Royal Carribean has locked up my checking account! Help!

vtgirl

Thank you all for this information. To clarify, their debit card is issued by a bank tied to an investment account, so there are sufficient funds to cover anything they would spend on a cruise. But, I have no idea what the daily limit is. So, in order to keep it simple, I'll just put their S&S on my AMEX card. That's what I always do to pay for our cruises so I can control what's going on (and not miss price drops or final payment!). Naturally, they pay me back. There's no way I could explain to them a hold on their money, although I now understand it, and I don't even want to try. Thanks again for saving us a lot of potential grief.

Wow, I had never heard of that. Thanks.

RCCL gives you cash back if there is a cash balance left on your SeaPass account. I ususally take Traveler's Checks with me specifically for the purpose of paying on my account. That way I don't have a big credit card balance to look forward to when I get home. You can use cash for your SeaPass account. You have to go to the Pursers's desk on the ship and give them the cash rather than giving it to the RCCL check-in reps prior to boarding.

OK..I have a quick question about this...we have about 500.00 OBC on our upcoming cruise...We only have a debit card, and do not have several thousand dollars in the acct on a regular basis....will they be able to see this OBC when we check in..because we most likely will stay within the 500.00 or will settle with cash above that amount..will I still have to provide my debit card?

Thanks

Ryan

On debarkation morning if you own RCI any money they will not let you off the ship until your account is settled.

The one thing DW and I hate about cruising is getting off the ship on debarkation morning. You mean that all we have to do to avoid it is owe RCI some $s? We will never have to debark again!

OK..I have a quick question about this...we have about 500.00 OBC on our upcoming cruise...We only have a debit card, and do not have several thousand dollars in the acct on a regular basis....will they be able to see this OBC when we check in..because we most likely will stay within the 500.00 or will settle with cash above that amount..will I still have to provide my debit card?

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan, save yourself the hassle and draw some money out of the debit card before you board and just put that CASH money on the account. I would put something smallish, like $100 cash. Keep an eye on your account. When it gets close, I assure you, they will let you know. ;) (a letter will be stuck under your door)

And if after the cruise, if you have money from the cash leftover, they will cut you a check for the difference.

I just came off of a 3 nighter on the Monarch which I used my debit card for. I also had some OBC. Royal did NOT put any hold for any amount on my card at all through the 3 days. Perhaps it was because of the OBC, not really sure, but I used my debit card 2 times now and have never had a hold put on either time, once with OBC, once without.

That being said, I intend to open a savings account with a debit card completely separate from my checking so if there is a hold put on it, it doesn't tie up our living expenses. I usually put some cash on our onboard account and only leave a small balance left anyway.

I just came off of a 3 nighter on the Monarch which I used my debit card for. I also had some OBC. Royal did NOT put any hold for any amount on my card at all through the 3 days. Perhaps it was because of the OBC, not really sure, but I used my debit card 2 times now and have never had a hold put on either time, once with OBC, once without.

That being said, I intend to open a savings account with a debit card completely separate from my checking so if there is a hold put on it, it doesn't tie up our living expenses. I usually put some cash on our onboard account and only leave a small balance left anyway.

Just an FYI, you can't use a debit card attached to a savings account for any purchases. Just like you can't use it at a gas pump. It has to be attached to a checking account in order to make check card purchases.

Just an FYI, you can't use a debit card attached to a savings account for any purchases. Just like you can't use it at a gas pump. It has to be attached to a checking account in order to make check card purchases.

Then why can you attach a card to a savings account. What is the point of having a card that you can't make any purchases with?:confused:

Ryan, save yourself the hassle and draw some money out of the debit card before you board and just put that CASH money on the account. I would put something smallish, like $100 cash. Keep an eye on your account. When it gets close, I assure you, they will let you know. ;) (a letter will be stuck under your door)

And if after the cruise, if you have money from the cash leftover, they will cut you a check for the difference. __________________

That still doesn't answer my question...say we do put 100.00 down when we go...does that mean that we will have to get near the end of the 600.00 before they send us a note?

Vtgirl, I hope your bank has been able to release the holds on your account.As a banker I always recommend my clients not use their debit cards on trips, whether domestic or foreign....besides the potential fraud issues, the cummulative holds from hotels, rent-a-cars, cruise lines can be confusing, expensive and time-consuming to deal with. Not to mention the possibility of the holds causing insufficient funds charges to accrue and possibly snowball into more charges. Most banks are allowing the debit cards to overdraw customers accounts, resulting in more fees to the banks. And NEVER use a debit card for online purchases from websites. New banking regs in Jan and Feb of 2010 will prevent banks from overdrawing accounts with debit card transactions unless the customers opt-in. You can avoid all these hassles by using a credit card for your trip.;)

I used a debit card on Explorer of the Seas last week and noticed they had been getting approvals all throughout the week for various amounts that we were charging. I got up this morning to realize that they put through the entire amount of our Sail and Sign bill plus the approvals are still on my account. So, they have frozen an extra 1700 dollars in my account. I called my bank and the lady was really nice and gave me the instructions to get them to fax a letter and release the holds. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Will Royal Carribean help me? I am FREAKING OUT.

