Baggage Fees?

sgmburt

Ok....I am trying to book our airfare for our cruise to Alaska in May and the more I read, the more confused I get. Does Continental charge for each bag you check and if so, is the charge per person as well? I am sorry but this is very confusing to someone who hasn't traveled in years. Thanks again!

sgmburt:

Unless you have a Continental Credit Card or are an "Elite" member of their OnePass program, then yes they do charge for each and every bag. If there are two of you and you check two bags, then each of you would pay the first bag fee, if you check 3 bags, one of you would have to pay the higher second bag fee in addition to the first bag, and more for more bags, and so on.

Beware of the weight! The limit is 50lbs per bag on the first bag, I think the second bag is different, but I'm not sure. My DW and I just returned from the Zuiderdam out of FLL in November, and round trip cost for our luggage was MORE than a ticket cost us.:mad:

We prefer to handle minimal bags, so we were overweight on our luggage. Next time we cruise from FLL - we're driving or taking the train - less hassle and we can take what we want.

Enjoy your trip!

On Delta, it was $20.00 at the Fort Lauderdale airport for the first bag, and $30.00 for the second bag. I didn't prepurchase the baggage fees on line, due to the fact that it would have cost $12.00 to sign-up for 30 minutes of internet use on the last day of our cruise, and it was going to cost $10.00 extra for the bags at the airport. However, after Delta to Atlanta, my next flight was a codeshare on Alaska Airlines. It turned out that my pre-booked seats - done in November, had been taken away on Alaska, due to a change in planes. When I got to Atlanta, and checked in, I ended up on standby. It seemed that my bags were checked through from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver, but I wasn't. The plane from Atlanta to Seattle was overbooked. Luckily some people gave up their seats, so I and other passengers made it home that night. Next time, I'm going to take the last day internet package and do my boarding passes on the ship, to save myself a whole lot of trouble.

Wow! didn't realize prices had gone up for "extra" baggage. I try to fly Southwest--no fees or keep the weight down. I bought a baggage scale to weigh my suitcase. Some empty suitcases weight quite a bit. Guess one should use the laundry on board and bring less clothes. It is hard though in winter or going to Alaska to put much in a suitcase. Everyone recommends the layered method.:)

On Delta' date=' it was $20.00 at the Fort Lauderdale airport for the first bag, and $30.00 for the second bag. I didn't prepurchase the baggage fees on line, due to the fact that it would have cost $12.00 to sign-up for 30 minutes of internet use on the last day of our cruise, and it was going to cost $10.00 extra for the bags at the airport. However, after Delta to Atlanta, my next flight was a codeshare on Alaska Airlines. It turned out that my pre-booked seats - done in November, had been taken away on Alaska, due to a change in planes. When I got to Atlanta, and checked in, I ended up on standby. It seemed that my bags were checked through from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver, but I wasn't. The plane from Atlanta to Seattle was overbooked. Luckily some people gave up their seats, so I and other passengers made it home that night. Next time, I'm going to take the last day internet package and do my boarding passes on the ship, to save myself a whole lot of trouble.[/quote']

Delta seems to be a nightmare.Booked our cruise from FLL to SEA for next June Delta cancelled our flights to SLC for our connections both ways.Had to find this out for myself(never notified)Now we are routed through ATL on a 5:45 am flight into Sea by 10:50 am.The cost for this flight is triple what we paid when we originally booked.It is a good thing we don't have to pay the difference.We definetly will be using the laundry on Amsterdam for our two week cruise. Taking 3 bags.2 duffles and a garment bag for coats and formal wear.

Archived