Best Key West Bars For......

CaribbeanCrazy

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread. Good tips.

We lived in KW in the late 80's and have been down sevceral times since.

Favorite spots in downtown are Hog's Breath, Bull/Whistle, Rick's and Capt Tony's around the corner on Green. Skipped Sloppy Joe's as it was mostly young, loud, and obnoxious. The Green Iguana was a nice stop for a sandwich and beer last time down. The Green Parrot was good later in the day, but it's a bit of a hike, at Truman and Whitehead, if I remember right.

Overall favorite: the Bull and Whistle with it's three floors. The Bull is on the street with the Whistle above. The balcony is great for people watching. The top of the place, called Garden of Eden, is a clothing optional bar :eek: on the roof (last several trips, anyway). It has a great view of the downtown area and occasionally other sights.

Although...we do plan on going to the Key West Winery and trying some of their fruity wines. Most likely we will buy a bottle or two if we like them.

Any comment on the winery???

You will have a good visit at the winery, those guys are great and you will sample some very unusual wines.

Have a great visit!

Mike :D

been there tryed the wines.not great

I would go to the Schooner Wharf Bar for sure. Happy Hour and good entertainment included. For a quiet pleasant setting away from all the tourists go to Kelly's Caribbean Bar on Whitehead. The bar is owned by Kelly McGillis (Top Gun babe).

it's a nice quiet place off the beaten path.good drinks and micro brewed beers(right there)

I've been taking notes for my December cruise....where would be the best place to get some key lime pie? Thanks!

Hands down, no contest (and I ATE my way around Key West) - Kermit's Key Lime shop - about 4 blocks from Duval down from Sloopy Joes.

My FAVORITE bar on the island is still Cap't Tony's. If you're a die hard Buffett fan, you'll recognize the name. When he was starting out in Key West, he frequented there. It's a neat place that has history, too. The tree in it is the old town hanging tree so it's said to be haunted. (It was also used as a morgue once if I'm not mistaken.) They've always had some good live music, but it's not the quietest, nor the loudest on the island.

I hear Louie's Backyard (which is also mentioned in a few Buffett songs) in AWESOME but expect to pay an arm and a leg for most anything. And get a taxi or trolly to get you there, it's pretty far off the beaten path.

• 3 weeks later...

At the end of Duval street near Atlantic Shores there is The Beachclub with outside seating with a view of the ocean. It actually has beach chairs and umbrellas or tables. They have happy hour specials with both reasonably priced appetiziers and drinks.

• 1 month later...
WOW! Great List!

Do Irish Kevin's and Hogs Breath still have LIVE entertainment in the afternoons?

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Still wondering about where to find LIVE entertainment in the afternoons?

Please HELP! :confused:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
My best advice, and it took my third vacation there to realize this, is to [b]get off of Duval Street[/b] and venture inland to some of the local bars. They are the most friendliest folks and you get a chance to chat with the locals and discover the REAL Key West. Beers are cheap, people are friendly, chickens run around at your feet, dogs lay in the middle of the floor. Sorry I can't remember the names of some of these places but it was so refreshing to get away from the tourist traps for a change and become a 'local' for a spell. Try it, you'll really enjoy it.

Archived