Boarding the ship etc.

blk1964

I have a question (yeah, whats different!). Once you board the ship, but before it leaves, what do you do? Im going on the Wonder, a four night cruise. Im HOPING to get on the boat by 11am? Im flying in the night before so we are going to just get up and go over to the port on departure day. Should I use the pre sail time to check out the Oceaneers lab, walk around, get the lay of the ship? Are the pools open? I know check in starts at around 10am or so? We have filled out our forms on line, so we go to the port, wait around and we get on, or do we get assigned a group boarding time? The last cruise I went on was just a two night cruise to nowhere out of Boston on the NCL Gem, and I was kind of deer in the headlights and didnt really use the time before leaving to make dining reservations etc. By the time I figured out where everything was it was time to come home!

The port opens at 10. The check in inside the terminal start at 10:30 and boarding is usually 11:30 to noon. I fyou do on line check in it will go fast.

While you wait there are small TV's with cartoons playing an outdoor observaion area for photos and please use on line check in for the kids, then you can go to the kids check in area in the terminal (by the cafe) to get their wrist bands and to get questions answered.

Most people watch and meet others from their Roll call threads. When you check in you will be given a boarding number. When its called you may board. It really goes fast, so dont worry if you get a large number.

Characters will appear in the terminal for photos too while your waiting.

Once on board you cant go to your room until 1:30 to get rid of your carry on luggage but you can go to lunch either in Parrot Cay or go up to deck 9 to the buffet up there.

The pools are open so pack swim suits in your carry on or wear under your clothes and enjoy the pools, explore the ship everywhere ACCEPT the decks with rooms. They are closed until 1:30.

We love taking photos upon boarding because it is not very crowded so its the perect time for photos.

It will be 1:30 before you know it then you can check out your room.

Have fun!!

Kathy

Since you have your online froms done, 99% of check in is done. If you get to the port when it opens, and get into the terminal and 1 of the first to check in at 1030,you still need to see one of the cruise agents at the term to get your keys then get your photos taken to go with your kttw card,and your done. Theres a few of things you can do while your still in the term. Since your traveling with kids, the clubs will have reps in the term to issue pagers, braclets etc.Usually around 1100 amish. I dont remember the exact time off hand.Also, theres a little snack bar and gift shop that has limited Cruiseline gifts and ammenities.Theres a few good places to take pics, and theres characters that come out to pose with the scale model of the Magic, and of course guests in term.And of course theres more than a few hidden and semi hidden Mickeys.

Some of the things weve done in the past, once onboard,besides checking out the pools,is to have a nice lunch outside(weather permitting) at Beach Blanket Buffet,then go wander the ship to(in our case ) refamiliarize ourselves with the ship.While wandering,we take our kids to the kids clubs, and look around there with them, see whats new etc.

Something I just thought of is to make it a game and see who can find the most hidden characters,while your walking around.Mickey isnt the only one hidden thoughout the ship.Theres a site that has them listed, I just need to find it and Ill post it for you.

THANK YOU! I had no idea you couldnt get to your room right away, thats good to know. Honestly, Im happy to find a sunny beach chair and chill, weather permitting. Ive seen youtube videos that when you walk on the ship, they ask you your family name and then announce you in the little hallway area? God, my kids will love that, its like being famous or something!

THANK YOU! I had no idea you couldnt get to your room right away, thats good to know. Honestly, Im happy to find a sunny beach chair and chill, weather permitting. Ive seen youtube videos that when you walk on the ship, they ask you your family name and then announce you in the little hallway area? God, my kids will love that, its like being famous or something!

It's cute.

I just wanted to mention that we have always been at the port at about 9:00am-9:30am, it's already busy with people coming in and lining up.

At some point in the port Mickey and few other characters come out for you to have pictures taken. You can look at the model of the ship to start getting an idea were things are located.

Once you get on the ship you can eat or take the time to look around. or swim.

Have lunch, enjoy the pools, let the kids check out the kids clubs and before you know it, you're heading to the mandatory muster drill around 4pm. After the drill, head up to deck 9 midship for the sail away party.

Also keep in mind that luggage is delivered throughout the afternoon and early evening, so make sure you pack swimsuits and any other items you may want for the afternoon in your carry on.

I have a question (yeah, whats different!). Once you board the ship, but before it leaves, what do you do? Im going on the Wonder, a four night cruise. Im HOPING to get on the boat by 11am? Im flying in the night before so we are going to just get up and go over to the port on departure day. Should I use the pre sail time to check out the Oceaneers lab, walk around, get the lay of the ship? Are the pools open? I know check in starts at around 10am or so? We have filled out our forms on line, so we go to the port, wait around and we get on, or do we get assigned a group boarding time? The last cruise I went on was just a two night cruise to nowhere out of Boston on the NCL Gem, and I was kind of deer in the headlights and didnt really use the time before leaving to make dining reservations etc. By the time I figured out where everything was it was time to come home!

When it's just my wife and I we go the day before but stay at an airport hotel which we get on Hotwire or Priceline for about $60.

Then we just take the shuttle back to the airport in the morning and take the DCL bus.

If my son and his girlfriend come too we usually rent from Avis (join Avis preferred for free) and stay at the Radisson at the Port or Country Inn and Suites.

We all go to Avis and they give us a ride to the pier.

Bill

Archived