First Time Solo

Gottacruise3

Enjoy! I know you will! My first solo was a 9-day over Thanksgiving & it was wonderful. I LOVED it & am going on another solo next month (booked it after that last cruise).

Hi BonnieVA,

Need your support and advice!:) I've been always cruising and/or traveling with my daughter (my husband doesn't like to travel and he doesn't have any problem if I cruise/travel with my daughter). But next year I will be cruising solo (my daughter's school schedule won't let her go anywhere for about 2-3 years). I am a little bit scared and paranoid to be alone. I noticed that even traveling with my daughter some couples were a little bit "territorial" and overprotective. When at home I enjoy being by myself and never bored but I am afraid I can be isolated because of my "solo" status on a ship.

Hi BonnieVA,

Need your support and advice!:) I've been always cruising and/or traveling with my daughter (my husband doesn't like to travel and he doesn't have any problem if I cruise/travel with my daughter). But next year I will be cruising solo (my daughter's school schedule won't let her go anywhere for about 2-3 years). I am a little bit scared and paranoid to be alone. I noticed that even traveling with my daughter some couples were a little bit "territorial" and overprotective. When at home I enjoy being by myself and never bored but I am afraid I can be isolated because of my "solo" status on a ship.

You sound a lot like me ... I love time alone & am rarely bored. I am actually introverted so I wasn't sure how this solo cruise would go for me. I wasn't nervous at all, though, before my cruise. I knew I'd enjoy my peace & quiet away from my family.

As soon as you book your solo make sure you search to see if anyone else sailing with you has started a roll call thread here on CC. If not, then start one yourself. You will "know" a bunch of people before you step foot on the ship. Sometimes the roll calls are active & sometimes not. If you're lucky to have an active one then chances are good that you will meet up with these other CCers early on in the cruise & you will run into them throughout your cruise, giving you a chance to talk w/ others you kind of already know.

I found that people were very interested to find I was a solo. It was a good conversation starter. I never got funny looks or negative comments. I became a serious extrovert on that solo! I found a part of me that was hidden for many years. It was great! What I found is that, generally, people on cruises are very happy (when on the cruise!). Everyone talks to one another & I never felt alone. I always felt there was someone nearby that I could just chat with ... if I wanted ;). When I was at the lunch buffet it was easy for me to find a seat even if no tables were available ... I just went to the large tables & asked if I could sit & I was always welcomed & a nice conversation always came from it.

My biggest fear was winding up at my dinner table & having no one else show up. I spoke to the maitre d the first day & he reassigned me to a table he thought would be good for a solo ... & it worked out great!

I never felt fearful either. I did choose a cruise that would NOT take me to exotic ports, though. But - on the ship - I was never fearful because I was alone.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that couples were overprotective. Do you mean they didn't want you hanging around with them? I guess that could be awkward if they want some alone time or if the woman is insecure. I actually never got too close to anyone. I'd have brief conversations & then we'd be on our separate ways. It's funny how you run into the same people over & over again on a cruise, both on the ship & in ports. That happened to me but the people were all so nice & we always had something to talk about. But then we'd part & run into one another later.

I think cruising is the best way to vacation solo. DEfinitely give it a try. Problem is, I'm not sure I want to cruise w/ my family now :o.

You sound a lot like me ... I love time alone & am rarely bored. I am actually introverted so I wasn't sure how this solo cruise would go for me. I wasn't nervous at all, though, before my cruise. I knew I'd enjoy my peace & quiet away from my family.

I think cruising is the best way to vacation solo. DEfinitely give it a try. Problem is, I'm not sure I want to cruise w/ my family now :o.

BonnieVA,

Thank you very much for a very detailed answer! :) I really appreciate it! I know, it's always scary and uncomfortable to do something for the first time!;) My husband has been traveling with me a few times. But I remember when years ago I decided to go just with my daughter and I was shaking! I thought horrible things would happen to me! But it was the best vacation (actually it was a Mediterranean cruise)!!! So, I guess with me going solo shouldn't be a problem. :)

Don't go to dinner and be the first to sit at your table! I did and waited uncomfortably for 10 minutes before anyone showed. Awkward.

Most everyone will start up a conversation. Join in the trivia games and you may end up on a team which sticks together for the week. That was a fun group.

Don't go to dinner and be the first to sit at your table! I did and waited uncomfortably for 10 minutes before anyone showed. Awkward.

Yea, that happened to me the 2nd night. So I made sure I got there fashionably late each night afterward!

• 3 months later...

this sept will be my 4th solo cruise and i love it i have more fun by myself

i dont have to worry about my things being "borrowed" anymore i got tired of that fast.

so now i go by myself all 4 have been with carnival

its takes me 75 min to get to baltimore so i cant beat that.

it cost more but it is worth it trust me

LEE

this sept will be my 4th solo cruise and i love it i have more fun by myself

i dont have to worry about my things being "borrowed" anymore i got tired of that fast.

so now i go by myself all 4 have been with carnival

its takes me 75 min to get to baltimore so i cant beat that.

it cost more but it is worth it trust me

LEE

I agree totally except I've never been no Carnival. That will change in November. By the way, I'm from Lititz!!!:)

Enjoy! I know you will! My first solo was a 9-day over Thanksgiving & it was wonderful. I LOVED it & am going on another solo next month (booked it after that last cruise).

BonnieinVA, thanks for your great reply to this thread! I am going on my first solo in June and can also be quite the introvert so I was pleased to read your post. However, a am divorced with a teenage son so I am kinda used to doing stuff alone but this is different -- much BIGGER scale.

Thanks again! :)

-libertyloverinRichmondVA

• 1 month later...

So glad to have joined CC! So much information and great tips. I'm not cruising until Oct. 2011, so there is plenty of time to read up on the posts and threads. I'm so glad to know that other solo cruisers feel the same as I do, in regards to doing what you want to do and don't have to be concerned with someone else either not wanting to do what you want, or just isn't having a good time. You are responsible for your own happiness. I think it's great that there are so many people who cruise solo. I prefer going places alone, anyway. I don't have someone dragging me to do things that I really don't want to do. I'm paying a nice little penny for this cruise and dang it, I'm doing it my way:D

So glad to have joined CC! So much information and great tips. I'm not cruising until Oct. 2011, so there is plenty of time to read up on the posts and threads. I'm so glad to know that other solo cruisers feel the same as I do, in regards to doing what you want to do and don't have to be concerned with someone else either not wanting to do what you want, or just isn't having a good time. You are responsible for your own happiness. I think it's great that there are so many people who cruise solo. I prefer going places alone, anyway. I don't have someone dragging me to do things that I really don't want to do. I'm paying a nice little penny for this cruise and dang it, I'm doing it my way:D

You picked the best cruise ship to solo on! Love that Spirit!! Love Freestyle dining!

Archived