Veranda question

blk1964

Ive just noticed thru some research that some Category 4 family deluxe staterooms have solid white wall verandahs, as opposed to those with railings and plexi glass. I dont have a cabin assignment yet, Im GTY. I do NOT want a solid white wall verandah, I think that should be a lower price than a regular one and its not. Its a partially obstructed view, and you dont get a price break for that. Whats the best way to handle that. Should I call? I dont want them stamping "cruise *itch" on my reservations, but I really do not want one, my kids are short, if they sit on the verandah their view is obstructed as well as the view from the room.:confused:

Unfortunately, that's what you might end up with, which is why I never book guarantees even though there is usually a savings in doing so. I want to pick my cabin and know what to expect. I agree with you, however, that the solid rail wall is problematic as my son loved looking at the water through the railing. With DCL, they state that ever balcony cabin may or may not have solid wall. It would be great if they'd recategorized these like they did the Cat 6 to Cat 7 that were partially obstructed.

When I booked, I didnt realize the GTY thing, its just what they sent me. I think I am going to call and try to get a cabin number assigned. When you go online and look at availability it doesnt show any price difference in the cabins with the wall or not, it actually doesnt mention them other than "some have a solid wall"

Thanks for the information.

Booking a GTY room guarantees you a room in that category - that's it. Could be forward, could be aft, could have a solid railing, could have an open one - if you want to be specific in your room assignment you need to not book a GTY. You can call and make requests, but by booking a GTY you accept that they will assign a room based on their availability and not on your personal preference. You can, depending on availability, upgrade or downgrade your room category to one where they are still assigning rooms at booking.

When I booked, there was no option to get a room assignment, its just what I got. I didnt know anything about GTY vs room assignment. I am finding out tho that lots of people book WAY WAY in advance. I only booked two months in advance, I think in the cruise world thats last minute. In Category 4 there are only six cabins with the solid wall verandah, so the odds are with me. I did call and ask for an assignment, they said there wasnt any cabins available to assign, which I completely dont get. The whole inventory control process is a mystery to me.

I really don't like the solid white wall on the balconies, either. Our adult son is in a wheelchair, and we always have a solid wall. The rooms are nice because there's a lot more room and the balconies are huge, but a person in a wheelchair cannot see anything! We only spend time in our stateroom to sleep, so it doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.

But I am so glad that the handicapped accessible rooms on the Disney Dream will have plexiglass !

So if I have a Cat 6 gty will I definately get an unobstructed view? I am concerned about this also.

The Magic and the Wonder both have Cat 6 balconies with the solid panel rather than the plexiglass (they are at the back of the ship on decks 5 and 6), so you are not guaranteed the clear view.

• 4 months later...

Archived