Sapphire - Dolphin Deck Balconies

Schrute Bucks

I'm sorry I don't know the size of the balconies, but they seem pretty standard. I stayed on the Dolphin deck my first Princess cruise and did not like the fully exposed balcony. On this class ship, the Emerald deck has mini-suites with fully covered balconies and now I book early to get these and mark my reservation "do not upgrade."

I know many folks don't mind the open balconies and it did not bother be as much as I thought it would initially. But, I do prefer the shade, protection from the rain, and extra privacy a covered balcony provides.

If there were only Dolphin deck staterooms available, it would not stop me from cruising. But, by planning ahead I can get exactly the stateroom I want. Have a wonderful cruise!

I'm sorry I don't know the size of the balconies, but they seem pretty standard. I stayed on the Dolphin deck my first Princess cruise and did not like the fully exposed balcony. On this class ship, the Emerald deck has mini-suites with fully covered balconies and now I book early to get these and mark my reservation "do not upgrade."

I know many folks don't mind the open balconies and it did not bother be as much as I thought it would initially. But, I do prefer the shade, protection from the rain, and extra privacy a covered balcony provides.

If there were only Dolphin deck staterooms available, it would not stop me from cruising. But, by planning ahead I can get exactly the stateroom I want. Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks very much for the quick and detailed response.:)

The balconies are a standard square shaped size, with four chairs and a table on them. I think the next deck up has deeper balconies that the minis do, but of course, the minis give you more room in the cabin. I'm in one right now on the Golden. I prefer a covered balcony for privacy from above, but all the minis, with the exception of the handful on Emerald deck, are uncovered.

It's the trade off... you get more interior space and a pullout sofa bed, which is great for a family. We have an 8 year old DD and these cabins are great for us. the balcony has never been a safety issue because it's almost impossible to climb up the glass side. A child could stand on one of the chairs and lean over, but could do that on ANY balcony if unsupervised. However, there are locks on the cabin balcony doors if your son is that adventurous.

I personally would prefer a covered balcony but don't want to give up a minisuite.

And there's the rub....

Archived