reasonable lower cost rooms in long beach?

gerry48

Not sure where you are from but,,

The area near the port is set up and designed for tourists. The hotels and prices reflect that.

I did save some money by staying away from the touristy area. Biggest mistake I made and I learned from it. Long Beach is NOT the nicest safest area to be in late at night away from the tourist area. We did not leave the hotel property at night. I was on very high alert just stepping outside to have a smoke. Woken up at night to gun shots and police sirens. The gas station/ mini mart next door had bars on the window and bullet proof glass at the cashiers counter. This was not a No Tell Motel. It was/is a respected brand name.

For peace of mind, safety, and enjoyment pay the extra money for a hotel near the port in the touristy area. Lot's to do, see, and enjoy in that area of Long Beach.

Not sure where you are from but,,

The area near the port is set up and designed for tourists. The hotels and prices reflect that.

I did save some money by staying away from the touristy area. Biggest mistake I made and I learned from it. Long Beach is NOT the nicest safest area to be in late at night away from the tourist area. We did not leave the hotel property at night. I was on very high alert just stepping outside to have a smoke. Woken up at night to gun shots and police sirens. The gas station/ mini mart next door had bars on the window and bullet proof glass at the cashiers counter. This was not a No Tell Motel. It was/is a respected brand name.

For peace of mind, safety, and enjoyment pay the extra money for a hotel near the port in the touristy area. Lot's to do, see, and enjoy in that area of Long Beach.

Curious what hotel was it you stayed at?? :eek:

We're staying at the Hilton which is near the Queen Mary. We got a "cruise" rate of $89.00. If you call for reservations, be sure to say that you want the cruise rate. Also, there's a free Hilton shuttle to the hotel from LAX and one fromthe ship back to LAX. We're sailing on the Splendor 1/24/2010.

Here's the telephone number: 562-983-3400

Where we have reservations for April 15-18 below. Just up the road from the Queen Mary

Residence Inn Long Beach Downtown 600 Queensway Drive,

Long Beach, California 90802 USA Phone: 1-562-495-0700 Fax: 1-562-495-4194

We're staying at the Hilton which is near the Queen Mary. We got a "cruise" rate of $89.00. If you call for reservations, be sure to say that you want the cruise rate. Also, there's a free Hilton shuttle to the hotel from LAX and one fromthe ship back to LAX. We're sailing on the Splendor 1/24/2010.

Wasn't this rate specific to Carnival only? I remember seeing the "code" a few months back but we couldn't use it since we are sailing NCL. If OP is sailing Carnival it works out well, but if they are on another line it probably won't benefit them.

I would confirm that they are still doing a shuttle to/from LAX. Most hotels outside of the LAX area do not have shuttle going there.

we actually are going carnival. will check out the hilton for sure.

thanks to all:) our only other worry now is if a 1:15 flight from lax is late enough from long beach.ship docks at 9am.

Regarding the flight.

Depending on how soon. After yesterdays situation, TSA may start ramping up security. Normally, I'd say you should be OK. You will be in a rush to get off the ship and get to your transportation. Don't take a Carnival shuttle. Those things don't leave until they are 100% full.

I would definitely check out the hotel threads here on the Western destinations board. The LA area is definitely now an area to go cheap as one poster said above. But some of our regulars have managed to put together a recommended list (like SteveBruin or BruinSteve, sorry my head is a bit of mush tonight).

Odds are you might not being able to find a hotel that shuttles to and from LAX and Long Beach. So if you find one on the recommended list, that's great. More likely you'll find a LB hotel that will shuttle you to the Port of LB (all other cruiselines, other than Carnival, use the Port of LA which is in San Pedro).

If you have extra time on your arrival day, I highly recommend the Aquarium of the Pacific, which is near the waterfront.

As for departure time, post-cruise, the cruiselines (and us locals) do feel that any flight after 1pm should be safe. Noon, you're pushing it. And 10am, you would have to pray to the gods up high that everything, but everything goes right (disembarkation starts on time, no traffic tie ups on the 405, short security lines).

BTW, we were on the Star Princess in 2003 during a Code Orange (we sailed the week after the Columbia disaster). The customs process was one of the smoothest we've ever gone through despite that. Not sure what time we got off the ship, but we were just going to jump in our car and drive home. On the other hand, when we were on the Island Princess (this was in San Pedro too), the disembarkation process started way late. We got off the ship at 11:10am, and there were still plenty of passengers onboard.

Archived