Skagway Excursion Question

Maverick6969

After extensive research and reading these boards for much needed information, my wife and I are finalizing all of the excursions for our Alaskan cruise/tour next year. The only two things we haven't firmed up is our full day in Anchorage prior to the land tour starting but we are planning on renting a car and driving south for the day. so many people said that the scenery is fantastic.

For the final excursion, I was looking at taking the Jeep Wrangler 4-wheel drive Yukon trip (approx 5-1/2 hours) while in Skagway. I looked at the train trip but am leaning towards the off-road vehicles. Has anyone ever done this and, if so, can you give the pros/cons. I just feel that it may be more fun than sitting on a train all day - especially since I will be on one going from Denali to Whittier before boarding the Coral Princess.

Thanks for your help with this.

Murray can give you details on the jeep tour, some, are meerly a "follow the leader", so so at best. I have passed many on the Klondike Highway. So I would assume that the off road is what you may want the details on. The White Pass RR and Alaska RR are not comparable however. If you happen to be interested in history, the White Pass is an excellent choice. You probably already know, your Denali/Whittier transfer is 10 hours, but relax and be "ready" for the last two hours, since that is your most scenic portion. :) You do have table seating, with 2 riding backward, but scenery is great in "both" directions, here. :)

As for your Anchorage day- plan well. You can do Turnagain Arm in a couple hours, so you can consider more. I don't recommend round trip Seward in a single day, no time to include most of their superb activities. I would suggest you may want to consider getting an early start and fill your day with going north and south out of Anchorage. Breaking up the drive. Hatcher Pass is excellent with Independence Mine worthwhile. Eklutna Spirit House tours, extremely unique and interesting. IF interested in Glacier treking, considering Matanuska Glacier is very doable on day trips out of Anchorage.

... For the final excursion, I was looking at taking the Jeep Wrangler 4-wheel drive Yukon trip (approx 5-1/2 hours) while in Skagway. I looked at the train trip but am leaning towards the off-road vehicles.

This is just the world's most expensive car rental without the flexibility that a real car rental offers (you travel in a parade that is legislated to be a maximum of 6 vehicles but sometimes two 6-vehicle groups travel together). "Off-road" isn't really true - simply off-pavement for about 5% of the trip. The Jeeps only go to an old mine tailings pond where a careful driver can take a regular car. The only true off-road trip, which goes several miles past the Jeep turn-around point, up above tree-line to where the spectacular views are, is the one offered by Frontier - http://www.frontierexcursions.com/tour/y_4x4/y_4x4.html

We're planning on going to Skagway on a cruise in July. Thought the Jewell Gardens might be nice to see ; and maybe helicopter tour. What do you think? Already did the Yukon railroad when we did the inside cruise 10 years ago. Was EXCELLENT!

We're planning on going to Skagway on a cruise in July. Thought the Jewell Gardens might be nice to see ; and maybe helicopter tour. What do you think? Already did the Yukon railroad when we did the inside cruise 10 years ago. Was EXCELLENT!

I would highly recommend a glacier flightseeing. Did this with Mountain Flying Service a few years back. It was a fixed wing plane, not a helicopter.

Hi; thanks for your reply. HOwever, I did find one on line from Skagway. It was with Mccormickcharters. (A private 2 - hour tour) Have you heard about them?

Nope- and 2 hours is a poor choice to consider. IF going out of there for any prayer of sighting anything, I would speculate you are going to have to consider at least a half/full day trip.

What about taking a small boat cruise in Skagway; will we see wildlife, whales, etc.?

Although Skagway is not known for whales, we have been there three times and each time we have seen humpback whales while docked. This past September we saw three humpbacks just going back and forth for over an hour close to shore. Blows, flukes, tail slaps, etc. I am sure that is not normal but whales are present at times.

Although Skagway is not known for whales, we have been there three times and each time we have seen humpback whales while docked. This past September we saw three humpbacks just going back and forth for over an hour close to shore. Blows, flukes, tail slaps, etc. I am sure that is not normal but whales are present at times.

For a place to offer whale watch boat tours, it HAS to have consistant sightings, Skagway does not.

You got INCREDIBLY lucky. On my hundreds of trips to Skagway I usually go down the sea and perhaps 1 trip in 10 see whales. And I've had no better luck on boat/ferry trips to Haines and Juneau.

You got INCREDIBLY lucky. On my hundreds of trips to Skagway I usually go down the sea and perhaps 1 trip in 10 see whales. And I've had no better luck on boat/ferry trips to Haines and Juneau.

Yep I have been lucky. The first two times were not that exciting, a couple of blows with a couple of flukes but this last time was exceptional. The whales just going back and forth. It was amazing. Almost thought I was going through Icy Strait (well not that good..haha)

Does it have to be 4X4, offroad type driving? We rented a car in Skagway and drove up to Emerald Lake and saw five brown bears on the way. We enjoyed the scenery much more by being able to stop whenever we wanted. We also enjoyed lunch at Cinnamon Cache.

Archived