Anyone else disappointed with Sensation Cruise Dec 17-20?

Sassy1234

We just arrived home from the worst cruise we've ever been on. This was our 4th Carnival Cruise, and we left on Dec 17 for 3 nights on the Sensation. There were 4 of us...my husband and myself in one room, and our 21 year old son and his college buddy in another room. Granted, some of the issues were not the cruise lines fault...the weather was bad, seas were rough, and my husband was sick most of the cruise. But the service we experienced was not up to par. We had a dirty drinking glass on our balcony table the entire cruise that was never moved. Service in the dining room was not good. Our waiter was very friendly but seemed very overworked and didn't have time for us. One night all the tables around us were offered bread, and we waited for 10 minutes, and then had to ask for it. I asked for sour cream for my baked potato twice at one meal, and it was never brought to me. We've always been spoiled on past cruises so this was very disappointing. When the photographer came to our table we asked for a family picture with the three of us, and he refused to take the picture...instead took one of my husband and son, and a second picture of me and my son's friend. The clincher was the last night when my son and his friend returned to their room at 1am for bed, and found the room flooded with nasty water due to a pipe breaking over their room. I'm not sure where the water was from but it wasn't clean water... Granted, it was not the cruise lines fault that it happened however the way it was handled was. The boys were moved to another room...on a lower floor. When they arrived at the room, there was one King bed. They went back to the the desk and they did come and separate the beds but it was close to an hour later. By now it's 2:30 am. Luckily, there wasn't much in the room as they had already put out the suitcases but my son's tennis shoes were soaked with the dirty water. When I asked about compensation to buy a new pair of shoes, I was told "Can't you just wash them?". This morning my son received a letter saying that because we were valued customers, his account would be credited....$16!!! They refused to give us anything for his shoes, but finally gave me a letter with an address saying I could send in a receipt for a pair of shoes and reimbursement would be considered, but if I had private insurance I may wish to submit a claim to them. Needless to say, we will be looking at another cruise line for our next cruise....... We talked to some other fellow passengers, and others felt the cruise was not up to par either. Granted it was a short, rather inexpensive cruise (although we spent a lot of money on our Sign and Sail cards, so it's not like they didn't get any money from us) but we were very disappointed, even though we did still have fun and it was better than being at work!

We just arrived home from the worst cruise we've ever been on. This was our 4th Carnival Cruise, and we left on Dec 17 for 3 nights on the Sensation. There were 4 of us...my husband and myself in one room, and our 21 year old son and his college buddy in another room. Granted, some of the issues were not the cruise lines fault...the weather was bad, seas were rough, and my husband was sick most of the cruise. But the service we experienced was not up to par. We had a dirty drinking glass on our balcony table the entire cruise that was never moved. Service in the dining room was not good. Our waiter was very friendly but seemed very overworked and didn't have time for us. One night all the tables around us were offered bread, and we waited for 10 minutes, and then had to ask for it. I asked for sour cream for my baked potato twice at one meal, and it was never brought to me. We've always been spoiled on past cruises so this was very disappointing. When the photographer came to our table we asked for a family picture with the three of us, and he refused to take the picture...instead took one of my husband and son, and a second picture of me and my son's friend. The clincher was the last night when my son and his friend returned to their room at 1am for bed, and found the room flooded with nasty water due to a pipe breaking over their room. I'm not sure where the water was from but it wasn't clean water... Granted, it was not the cruise lines fault that it happened however the way it was handled was. The boys were moved to another room...on a lower floor. When they arrived at the room, there was one King bed. They went back to the the desk and they did come and separate the beds but it was close to an hour later. By now it's 2:30 am. Luckily, there wasn't much in the room as they had already put out the suitcases but my son's tennis shoes were soaked with the dirty water. When I asked about compensation to buy a new pair of shoes, I was told "Can't you just wash them?". This morning my son received a letter saying that because we were valued customers, his account would be credited....$16!!! They refused to give us anything for his shoes, but finally gave me a letter with an address saying I could send in a receipt for a pair of shoes and reimbursement would be considered, but if I had private insurance I may wish to submit a claim to them. Needless to say, we will be looking at another cruise line for our next cruise....... We talked to some other fellow passengers, and others felt the cruise was not up to par either. Granted it was a short, rather inexpensive cruise (although we spent a lot of money on our Sign and Sail cards, so it's not like they didn't get any money from us) but we were very disappointed, even though we did still have fun and it was better than being at work!

no sour cream???? now thats devastating.....

