Tip Question

kimpri

Since she mentioned tipping for her 9-yr. old, I know that our 2 kids will probably NEVER even step foot into the dining room, and that my hubby and I will do it only once or so.

But if I don't eat in the dining room, will they give our tips to the servers at the buffet??? How do they know?

dining staff also work in the buffet areas- so yes that money is also going to the people who serve the area also.

So taking tips off the card for kids who do not eat in the dining room-- some one somewhere has to serve them and clean up afterwards.

I am cruising w/ my hubby and an 11-yr. old and 5-yr. old. We're going on a 4-day Carnival cruise and $160 is being added automatically to our account for the tips/service charge. Is it perfectly fine if I just leave it exactly like that, and our wait staff and room steward and everyone else will get their due tips and know that we didn't stiff them? I would much rather just have the tips charged automatically this way and me not to have to worry about it at the end of every day. I will of course give tips to the porters and for room service, etc. We don't drink alcohol so don't have to worry about that. I just wanted to make sure that if I did leave the automatic charges, I wouldn't have to worry about making additional tips for servers and room attendants (unless I wanted to give something extra, but if I don't it's okay too?).....

Since she mentioned tipping for her 9-yr. old, I know that our 2 kids will probably NEVER even step foot into the dining room, and that my hubby and I will do it only once or so. On the only other cruise we went on, we had dinner by room service or buffet almost every night, and breakfast and lunch at the buffet. I'll try out the dining room once but I much rather enjoy eating privately in the comfort of my room and I don't really care about trying out exceptional food in a 5-star dining setting (I know, I am weird and probably not a good candidate for cruising.) But if I don't eat in the dining room, will they give our tips to the servers at the buffet??? How do they know?

Yes, if you leave your auto-tips in place, then everyone who is part of the tipping pool will get their share, whether you eat in the main dining room or not. While you may not EAT in the main dining room, whatever it is that you're getting from the buffet will have been "set up" there by the waiters, bus boys and other staff who would be waiting on you in the dining room. And served to you from some buffet "stations". And you'll be cleaned up after, both at the buffet and in your cabin. Same with the other more casual eating venues throughout the ship.

Note that, while you may not drink alcohol, if you (or the children) drink sodas, or specialty coffees, you will pay extra for those, and there is a service charge already added on.

If you leave the auto-tips in place, then you aren't really required to tip anything more to anyone (except the beverage charge).

Have a great cruise!

Archived