Diamond Princess Cabin Question

merapi

I have just found out that we have been allocated cabin E100 (Emerald Deck) for our Diamond Princess cruise next March. This oceanview cabin is right at the bow of the ship, above but forward of the Princess Theatre.

We have always had cabins towards the back of any ship we have cruised on and wonder if there will be a lot more motion so far forward (and also if there will be noise leakage from the theatre).

If anyone has had a cabin in this part of the ship, I would appreciate your comments on its suitability.

I have just found out that we have been allocated cabin E100 (Emerald Deck) for our Diamond Princess cruise next March. This oceanview cabin is right at the bow of the ship, above but forward of the Princess Theatre.

We have always had cabins towards the back of any ship we have cruised on and wonder if there will be a lot more motion so far forward (and also if there will be noise leakage from the theatre).

If anyone has had a cabin in this part of the ship, I would appreciate your comments on its suitability.

Hi, I had E207 recently on the Diamond which is also right up front and over the theatre. We occasionally heard some noise but honestly nothing significant...I think people with balconies get more noise when the door is open. Generally when the theatre is in use you will be out and about around the ship.

There is always a little more motion in any ship towards the bow or the stern, but the Diamond is a very, very big ship she needs a significant sea to get any real movement at all.

I have sailed on the Diamond twice this year, she is a big beautiful ship and I am sure you will love her as much as the rest of her fans do.

You can always discuss your cabin allocation with your T/A or Princess it may be possible to move to another location if you are still worried about it.

Have a good time.

I have just found out that we have been allocated cabin E100 (Emerald Deck) for our Diamond Princess cruise next March.

I remember Cheryl - WildWeston saying she had been allocated E105 on the Dec 10 cruise (not sure if she had a visit from the upgrade fairy).... unfortunately:D:D for them they are due off the Diamond tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed she drops in and does a review for us soon....cheers Shiona

It must be cabin allocation time. We just received our cabin allocation for a cruise we booked two months ago. We are cruising on the Diamond Princess in February from Sydney to Bangkok for 20 nights in a balcony cabin (we are so excited). We will look after her for you!!!

We booked a BF guarantee and have been allocated A209, which is on the Aloha deck (Deck 12) and is three cabins from the front on the starboard side, but it's actually further back because there's a big empty space in front, so we are actually about 8 cabins back.

I'm pretty happy with this allocation as there is nothing above or below us except cabins. Has anyone else had a cabin on our deck up the front (what's in that empty beige space up front - just curious).

We are really looking forward to our cruise. Have enjoyed checking our cruise personaliser every day, and will continue to check just in case!!!

Can't wait to see what this beautiful ship has to offer! We are already thinking about our next cruise - it's fun deciding where to go, which ship to cruise on and watching all the cruise specials!!! Fun times!

Hi, I had E207 recently on the Diamond which is also right up front and over the theatre. We occasionally heard some noise but honestly nothing significant...I think people with balconies get more noise when the door is open. Generally when the theatre is in use you will be out and about around the ship.

There is always a little more motion in any ship towards the bow or the stern, but the Diamond is a very, very big ship she needs a significant sea to get any real movement at all.

I have sailed on the Diamond twice this year, she is a big beautiful ship and I am sure you will love her as much as the rest of her fans do.

You can always discuss your cabin allocation with your T/A or Princess it may be possible to move to another location if you are still worried about it.

Have a good time.

Thanks for this information and for your good wishes. Yes, it's getting quite close now and the excitement is building. It sounds like the room should be ok. We were on a GG guarantee (obstructed oceanview further back on the same deck) and have been upgraded to DD. It is a LONG walk to all the eating areas, though this may be a good thing if the food is as good as we have heard. Lots of exercise will be beneficial, LOL!

Any other information you can give us on the Diamond will be gratefully received. I really haven't heard a bad word about it and lots of postive comments.

I presume we'll need a US plug adapter in the cabin to recharge batteries etc.

We are really looking forward to our cruise. Have enjoyed checking our cruise personaliser every day, and will continue to check just in case!!!

Can't wait to see what this beautiful ship has to offer! We are already thinking about our next cruise - it's fun deciding where to go, which ship to cruise on and watching all the cruise specials!!! Fun times!