What is it with smart mouth remarks to people's reviews of their cruises on this board? No wonder people don't want to post less than stellar cruise reviews anymore. Me included.

To the OP, I'm sorry your cruise didn't turn out like what you've experienced on past cruises. I've had a few of those too. I hope you have a better cruise next time. :)

I have mentioned to my wife on numerous occasions about the wait staff being overworked with way too many tables.

If you are just starting out cruising you might not notice the changes. I have been cruising since 1991 and the days of the waitstaff stopping at your table for a quick chat are long gone, at least on CCL.

Bill

We just arrived home from the worst cruise we've ever been on.

You know, I cruised Imagination earlier this year (Sensation's twin sister). I had a good time on the cruise. The difference is, it was my very first cruise, so I didn't quite know what was considered good and not good in the cruising industry.

After Imagination I cruised on 2 other lines. Those two cruises made me realize, in comparison, how bad my Imagination cruise really was. Does that make sense? It was good, but not nearly as great as the next two.

I'm sure I'll try a newer Carnival ship in the future, but right now, my experiences have been so much better on other lines. Sorry Carnival fans, I'm just being honest here. To the Op, thanks for your report.

why? did someone put you in charge of the big boy pool? whatever that is.....it was a joke dummy....im a fan of sour cream myself....why dont you take a chill pill and stop trying to pick fights....

Wow - I took your lame comment in the same manner - did not seem like a joke to me either. Seems like maybe YOUR shorts are too tight.

You know, I cruised Imagination earlier this year (Sensation's twin sister). I had a good time on the cruise. The difference is, it was my very first cruise, so I didn't quite know what was considered good and not good in the cruising industry.

After Imagination I cruised on 2 other lines. Those two cruises made me realize, in comparison, how bad my Imagination cruise really was. Does that make sense? It was good, but not nearly as great as the next two.

I'm sure I'll try a newer Carnival ship in the future, but right now, my experiences have been so much better on other lines. Sorry Carnival fans, I'm just being honest here. To the Op, thanks for your report.

I had the exact opposite experience...my first two cruises were on two ncl ships and at the time, I thought they were great cruises....until I sailed the splendor....carnival provided an entirely better product, for much less money...

I had the exact opposite experience...my first two cruises were on two ncl ships and at the time, I thought they were great cruises....until I sailed the splendor....carnival provided an entirely better product, for much less money...

Ok, so you know what I'm talking about. Right now, my fave is Princess. Although, I have a feeling that may change when I sail the Equinox!;)

Wow - I took your lame comment in the same manner - did not seem like a joke to me either. Seems like maybe YOUR shorts are too tight.
why does it have to be a lame comment? because you didnt get the spirit in which I meant it? do I have to be long winded in explaining every little thing? you ever go to taco bell? every thing I ever order usually includes the words sour cream....if for some reason they dont have any, I would walk away without ordering...and yes..my shorts are probably a bit tight, and its probably got something to do with eating too much sour cream....if I wanted to bash the op, I would have used a few more words in doing it....thats not what I was doing....

Ok, so you know what I'm talking about. Right now, my fave is Princess. Although, I have a feeling that may change when I sail the Equinox!;)
when I was a kid, one of my favorite shows was the love boat...I always wanted to sail on princess because of that show...but im afraid that line would be "too nice" for my taste...

why does it have to be a lame comment? because you didnt get the spirit in which I meant it? do I have to be long winded in explaining every little thing? you ever go to taco bell? every thing I ever order usually includes the words sour cream....if for some reason they dont have any, I would walk away without ordering...and yes..my shorts are probably a bit tight, and its probably got something to do with eating too much sour cream....if I wanted to bash the op, I would have used a few more words in doing it....thats not what I was doing....

Sorry but however you might have meant it, I was about to post a similar- Stop being snotty- comment. If the only thing wrong with this cruise was the sour cream, I suspect nothing would have been said. But sometimes after one thing and another, the smallest thing can break the camels back. Try emoticons- I hate them but with the internet sometimes you need to use them to be certain that people hear the tone of voice.

when I was a kid, one of my favorite shows was the love boat...I always wanted to sail on princess because of that show...but im afraid that line would be "too nice" for my taste...

We traveled on Princess when the caribbean Princess was doing the Caribbean year round from Fort Lauderdale.

We cruised in the summer and found many families and people around the same age as the Carnival and RCI clientel.

We cruised on Princess to Alaska in late September and we were like kids on the ship compared to the others. We are in our early 50's.

