Roll Call: Shadow, Seward to Vancouver 6/10/2010

pamfj

I will be on the cruise.

We are doing gold star dome train from anchorage to seward. Hopefully Sea life center in Seward.

Juneau-we are planning to do some sort of dog camp excursion.

Sitka-ATVs or Wildlife adventure

Ketchican-Private fishing charter

Skagway-Maybe the train ride.

Glad to hear from others on the cruise. We are really getting excited--it is our first cruise and our first trip to AK. We are from Athens, GA.

We are planning some of the same things. We will also be on the train from Anchorage to Seward that morning (we are starting in Fairbanks and doing Denali beforehand). I have the aquarium on my list for that day in Seward.

We might actually do the dogsled glacier tour out of Anchorage before the cruise, leaving time to explore Juneau or maybe do the glacier canoe trip.

I had looked into doing Glacier Bay out of Juneau, but I am afraid it takes too long for the time we have in port.

We are also planning fishing in Ketchikan. In Sitka we will spend a good bit of time in the town, I think.

In Skagway we are thinking of either renting a car and driving up to Emerald Lake or taking the ferry over to Haines--I was very sorry our ship did not stop there.

• 1 month later...

We are from NY and this is our first Silverseas cruise. Actually only our second cruise (Royal Carribean way too large for us). Both of you are way ahead of me in your planning. I'm just looking at excursions. Dyea Dave in Sagaway received some great reviews, was thinking of trying that.Do you have any suggestions? Defnitely want to do dog mushing. Heard that there is a dog mushing exhibition near the visitor's center in Denali, but don't know how good it is. We are starting in Fairbanks - to Denali - to Talkeenta - to Seward. We are by-passing Anchorage this trip. Is anyone extending the trip in Vancouver?

The fast ferry is a 45 minute ride according the the guidebooks. The ship has an excursion that includes the ferry and the river float and the bald eagle preserve, and a drive, so it is definitely doable in the time we are there.

I bid and did better than that and as I mentioned, got the Westin. I generally bid only on 4 star properties with the idea that I would not be unhappy with any of them if I got a bargain price. I research rates in several before I begin so I know about what to bid--generally a little over 50%--and have not ever been disappointed with the result.

Hello, Pamfj - since you are staying a few nights in Vancouver - be prepared to love it - it's a fabulous city! We often run up for a short break, and here are a couple of ideas for you....Le Crocodile for amazing continental cuisine, Vij's for Indian fusion food (get there early or late - there are no reservations and the lines are LONG!). Taking the Skyride to the top of Grouse Mountain, or going to Granville Island Public Market & just browsing through the vendor stalls. Also fun is the Capilano Suspension Bridge. If you love a clubby, elegant bar - you can't beat the one at the Wedgewood Hotel. There are a million things to do! Above all, enjoy your stay!

Thanks for the ideas, WinWin. The Indian restaurant sounds great. We also want to do the Chinese night market and will put the other marked you mentioned on the list as well. I know Vancouver will be a great end to a great trip.

Sarmar, Sitka is the one place I had not thought about booking excursions--there seems to be quite a bit to do while we are in town. There annual music festival is that week but unfortunately, Monday, when we are in port, is the one day when they do not have performances scheduled. Let me look at the tour you suggest and I will get back to you.

As for the suitcase issue, we may be stuck with shipping ahead since we can lug a 50-60 pound suitcase on the train and through Denali -- our carry-ons will be all we can handle. The price is steep, but probably worth it to cut down on hassles.

We should be able to see/book ship excursions at midnight tonight. I wanted to take a look at these to be sure I have the timing right before I lock down the things I want to book on my own. Only 120 days!!! It is time to start counting down.

Hello, Pamfj - since you are staying a few nights in Vancouver - be prepared to love it - it's a fabulous city! We often run up for a short break, and here are a couple of ideas for you....Le Crocodile for amazing continental cuisine, Vij's for Indian fusion food (get there early or late - there are no reservations and the lines are LONG!). Taking the Skyride to the top of Grouse Mountain, or going to Granville Island Public Market & just browsing through the vendor stalls. Also fun is the Capilano Suspension Bridge. If you love a clubby, elegant bar - you can't beat the one at the Wedgewood Hotel. There are a million things to do! Above all, enjoy your stay!

ditto on the Wedgewood; a relais&chateau place ;not that more to go first class;also great location;oh and the bellhop is Bruce Willis look alike !

