Red Sea disappointment - Island escape instead?

After our first cruise in October round the med on destiny we decided when we could afford the next one and where we wanted to go. We decided on Feb half term 2011 - plenty time to save up - and were told by the agent that Red Sea Magic is perfect that time of year - and its the one I really wanted to do next so was delighted and was waiting patiently for 17th Dec so I could go and book our trip. Imagine my disappointment when I discover Feb half term is the ONLY week in Feb 2011 that Red Sea magic is not available as they are swapping ships - Celebration is going back to Palma and Spirit is on her way down from the Eastern med/Greek cruises.

So - the only cruise available that week (other than Caribbean which is not what we want or can afford as a family) is First Choices Island Escape Colourful Coasts. We have booked and are looking forward to it and will save Red Sea till next time!!

The weather should be good and Morocco and Maderia are new to us as are a couple of the Canary islands so lots of new things to see and do. We have a 5/6 inside cabin as we are a family, so a bit higher than on Destiny, and we have the all inclusive package this time too. They have their version of kidzone called Palmy's which goes up to 11 (its 12 on Thomsons ships) so our son is happy (he loved Kidzone on Destiny).

I know its the same parent company and we have been told its the same entertainment, service and systems as Thomsons ships - yes the dining is different but we don't do formal dining so thats not an issue at all - but how does it really compare? - anyone done an Island Escape one before? any advice gratefully received for a family of 3 travelling with an 11 yr old boy!

Hi Clare,

We are just back from the Colourful Coasts cruise on the 18th. DW and I and our 2 sons in their 20's.

We had a fantastic time. The entertainment crew worked really hard to give us a great time. And the rest of the crew too. Cabins were old but spotlessly clean and beds comfortable. And the public areas were fine.

I know the ones on the ship on the Christmas cruise have had a bad time with the bad weather and some problems with toilets.

I will do a proper review as soon as Xmas is over.

You will find more posts on her over on the Island Cruises board.

Berwyn

Archived