Cruising with 2 young adults in electric wheelchairs

banditz

Well. Leaving the 29th at midnight and driving to Orlando first for a few days the the port in Miami on the 3rd.

Should or can I lock my luggage? What kind of lock?

Locking luggage is recommended. Any kind of lock [not just TSA] may be used. If x-ray of checked luggage detects suspected forbidden items [most common: liquor and travel irons] you would be called to the "naughty room" to open your bag and discuss the contents. Forbidden items detected are held and returned to you when you get off the ship [i am in no way implying that you would have such items, just trying to help you be fully informed].

Have a super trip

Thom

Rich, after an accident last year I was pretty much confined to a wheelchair (folding) during an Eastern caribbean cruise on Mariner. RCI will do everything possible to make your cruise a memorable one, from the check-in process to the crew onboard the ship. Passengers , generally,with a few exceptions, will try to help you as well....but you may have to occasionally remind them ....and don't be bashful about saying "excuse me please...". Having sailed on the Freedom in October 09 (sister ship to Liberty) with a Western itinerary , there are handicap accessible locations in all the major public areas including the main theater and studio B (ice show) and the crew will help direct you there. As several of the posters have noted, full sized and motorized wheelchairs won't fit through the doors of the regular cabins nor will they be able to get through the bathroom doors. The handicap accessible cabins are larger and have suitable size doors for wheelchairs( I think the standard cabin doors are only 24-26 in.). A suggestion for day 1 after you board the ship, go to deck 5 Cafe Promenade for lunch, instead of fighting the crowds in the WINDJAMMER buffet. Also, room service breakfast is very easy and you can pre-order it the night before.

Ports- Grand Cayman is going to be tough to do, being a tender port.

Labadee, Ocho Rios, and Cozumel are doable with an electric wheelchair, but public transportation will be very difficult without folding wheelchairs. You will be limited to the area right around the port. There is shopping and a small beach near the port in Ocho Rios , but in Cozumel, the pier is about 2 miles from downtown (there is a shopping area in the pier complex). If you can, bring folding wheelchairs for the ports, since it is extremely difficult to find transportation with wheelchair lifts without prior arrangements . I would recommend a RCI cruise excursion in Ocho Rios, while in Cozumel you won't have any problem finding public transportation right outside the cruise pier complex. Try to get one of the official tour drivers with a van.

Make a Wish is a wonderful organization that RCI fully supports....with onboard fundraisers and direct contributions. I hope you and the boys have a fun and memorable trip.

I work with and am around kids like yours everyday, and have been for over 25 years. (Pediatrics) When I read your original title, I could not resist:

"Electric Chairs" are for criminals. Your Boys use POWER Chairs.

A suggestion for day 1 after you board the ship, go to deck 5 Cafe Promenade for lunch, instead of fighting the crowds in the WINDJAMMER buffet. Also, room service breakfast is very easy and you can pre-order it the night before.

That is a lot of helpful information akupupul, and I just wanted to add that meals in the Main Dining Room for breakfast and lunch will be easy and pleasant (ordering off the menu and being waited on). Check your daily Compass for the Dining Schedule for hours of operation. :)

... Also, room service breakfast is very easy and you can pre-order it the night before...
Note that unless your room service breakfast is delivered by your regular room steward [probably not] this server has not been covered by the standard suggested tips. This is something that I was unaware of until I had cruised several times. While not mandated, most people would tip several dollars [maybe $5 if there are several breakfasts involved].

Thom

I work with and am around kids like yours everyday, and have been for over 25 years. (Pediatrics) When I read your original title, I could not resist:

"Electric Chairs" are for criminals. Your Boys use POWER Chairs.

I live and work around the same kind of kid for 24 yrs, my daughter, and I knew what she ment. Post was uncalled for...:(

Thanks for your reply xxoocruiser. We are going with an open mind knowing we will have some hurdles to jump. We will just have to make the best of it.

We just got our finialized e docs from Make a Wish the 23rd of December leaving me little time for planning. If I had sooner I would have.

We told Make a Wish we had 2 electic whhelchairs. Reservations show one handicap room and one standard room 4 cabins down, why would they do that.Door not being wide enough concerns me now. How wide are the doors and how tall is the step in?

Live and learn, I guess.

All in all I know they will be entertained one way or another.

Thanks again

Rich

I have seen scooters and wheel chairs in the hall ways on every cruise iI have been on so don't worry about having room to put them

I have seen scooters and wheel chairs in the hall ways on every cruise iI have been on so don't worry about having room to put them

If you read through all the OP postings, leaving the wheelchairs in the hallway is not an option. Both young men are basically confined to the chairs. One can walk a limited number of steps . So getting the chairs through the doorway is a must.

Also note that though wheelchairs and scooters are seen left in the the Hallways, it's against Coast Guard and the Cruise Line safety regulations that these items not allowed to be stored outside the cabin. It greatly impairs the safety of all passengers , not just the disabled.

I live and work around the same kind of kid for 24 yrs, my daughter, and I knew what she ment. Post was uncalled for...:(

I think B-52 meant the post as a kind of compliment to the young men who are "powerful" enough to accomplish so much with limited mobility.

Archived