Yes, it can get quite addictive, can't it? Now if only Princess would rescind their recent unfair and restrictive ban on booking their cruises through overseas TAs, we might book more Princess cruises rather than look elsewhere.

Thanks for this information and for your good wishes. Yes, it's getting quite close now and the excitement is building. It sounds like the room should be ok. We were on a GG guarantee (obstructed oceanview further back on the same deck) and have been upgraded to DD. It is a LONG walk to all the eating areas, though this may be a good thing if the food is as good as we have heard. Lots of exercise will be beneficial, LOL!

Any other information you can give us on the Diamond will be gratefully received. I really haven't heard a bad word about it and lots of postive comments.

I presume we'll need a US plug adapter in the cabin to recharge batteries etc.

You can ask your steward for an adapter for a $10USD deposit and you get it back when you hand the adapter back.

The only minor irritation is that in our twin the power point was behind the bed....had to pull the bed out to get at it. If you have a few appliances you might want to take a small power board to save pulling the bed in and out.

Check out our roll call from the Bangkok to Sydney on the 22nd November..,you will find photos and lots of Diamond fanatics over there.

You can ask your steward for an adapter for a $10USD deposit and you get it back when you hand the adapter back.

The only minor irritation is that in our twin the power point was behind the bed....had to pull the bed out to get at it. If you have a few appliances you might want to take a small power board to save pulling the bed in and out.

Check out our roll call from the Bangkok to Sydney on the 22nd November..,you will find photos and lots of Diamond fanatics over there.

Good advice, thank you. We ALWAYS take a power board these days - too many gadgets that need recharging and the extra length helps too.

I'll check out that thread.

Just got off today and we had cabin E105, no problem at all

Just got off today and we had cabin E105, no problem at all

Hi, thanks for allaying my concerns. I've been trying to find out if these DD category cabins look out on the Promenade Deck walking track and if they do, how much privacy is there in opening the window curtains?

Also I would value any comments you have on your recently completed cruise. We went to Station Pier in Melboune recently when the Diamond and Sun Princess ships were in port (before the bomb scare) and she looked fantastic.

We had cabin E 100 on the Diamond for 18 wonderful nights and disembarked on Dec 10th. I hope you enjoy the Diamond as much as we did.

It was an "upgrade" from an obstructed view for us. Supposedly a Deluxe Window cabin however it is exactly the same as the other window cabins. We were very happy in it however it is a LONG walk to the buffet:p. Which is probably quite a good thing considering the calories we would have walked off. We didn't really find the motion up front to be too bad and definitely no worse than at the back of the ship. We found the cabin to be quiet other than when we tendered and they had to use the anchors. There was definitely no noise from the theatre. There is also a "secret "door just passed your cabin that takes you out to the front of the ship and we had a few quiet drinks there when it wasn't too windy. We would also use the door to go to the lounge chairs which are on the promenade deck. It took me a while to get used to people walking past our window as the cabin is on the Upper Promenade deck but they do lock it up at night. The windows are tinted though so people walking past can't see in.

I hope that you are lucky enough to get the same cabin attendant that we did. His name was John and he was just so good.

We had cabin E 100 on the Diamond for 18 wonderful nights and disembarked on Dec 10th. I hope you enjoy the Diamond as much as we did.

It was an "upgrade" from an obstructed view for us. Supposedly a Deluxe Window cabin however it is exactly the same as the other window cabins. We were very happy in it however it is a LONG walk to the buffet:p. Which is probably quite a good thing considering the calories we would have walked off. We didn't really find the motion up front to be too bad and definitely no worse than at the back of the ship. We found the cabin to be quiet other than when we tendered and they had to use the anchors. There was definitely no noise from the theatre. There is also a "secret "door just passed your cabin that takes you out to the front of the ship and we had a few quiet drinks there when it wasn't too windy. We would also use the door to go to the lounge chairs which are on the promenade deck. It took me a while to get used to people walking past our window as the cabin is on the Upper Promenade deck but they do lock it up at night. The windows are tinted though so people walking past can't see in.

I hope that you are lucky enough to get the same cabin attendant that we did. His name was John and he was just so good.

Thank you so much Lizzy77 (I notice you're a local) - I think we can now rest easily about this cabin. Yes the long walks to the food will no doubt prove beneficial in offsetting some of the damage done.:) The secret door sounds intriguing so we must check that out. And I'll keep a look out for John.

