S.S. United States

Brom23

Nothing recent that I've seen. I believe NCL has purchased her, but it is unlikely that they (or anyone else) will be able to make a profit from her as a passenger ship.

As a former passenger, I'd love to see her come back into service, but I believe the only experience likely to be available to most of us is the SS United States Restaurant on the Infinity.

Unfortunately nothing new on the "Big U." I took a look at her again yesterday; decaying in south Philadelphia. Her paint is peeling but despite her derilect shape, she remains a striking sight. NCL purchased the ship a few years ago and had plans to return her to service (Hawaii?). But, given the cruise line's decision to pull Norway from service, NCL may have lost its taste for classic liners. Here's a link to the Save the United States Foundation which remains very active during this liner's uncertain times.

http://www.ssunitedstates.org/

• 3 weeks later...

What a crying shame, same goes for the Norway, they may not be to everybody taste, but the history these proud vessels carry is worth more than cash or words. Shame they can't be done up as floating hotels, much like the Queen Mary, in long beach. Again not to everybodies taste, but a great way to experience these legends.

My first cruise came on the United States in June of 1962. I was six months old. My father was in the army stationed in germany and his tour was up. His parents (well his mother, my dear grandmother) were terrified of air travel, transatlantic travel still being a novelty though hardly new by then, sprung for the cruise fare.

La Havre to New York; alas mom was got sick and was quarentined for most of the crossing. I hardly noticed as I was "quarentined" to a crib anyway.

The SS United States holds a special place in my heart.

• 1 month later...

I'm too young to have ever sailed on the United States but I remember my father taking me to see her in port in Norfolk. Some how I ended up with a room key on a big silver key fob as well as a framed menu from the ship.

I think the key is still with my GI Joe stuff in my parents attic.

The SS Save the United States Foundation is planning a busy spring as it continues to promote awareness of this NCL-owned ship amid an uncertain future. Official events include the 8th annual Foundation meeting aboard the Battleship New Jersey, April 30th at the Camden, New Jersey waterfront and a scheduled May 22nd riverboat tour of the "Big U" and dinner at Philadelphia's Union league. The May 22nd event is open to Foundation members only.

In other SS United States news, filmmaker Tim Phillips is interviewing former crew, passengers for a documenary on the ship.

http://www.ssunitedstates.org

http://battleshipnewjersey.org

http://unionleague.org

If it's not feasible to sail the United States again, I'd like to see her sunk and turned into an artifical reef.

Many tears would be shed on that day, if it happened. Most likely, the Big U would be sliced up and sold for scrap. :(

• 3 weeks later...

As I have lived in Florida for the past 15 years, I have only driven over the Walt Whitman Bridge once since then. I believe it was the summer of 2002

that I saw the SS United States looking so abandoned in the Delaware River.

I am a fan of this ship, although that was the only time I ever saw her. I would love to have the opportunity to sail on her, however, I strongly doubt that she could be refurbished to her former self. If NCL wanted to do such, these possibilities, I believe, vanished when the SS Norway had that tragedy in May of 2003 (we were scheduled to sail on her the next Sunday). Any reincarnation would not be a clone of the original. The only way a ship like that could make money would be to place an entire new and modern "superstructure" on her hull to make her a "cruise" ship. That would not be the SS United States then. Unless NCL wants to go into the floating hotel business, I doubt we will see this great ship resurrected again. Money talks.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen her last year after a get-together with the US foundation. I agree with Philly Steve.. a sad sight.

But she still has a certain aura of dignity. The photo I took had the sun shining on the 1st stack, and it seemed to 'glow'.

We just kept looking, and with some imagination, we could see the pax waiting to embark... tugs readying up to pull her away...

A nice dream!

:)

• 2 months later...

I was visiting my family in NJ for several weeks. My wife was off to see her sister outside of Atlantic City, so I took the AC Expressway over to Philadelphia to see the SS United States. I took about 20 digital pictures of her. I have to download about 200+ pictures from our vacation (including a cruise to Bermuda from Norfolk, VA on June 4th). When I do I'll post some pictures of the "Big U." It was extremely sad seeing her in this state of disrepair. I much rather remember her from old the books that feature her.

Rich M

NCL CEO Colin Veitch mentioned the SSUS during his speech at the christening of the Pride of America. He stated that they are still seriously looking at this ship for possible inter-US cruising and were having studies done to determine what they can do with the ship. As a matter of fact, way back when they bought it there was mention that it would be 2007 before anything was set.

~Intrepid

• 3 weeks later...

she was in really sad shape. My husband, grandson and I were on Columbus Boulevard in Philly and drove right past her. At first I was really excited because I had only glimpsed her from I95. My grandson is almost 5 and he was very excited to be so close to the ship. However, up close she looks really sad.

From the highway, you can see how faded her paint is. From the distance she still looks so grand and regal. Up close, however, the damage is more than just faded and peeling paint. There is massive rust damage in the hull. I don't see anyway that she could be refurbished and made seaworthy again. As far as I could see she is just an empty rusting shell of a ship.

Very sad :(

Linda

Although I'm not a subscriber to Cruise News, a web site has a limited quote of what he has to say. On "ssunitedstatesconservancy.org" states Mr. Veitch as saying that "the feasibility study continues on the SS United States." He also has noted that the ship appears to structurally sound and would only be changed on the inside. Perhaps the most significant problem being if the ship can be updated to meet current maritime standards in terms of rules and regulations for safety.

Rich M

Archived