Victoria-Daytime or Evening

buckirj1

I'm considering an Alaska cruise, but insist it include a port stop to Victoria, which will probably be the highlight of the cruise for a confirmed city girl like me.

Only RCCL has a daytime call to Victoria. Most cruises have a very short evening stop. I'm looking to get opinions if there will be enough time and daylight left at 6 or 7PM to do things in port. I'm sure sailaway is breathtaking with the Parliament buildings lit up, but don't know if that would outweigh the benefits of a longer daytime call. I guess I should mention I'm looking to book in May so the weather will be on the colder side rather than warm. Opinions are most welcome.

I'm considering an Alaska cruise, but insist it include a port stop to Victoria, which will probably be the highlight of the cruise for a confirmed city girl like me.

Only RCCL has a daytime call to Victoria. Most cruises have a very short evening stop. I'm looking to get opinions if there will be enough time and daylight left at 6 or 7PM to do things in port. I'm sure sailaway is breathtaking with the Parliament buildings lit up, but don't know if that would outweigh the benefits of a longer daytime call. I guess I should mention I'm looking to book in May so the weather will be on the colder side rather than warm. Opinions are most welcome.

Why don't you just fly to Victoria in advance and spend a day there before your cruise? Most of the time and open Jaw (into YVR/Vancouver out of YYJ/Victoria) isn't much more than in and out of YVR.

I would be inclined to try for a daytime visit to Victoria, particularly if it is a first visit. In the photo link link Ogden Point where the cruise ships tie up is about across the harbour from the tank farm you see in top left corner of the pix and he legislature buildings are in the bottom left corner of the pic, to left of the grass you see....so seeing them illuminated from the ship at night is not an option. Victoria is not a lively city at night and frankly shows better in the day. You will find lots of spring flowers in full bloom in May and a visit to Butchart Gardens will be something you will remember forever.link Victoria tends to have a farily moderate climate all year round so while you may find it cool and perhaps even a bit damp in May, you won't find it cold.

Thanks to both of you. I like the idea of a separate day trip to Victoria from Vancouver, but can't add the extra travel days. A Seattle RT is a must have for me. I'll likely decide on RCCL if I can get the time off in May. Might have to wait another year or so.

I appreciate your advice.

Archived