Am seriously considering the one way to Seward service. The trick will be not over packing so that I can check the bag on the way home:

Info on Silver Shore Baggage Valet service:

Round-trip and one-way services.

luggage must be ready for pick up 5 business days prior to departure prices are based on weight and number of pieces being shipped.

For domestic service only, there is a flat fee regardless of weight

Automatically insured up to $2,000.00 USD.

Home to Seward - one way (per piece)

$250.00 - all weights

Vancouver to Home - one way (per piece)

1/30 Ibs $ 300.00

31/50 Ibs $ 350.00

51/60 Ibs $ 375.00

61/70 Ibs $ 400.00

Round Trip (per piece)

1/30 Ibs $ 550.00

31/50 Ibs $ 600.00

51/60 Ibs $ 625.00

61/70 Ibs $ 650.00

Frank Sansone

Director, Guest Relations

Silversea Cruises

Telephone (954) 468-3015

Fax (954) 762-3470

franks@silverseacruises.com

We might actually do the dogsled glacier tour out of Anchorage before the cruise, leaving time to explore Juneau or maybe do the glacier canoe trip.

I had looked into doing Glacier Bay out of Juneau, but I am afraid it takes too long for the time we have in port.

How does one do Glacier Bay from Juneau? We are on the Sept. 3 Vancouver-Vancouver. I've been reviewing the excursions and did not see something like that ...did I miss it? We are there 7 a.m. - 10 p.m.

Thanks,

Melissa

This is what I think we are going to do:

Skagway - Eagle Preserve or Dyea Dave Tours

Juneau - Dog Camp/Sledding

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords with Sea Wind Aviation

Sitka - Wildlife Adventure or Hatchery with Sitka Sound Tours

Also, we did not use Silversea for the land tour.

Originally we were going to start in Fairbanks and wind our way through Denali to Anchorage/Seward. I was home today due to snow, snow and more snow. In fact I think it's still snowing. So as of today, we are starting in Anchorage on 6/4 (overnight), onto Denali for two nights (6/5-6/6), Denali to Talkeeneta or Alyeska (overnight 6/7) & on 6/8 to Seward for two nights - board the cruise on 6/10. I want to try to do/see a few things in Seward before the cruise to free up our time (excursions) to do/see other sites that we would otherwise have to miss. I have more on our itinerary than we have time for. What about you? Also, have you been in contact with any other passengers aboard our cruise?

We will be in Denali 6/6 and 6/7 getting to Anchorage on the 8th. I am working to see if we can leave for Seward that night to have two nights there (doable since there will be almost 19 hours of daylight at that point). If that does not work, we will arrive in Seward mid day on the 9th by train. Like you, we want to do a few things there before we board.

I talked to Hertz today about renting a car and decided we definitely were not doing that! Over $400 for one day!

We have cold and rain in GA. Where are you in NY? Looking at your other posts, I see you guys are also baby boomers--like you, I was looking for a small ship with few if any kids. Looking forward to meeting you.

Maverick600 is the only other person who has surfaced on these boards so far for our sailing.

If you find a way to get from Anchorage to Seward on the 8th, please let me know. I couldn't find one, somewhere in my memory, I think we missed the train from Anchorage to Seward or something like that. I'll check my notes. That's why I stuck Talkeeneta in there. I think we may be able to get from Talkeeneta to Seward - not exactly sure. 400/day - they see the tourists coming. I'm sure you tried other auto rentals sites as well so that's probably the best price. I was thinking about renting a car for one of our site seeing at one of our cruise stops, but now I'll stop thinking about it. Yep baby boomers...for sure. How far from Atlanta are you? (everyone probably asks that but I love Atlanta). We are approximately 30 minutes outside the city and you're lucky you got rain everybody else got snow. DC and Maryland got socked, New Jersey and PA will be digging out forever. Even Virginia got snow this year. Lucky for us our neighbor has a tractor. Looking forward to meeting you, too. This should be a lot of fun....

If we were leaving Anchorage on the same day, I would suggest going in half on a car rental or a car and driver from one of the shuttle services (believe it or not, I found one or two that are slightly cheaper than the rental car!) The other thing I am working on is looking for Hertz coupons.

Where are you staying in Seward?

My sister is in PA--they had 23 inches with the first storm and then another 17 on top of that! We are to get an inch in Atlanta tomorrow. Athens is an hour and a half away. I commute in every day. My husband is a New Yorker--grew up in Queens and lived in Port Washington before moving to GA in 1988.

Archived