Grand Cayman--Horse back riding

alishac

I am sailing on the Equinox in March, and I'm interested in doing the horse back riding in Grand Cayman. The ship offers an excursion, but I'm also looking at a stable called Pampered Ponies that does the rides independently. Has anyone done the horse back riding in Grand Cayman, either through Celebrity or a private company? We want to do one where you can ride the horses in the water, and also do some cantering.

• 2 months later...

I hope this isnt too late for you, but I just got back from Grand Cayman last night..we did the horseback riding and swim with the horses with Paul at Spirit of the West. It was an incredible experience. The horses were great...we had a nice long swim on the horses and got some incredible pics/videos....I was recommended to them by my sister who is an equine vet as she not only had a great time with them (twice) but was impressed with how the horses were cared for.

I hope this isnt too late for you, but I just got back from Grand Cayman last night..we did the horseback riding and swim with the horses with Paul at Spirit of the West. It was an incredible experience. The horses were great...we had a nice long swim on the horses and got some incredible pics/videos....I was recommended to them by my sister who is an equine vet as she not only had a great time with them (twice) but was impressed with how the horses were cared for.

Thanks so much for the info. I just emailed them requesting a reservation. Their website says the ride is a walk or trot. Did you find the ride too slow? I've only been on horseback once before but I'd like to be able to gain a little speed. Also, the website lists the tour as an hour and 15 min but I'm assuming that doesn't account for transportation time. How long, in total, did this excursion take you? If we did a 9:30 am ride, would we make a 1pm excursion?

Thanks so much for the info. I just emailed them requesting a reservation. Their website says the ride is a walk or trot. Did you find the ride too slow? I've only been on horseback once before but I'd like to be able to gain a little speed. Also, the website lists the tour as an hour and 15 min but I'm assuming that doesn't account for transportation time. How long, in total, did this excursion take you? If we did a 9:30 am ride, would we make a 1pm excursion?

We mostly walked and some trotting, but that was by choice (my daughter's). Paul offered us the chance to gallop - my girlfriend did gallop along the beach which she said was the best part...I held back to stay with my daughter... I cant tell you exactly how long the ride was, but it certainly was well over an hour (not including transportation time from the Westin)...

• 1 month later...

We are planning activities for our cruise in late March 2011. Unfortunately, Pampered Ponies does not seem to want to tell us just how much time we would spend "butt in saddle." That is the key thing I'm trying to figure out...they are responsive otherwise, but it is frustrating. Does anyone have any experiences with how long the rides actually last?

I received an answer in my inbox this morning. Pampered Ponies' 1-hour ride gives you 60 minutes in the saddle, and the 1 1/2 hour gives you 90-minutes...so it does not include the "prep" time. They also give a 10% discount for contacting them over the internet, and are one of the few (if not the only stable) that will accept credit card payment...most of the ones I've researched accept only cash or traveler's checks.

Their website says the ride is a walk or trot. Did you find the ride too slow? I've only been on horseback once before but I'd like to be able to gain a little speed.

If you've only been on a horse once, a trot is all the speed you'll need:).

• 2 months later...
I received an answer in my inbox this morning. Pampered Ponies' 1-hour ride gives you 60 minutes in the saddle, and the 1 1/2 hour gives you 90-minutes...so it does not include the "prep" time. They also give a 10% discount for contacting them over the internet, and are one of the few (if not the only stable) that will accept credit card payment...most of the ones I've researched accept only cash or traveler's checks.

How do I get in touch with Pampered Ponies? Do they have a website?

You can simply do a search for them, or if need be email me at aol.com and I can get the info to you in response. Their contact numbers/email are on the site. If you call them, try to use a prepaid calling card to save a lot of $$ on the call!

Archived