Cairo, Egypt from Alexandria - On your own (no tour company)

gt2192c

This thread contains a lot of info that I have been trying to find on CC. Thanks! One more ATM question. Do I understand that we do not need to worry about having Egyptian currency when we disembark, and can get it at the port or have our transportation stop at an ATM (assuming he wouldn't want US currency)? I am braced for the "duh's", but I over-plan everything we do and have been told so many times by my patient wife.

Been wanting to see Egypt since I was a teenager (now 49) and with all the kids out of the house and everything paid for we are finally seeing sights I have always wanted to see.

I had asked this same question earlier in the thread prior to our cruise last March. If you are using a tour company, most of your admission charges and food will be included (at least ours were). Our guide changed some dollars for me for some walking around money ($20 maybe?) and actually "gifted" me some Egyptian money for souvenirs. We used credit cards for our one dinner we had to pay for and our shopping. We paid the guide in dollars.

hth-

Jo Ann

• 2 weeks later...
This thread contains a lot of info that I have been trying to find on CC. Thanks! One more ATM question. Do I understand that we do not need to worry about having Egyptian currency when we disembark, and can get it at the port or have our transportation stop at an ATM (assuming he wouldn't want US currency)? I am braced for the "duh's", but I over-plan everything we do and have been told so many times by my patient wife.

Been wanting to see Egypt since I was a teenager (now 49) and with all the kids out of the house and everything paid for we are finally seeing sights I have always wanted to see.

Back from independent travel alexandria to Cairo overnight. Did not see any ATM's at the port or the train station but there is a money exchange booth set up at passport control and seem to give a fair rate and no additional charge. If you are going on your own change your money there or you will never catch the 8 am train as you need egyptian pounds. It is a race to make the 8am so you need to be off the ship first in line. As noted NEVER take a cab from drivers standing around the port (they want $25 per person but will negotiate to $10 per person, 20 times the going rate!) . Cross the bridge and road and go down the road and hail a cab. We paid 5 pounds ($1) for the ride for two people. Never ask how much, just show the 5 pounds (or $1) to the driver and give the destination.

The taxis at the port (the ones painted two shades of blue) are special and authorized entry into the port area. The normal city taxis are painted black and yellow (or black and orange - I can't remember) and can take you anywhere within the city of Alexandria but cannot enter the port. Obviously the blue ones charge much more but save you the hike from the port entrance to the dock.

Archived