Gem AE and AC questions

RocklandCruiser

My husband and I have been on the GEM twice and have stayed in an AF Mini Suite. We are booked again in February and are thinking of upgrading to a suite to have a different experience. I understand and appreciate all the "perks" that come with a suite. I am asking about the location of some of the suites.

Do you hear noise in the AE penthouse cabins on deck 8 above Bliss? I have read varying opinions on CC about this topic.

Please tell me the pros/cons of the location of the AC suites. Normally the ship's motion does not bother me, but when I am in the Stardust Theater, I definately "feel" more movement than in the rest of the ship. Does it feel the same in the AC?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

I stayed on the Pearl in 8630 and did not hear anything from Bliss. We loved the location.

As far as being forward I would imagine the motion that you get in the Stardust would be the same in the AC. For that reason I tend not to go to the Stardust to see shows because of the motion, but the AFT does not bother me at all.

Good luck with your decision.

My husband and I have been on the GEM twice and have stayed in an AF Mini Suite. We are booked again in February and are thinking of upgrading to a suite to have a different experience. I understand and appreciate all the "perks" that come with a suite. I am asking about the location of some of the suites.

Do you hear noise in the AE penthouse cabins on deck 8 above Bliss? I have read varying opinions on CC about this topic.

Please tell me the pros/cons of the location of the AC suites. Normally the ship's motion does not bother me, but when I am in the Stardust Theater, I definately "feel" more movement than in the rest of the ship. Does it feel the same in the AC?

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

You will definitely feel more movement in the front of the ship. We've cruised in the AD on deck 10 of the GEM and found it a perfect location, for us. Not only do you feel less movement, but you get the great sound of the wake and very little wind when having the balcony doors open. I personally would book and aft suite over the AC........but that's just my opinion. The AD and the AC are exactly the same cabins, with the same imenities.....the only difference is location and the view/size of the balcony.

We love the aft AEs on the Gem. We never heard anything from Bliss when we were on deck 8. Most of the speakers from Bliss are forward of the suite cabins - under a couple of the insides. Like Got Tequila said, there is very little wind when the balcony door is open and when sitting out there.

We just stayed in the AC suite, on the Star, 13 day cruise through the Panama Canal, cabin 10502. For the Canal, its the best spot. You see everything, you are right below the bridge. The suite perks are wonderful, we also upgraded from a 'B' balcony to AF, to our AC. The cost difference for the AC cabin was about 1/2 the normal price at the time, and since we were going to be on the ship for 13 days, we wanted to treat ourselves.

But with the cabin in front, it is in the sun all the time, at nite you can not leave the door open to hear the sea, but you hear the wind blowing thru the door jamb. At times we closed the exterior water tight door because it was so loud with the wind coming thru. Its a great cabin, but would also depend where you are cruising. If you are seeing the glaciers in Alaska, it would be great for that also.

We are looking to try the Aft cabins next. We have friends that cruise every year, who only use the aft cabins. Theres something for everyone, thats the beauty of it all.

But try the suites, I see the cost difference to upgrade to that is not too expensive for your upcoming cruise.

Good luck and have fun.:)

I love the AC suites...however...given the itinerary of the Gem out of NYC I would select a stern suite. In my opinion, the itinerary is my criteria. If getting there and returning are cold and long distances, then an AE would be my choice. If warm climate and short distance to ports are involved, then an AC would be my choice. Best wishes on what you decide!

Just when I thought my bucket list was empty...I see a great comment above on the Panama Canal crossing in a forward suite...

coka

How large are the AE aft balconies? What furniture is on them? Thanks!

We were in 8132 in October 2007 (the inaugural from Dover to Barcelona) so the furniture that we had then may not be the same now. Here are my pictures, including a couple of the balcony: http://travel.webshots.com/album/561382394Vrrhhh

The balcony is not big, but the view is outstanding. We also were not aware of any noise from the bowling alley or from Bliss. We loved the cabin so much that we have booked an AE on the 8th deck of the Pearl. Can't wait!

I was in cabin 10000 on the 11/15 Gem sailing and we had zero noise and absolutely no motion. In fact, I was in the room making coffee (ahhh - memories) wondering why it was taking so long to leave Malta because I wanted to go out for the sail away. When I went out to check, Malta was way in the distance. It was like that every day - so smooth it was hard to imagine we were on a ship compared to other ships (not Ncl) that I've been on in equally good weather. We were on the balcony all the time - lunch, wine, star watching at night. It was windy, but not bad at all. However, I would listen to the experts (Coka!) and go with the AFT for the NY sailing because chances are the wind would be crazy on the front of the ship for that cruise and I wouldn't want to risk it. Have fun!!! Jen

Silver girl- enjoed your pictrues, BUT was I missing seeing lounge chairs on the balcony, we have sailed twice in an AE on the Star Aft location and have had lounge chairs on the balcony, they were palced length wise due to narrow balcony but were there. Were there only regular chairs on your AE balcony????

Archived