How did you find the rest of the cruise? Most people have only had positive things to say about the ship and the service.

Glenn

Hi Merapi. Yes we loved the Diamond Princess it has to be my favourite ship. It can be a bit tricky to find your way around as the kitchens are right in the middle of the ship on decks 5 and 6. The best way to get around is to go to deck 7 as it goes straight thro and work your way from there.

The food in the dining rooms were excellent but the buffet - well it's just a buffet to me. We couldn't fault the crew as they were all wonderful especially our John. He always seemed to know when we left our cabin and it was sparkly clean when we returned. I judge our cabin stewards by their ability to be unobtrusive and that he was;).

We had a huge group on our Roll Call and all these folks added to the wonderful time we spent on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise and look after our cabin.:)

Hi, thanks for allaying my concerns. I've been trying to find out if these DD category cabins look out on the Promenade Deck walking track and if they do, how much privacy is there in opening the window curtains?

Also I would value any comments you have on your recently completed cruise. We went to Station Pier in Melboune recently when the Diamond and Sun Princess ships were in port (before the bomb scare) and she looked fantastic.

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. About the privacy I was worried about that, but the windows are mirrored on the outside, can't say I saw anyone look in. We did go around and have a look, but didn't see in. There are two lots of curtains, a thin one, then a heavier one over the top. We ate in the buffet for breakfast and we would walk all the way down the hall to the end of the ship to get to the buffet ( this was our morning exercise!) One good thing about being forward is no-one walks past your cabin :)

What else can I tell you, cruise director was good, food was delish, we ate in the dining room at lunch and one of the resturants for dinner, shows were good. Undercover warm pool area, hot waffles yum, good staff, anything in particular you want to know just ask, there are heaps of people just of the Asian cruise also that will be able to tell you. It's exciting isn't it, you just want to know all about it.

Hi Merapi. Yes we loved the Diamond Princess it has to be my favourite ship. It can be a bit tricky to find your way around as the kitchens are right in the middle of the ship on decks 5 and 6. The best way to get around is to go to deck 7 as it goes straight thro and work your way from there.

The food in the dining rooms were excellent but the buffet - well it's just a buffet to me. We couldn't fault the crew as they were all wonderful especially our John. He always seemed to know when we left our cabin and it was sparkly clean when we returned. I judge our cabin stewards by their ability to be unobtrusive and that he was;).

We had a huge group on our Roll Call and all these folks added to the wonderful time we spent on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise and look after our cabin.:)

We shall! We recently returned from a short Pacific cruise on Pacific Sun and we tried very hard to avoid the buffet there after a cursory look. Even though buffets are buffets, I don't think all buffets are created equal. The ones on PS were far worse than on Sun Princess and the Celebrity ship we have previously been on.

We are certainly looking forward to trying out the various dining rooms on Diamond Princess. Is one of the general dining rooms any better than the others?

Sorry I took so long to get back to you. About the privacy I was worried about that, but the windows are mirrored on the outside, can't say I saw anyone look in. We did go around and have a look, but didn't see in. There are two lots of curtains, a thin one, then a heavier one over the top. We ate in the buffet for breakfast and we would walk all the way down the hall to the end of the ship to get to the buffet ( this was our morning exercise!) One good thing about being forward is no-one walks past your cabin :)

What else can I tell you, cruise director was good, food was delish, we ate in the dining room at lunch and one of the resturants for dinner, shows were good. Undercover warm pool area, hot waffles yum, good staff, anything in particular you want to know just ask, there are heaps of people just of the Asian cruise also that will be able to tell you. It's exciting isn't it, you just want to know all about it.

Mmm! Fresh waffles...better start exercising now! Thanks for explaining about the mirrored windows and you make a good point about the lack of traffic near the forward cabins. Yes it IS exciting; we are counting down until that magical day in March when we will have 16 days to explore all the great things about the ship (and some wonderful stopovers as well).

There are alternatives to the buffet, as well as the dining room (my personal preference, I love to chat!) There is an omlette station up on deck where you normal get your hamburgers...I am told they were very very good. Of course you can also get a continental breakfast delivered to your stateroom, this would include pastries, cereal, fresh fruit, tea or coffee toast, yoghurt etc. No charge for this service.

You can easily see why the sea air shrinks your clothes.:eek:

Archived