I think if you did the Emerald Princess in the summer while it's doing the Caribbean you'd enjoy it.

Bill

Seems to be alot of people not happy with the way ccl is heading lets hope they are paying attention.:mad:

Often wondered if Mr. Cahill, or anyone from Carnival monitors Cruise Critics.Com? Certainly should be at least some concern with The Dream and increasing notice of over worked staff members on all the ships.

Sorry but however you might have meant it, I was about to post a similar- Stop being snotty- comment. If the only thing wrong with this cruise was the sour cream, I suspect nothing would have been said. But sometimes after one thing and another, the smallest thing can break the camels back. Try emoticons- I hate them but with the internet sometimes you need to use them to be certain that people hear the tone of voice.

sorry about the confusion...Ive never really had that straw breaking the camels back thing happen on a cruise, but there have been plenty of things that annoyed me and were less than great in my eyes...fortunately I met up with some great folks along the way who taught me how to appreciate the good things on a cruise and not dwell on the bad stuff...trust me, Im no cheerleader for any cruiseline, its just that lately ive been booking cruises 300+ days out....thats alot of time to sit around and look forward to something only to have it ruined by something small and maybe out of anyones control....so I just refuse to let it be ruined...

Stepping in what may be sewage or dirty water in your cabin better than being at work?:confused:

Hope your next cruise is better~!:)

Out of 14 cruises we had one that we refer to as the "Cruise from down below." It is funny, not so much as it is happening, but there were alot of things that happened that added up to one disappointment. Then as I sat to write the review, I felt like I was being petty and knew I would be bashed. Everyone handles things differently. At the time it was annoying and most of it could have been avoided. The Maitre D became like family and visited our table every night. Fortunately, none of it had to do with the diningroom or his staff. I did learn not to take the last sailing before a ship goes to drydock! The crew was ordered to start the renovations on day one of our cruise and it continued the rest of the cruise.

Seems to be alot of people not happy with the way ccl is heading lets hope they are paying attention.:mad:

Sorry....but a incident here and there not being up to par is not ALOT....now who is exxxxxxaggggggerating?????

We have cruised 8 times last year and 6 this year.... and are happy with the way ccl is heading....

Often wondered if Mr. Cahill, or anyone from Carnival monitors Cruise Critics.Com? Certainly should be at least some concern with The Dream and increasing notice of over worked staff members on all the ships.

I am not sure but by the way gma and lhp kiss up i still think they may work for ccl:) And i really do not care how many cruises you have been on or have in the future it does not make you king:) like i said before my first 10 or so cruises on ccl were great but they have let customer service go downhill lately. It is not to hard if you would quit kissing up to your boss long enough to just take a look at the posts and notice the customer service complaints are increasing. Its not my opinion it is a (fact)wake up:rolleyes:.

I am not sure but by the way gma and lhp kiss up i still think they may work for ccl:) And i really do not care how many cruises you have been on or have in the future it does not make you king:) like i said before my first 10 or so cruises on ccl were great but they have let customer service go downhill lately. It is not to hard if you would quit kissing up to your boss long enough to just take a look at the posts and notice the customer service complaints are increasing. Its not my opinion it is a (fact)wake up:rolleyes:.

read your contract. It's gotta be in there somewhere.:D

Bill

I'm not sure how true this is, at least in comparison to how it has always been. Are there really more complaints now than in the past or are you just remembering it that way.

Don't forget that in the last decade, CCL (and the rest of the cruise industry) has VASTLY increased the number of berths they have sailing every week. With literally tens of thousands more people sailing, it is to be expected, statistically, that there would be more complaints. That would be the case whether or not the quality of the product has declined.

I'm sure Cruise Critic's membership has also increased exponentially, over the years. Therefore, the number of people giving their opinions has multiplied. This, too, would bring about more complaints, whether or not the quality of the product has declined.

Finally, I think that we are undergoing a cultural shift in which now people feel much more free in expressing their opinions about everything (witness the thousands of blogs about every topic under the sun). Whereas in years past, people may have had negative experiences but sucked them up or kept them to themselves, today people almost feel COMPELLED to share their thoughts and feelings on everything with the world.

I am glad that this OP (and other OP's) have shared the truth of their experiences. I think that is valuable information. On the other hand, we need to beware of rashly extrapolating this type of anecdotal evidence into faulty conclusions that the sky is falling...

Actifed will help with this;)

How 'bout this one :eek:

I am sure he spends a good portion of his day reading this.:rolleyes:

Archived