of your specifics before you can ask your question about availability. Then they tell you there is no availability. Frustrating to say the least, and a real time-waster! Why can't the web site just tell it like it is, what's available and what's not. I don't appreciate calling and waiting for a sales pitch or info gathering from RCI reps.

I totally agree, the web site could be much better utilized to free up agents for real problems or questions, hence increasing customer service and satisfaction.

I'm off of my soap box now......

Happy Cruising,

TnT

p.s. I've found some of the other online booking web sites, (especially the one with the travelling gnome), do include more information like hotels, insurance, with the related costs included. FYI

I also noticed recently when I booked my cruise that the availability of cabins on the website was completely different from the cabins available when I called a Rep. I ended up booking with a rep because of that. Makes me wonder if the representatives have access to a wider range of categories and cabins than the website does, as a method of getting people to call instead of book online.

It's frustrating, definitely. Yesterday I had a question and was transferred THREE TIMES to different reps before anyone could help me. Had to explain my situation to each representative. It's not fluid at all.

I also noticed recently when I booked my cruise that the availability of cabins on the website was completely different from the cabins available when I called a Rep. I ended up booking with a rep because of that. Makes me wonder if the representatives have access to a wider range of categories and cabins than the website does, as a method of getting people to call instead of book online.
No cruiseline shows all the available cabins online, it would give too much information to the competition about how cabin sales are going.

Why I use my TA. I do my research up front to determine my cruises of interest, then let her fingers do the walking.

Dispite the advantages of booking directly often listed on CC, I agree with you . . . as long as you have an experienced, competent TA. I must say I like the new reduced deposits for booking on board. I recently rebooked a Nov. 2010 TA which reduced my deposit from $900 to $200.

Before I see our TA, I know as much as a year out, where we are going to cruise, check out the cruise lines offering the best Itnerary & Price for that cruise, choose our cabin # with a couple extra incase 1st choice taken, rarely is because I book upon opening dates, anyway, then am ready to sit down with our TA, while she calles the cruise line agent to give out our request. I receive a price immediately for the intire cruise, and place our deposit. I know well ahead of seeing my TA what we will be looking at and generally come out with a better price.

We book our cruises a year out. I do all of the necessary research and we book while on the ship, where we get the discounted deposit and discount on our JS. I don't worry about OBC, since we use points from the credit card and any possible rate reductions.

Archived