Unfortunately, when you use credit cards and especially debit cards

it is standard practice to get a pre approval which temporarily blocks access to those funds. It can take up to 30 days but generaly unused funds on accounts are released back within 10 business days. Unfortunately this is the holiday season and it may take e few extra days. It sounds silly but it is what it is.

And if after the cruise, if you have money from the cash leftover, they will cut you a check for the difference.

When I was on Radiance they actually paid me cash on the last day when I went to settle my account. It was under $10.

It will be straightened out....

Another lesson learned the hardway.

Don't ever' date=' ever use your debit card on a cruise except to pull cash from an ATM.[/quote']

I have gotten away from using my debit card as well as my credit cards. On Rhapsody in June they kept authorizing the same charges over and over that it tied up all funds on my credit card and I had to use another credit card to pay for everything. I have also had bad experiences with my debit card. I will only use traveler's checks or cash now.

That still doesn't answer my question...say we do put 100.00 down when we go...does that mean that we will have to get near the end of the 600.00 before they send us a note?

They will allow you to charge $300 over the amount you put on the account before stopping your charging. You will, however, receive a letter in your cabin each morning and evening for each time you are over what you put down to remind you to come and give them more money. This was not difficult for me as I could monitor my spending on the TV in the cabin.

It really does not matter if you have a Debit Card or Credit Card. They put a hold for a certain amount on either one to be certain there is coverage for the estimated amount spent.
I certainly does matter. Big differnce between a debit card and a credit card.Too many horror stories about debit cards, never use ours just keep them for an absolute emergency.

Just to get some terminology out there for all those confused:

ATM Card - Card a bank issues you to for ATM transactions so as not to have to enter the branch. It usually is not affiliated with Visa, MC, AMEX and can sometimes be used at POS terminals if the ATM network their bank is affiliated with is available via the terminal. For example, if you look at the back of the ATM card, you might have a STAR, Interlink, PULSE, NYCE, ACCEL, CIRUS, etc logo or multiple logos on the back. If that symbol is on the merchant's doors, etc, you can usually use your ATM card there and put in your PIN that you would put in at the ATM terminal. These can also be used online without your PIN in some instances, but it is very rare. The transfer of funds is literally instant and if you don't have the funds, your transaction will not go thru. You can choose to have multiple accounts linked to it (checking always, savings, money market, etc).

Debit/Check Card - Same characteristics as above ATM card, however, it also has the added feature with being associated with a large credit card transaction compnay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, Discover). This affords some added features, such as using the card as a credit card at places where they don't accept ATM cards for payment. The card is assigned a primary account, more than likely a checking account, and is treated like a credit card. They can put holds for charges as the process for a credit card payment is different than an ATM card payment. Credit card payments follow this type of flow:

Consume swipes card at terminal or uses it online. The processor checks to make sure there is enough money in the account, as well as validating numbers, expiration dates, etc. The hold is then put on the account. Between 1-3 days later, the hold is "settled" and the money is deducted from your account and moved to the merchant's account.

Debit/Check cards are nice in that for the most part they can be used anywhere that type of credit card is accepted. They do have some limits in the amount you can charge per day, however, these can always be changed by the consumer and are there for protection of both the bank and consumer. You get some protection on your purchases just like the credit card and it's pretty easy for dispute. The downfall is that when holds are put on your card, they tie up the money in the account.

Someone who is aware of their bank accounts and financial situation can easily use a debit card for almost everything every day and never have a problem. I've done it for years and always carry a cash reserve (about $100) iin the event the place I'm at doesn't take my Visa check card or a credit card. I wouldn't use it where multiple holds are going to be put on the card over time and it will tie up cash.

If they put multiple holds up for you, they really should be clearing those hold by settling the transaction after the last day of the cruise. Creating a separate transaction for the whole balance while other holds are out there can cause problems, such as what the OP has. I know in our system (we take between 50-60k transaction via CC per day), where we have multiple holds, each hold is settled. We do not create a new hold/settlement record for the holds that are out there.

Call your bank and RCI. Most banks will drop the holds for you within 24 hours, other might take 3-5 days to drop. If you leave it be, it should drop in 7-10 business day.

Good luck.

I wanted to thank you all for your advice. Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but we went out of town for Christmas. I called the bank and they said RCCL had to send a fax (as someone mentioned) and when I called RCCL, the girl knew exactly what I was talking about and took care of it that day. I had to follow up with my bank two more times because even though they were saying, "We have the fax, the holds will be dropped." It didn't happen the first time around. I think next time, I am going to use cash to set up the S and S account.

You don't have to wait for them to send you a letter. You can keep an eye on your own account. There are a few different ways. You can use your in cabin TV and check your "portfolio" amount. It will show you all of your spending with totals.

You can stop at customer relations and ask them for your balance.

Or you could even keep your receipts. And keep your own running total.

The easiest is the TV. ;)

vtgirl - I am glad it all worked out in the end. :)

Archived