Cruise Director on Journey??

sabu24

Cruising again on The Journey in February. Anyone know who the current CD is?

Thanks

Fran

Believe that John Howell is returning to the Quest when he returns from holidays. Onboard the Journey at this time should be Tony Markey. Happy cruising.

we join Quest 23rd Jan...do you think he will be back then? heard great things about this bloke :)

John left the Journey on December 18 for holidays so I cannot imagine that he will be onboard by January 23. Believe it will be late February before he returns.

Yes...John is a great cruise director.

Enjoy your time onboard the Quest.

Its all a matter of taste. We found John annoying and intrusive, lacking sincerity and tied up in his own ego.

Denning was brash and aloof.

Hi Keefy !

I'm surprised to hear your comments. I've sailed with Mr. Howell on many occasions, when he was with Celebrity. I've found him to be very kind, and extremely visible. I often noticed him spending time with the Passengers. I always felt that he tried very hard to help them have a great Cruise. I would say the vast majority of passengers enjoy him very much. As for Ms. Denning, I have not had the pleasure of sailing with her yet, but I've never seen anything but extremely positive comments about her.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. That's one of the many wonderful things about Cruise Critic. With that said, this is another topic (such as food and entertainment) that is very subjective.

I'd be thrilled to sail with Mr. Howell or Ms. Denning as My Cruise Director. Heck, Id be happy to be on any Cruise right now :)

Happy New Year !

Our Journey experience in May 09 (Barcelona to Copenhagen) was made special by our CD, John. In our ~38 cruise experiences he is the most selfless, tactful, hard working, yet humble CD we've ever had. He made for a most memorable cruise as he worked tirelessly; focusing on the goal to make the Azamara experience special for each and every passenger. If one had to sum up in a name what all cruise directors should aspire to: John Howell is the answer.

I can only hope that Trudy and I can be blessed to have John again as our CD in the future. This thread is about CD's but just a quick side note: Phillip (Hotel Director) was also exceptional.

Happy New Year and Happy Cruising to all!

Keith

We were on Quest in November and had the pleasure of having Sue Denning as CD. She is not at all brash or aloof. We enjoyed her wonderful sense of humour. She was often around at departures or arrivals and about the ship. We did not attend her shows, but our friends who did she is an amazing entertainer.

John Howell is terrific, as is Hotel Director Phillip Herbert.

We had Phillip as Hotel Director in May on Journey from Barcelona to Copenhagen, and in 2005 on the Crystal Harmony in Alaska. He's great.

Hi to Robert, Keith, and Trudy! Hope you are all doing well.

Happy New Year!

Dustin

We were also on the Journey with John Howell and found him to be a wonderful cruise director. Can't say enough about John and Phillip as well as the rest of the cruise staff on our Barcelona to Copenhagen run in May 2009. Hi to all the great people we met on that cruise.

There seems to be a reunion of the May 2009 cruise on the Journey. Hello and Happy New Year to all of you!

We agree that John and Phillip were exceptional! We fondly recall that trip and all the fun we had with the wonderful people we met.

Happy travels in 2010.

Kathy and Ed

We also sailed on Journey Barcelona to Copenhagen with John...had a nice time. Hi to Trudy and Keith....happy New Year. I like your videos...do you have one from the May 2009 cruise? Roberta

Hi Roberta...I didn't make a slideshow from our cruise YET...but it's been on my "to do list" for quite some time! Since you "kindly reminded" me of it, I started working on it yesterday. It's now my resolution to finish it before we take our next cruise! :)

John Howell is terrific, as is Hotel Director Phillip Herbert.

We had Phillip as Hotel Director in May on Journey from Barcelona to Copenhagen, and in 2005 on the Crystal Harmony in Alaska. He's great.

Hi to Robert, Keith, and Trudy! Hope you are all doing well.

Happy New Year!

Dustin

Hey Dustin...hope all is well with you and Alicia. Looking back on our pics reminded me of all the fun we had...especially at the big shin dig thrown in your suite along with Andy and Sheila's! Do you have any cruise plans for this year?

We were also on the Journey with John Howell and found him to be a wonderful cruise director. Can't say enough about John and Phillip as well as the rest of the cruise staff on our Barcelona to Copenhagen run in May 2009. Hi to all the great people we met on that cruise.

Hello Craig and Diane! When I make our slideshow I'm definately going to incorporate a "horse and buggy" pic from Brugges! I think I got at least one good from the dozens I took! :p Hope our paths cross again one day on the high seas!

There seems to be a reunion of the May 2009 cruise on the Journey. Hello and Happy New Year to all of you!

We agree that John and Phillip were exceptional! We fondly recall that trip and all the fun we had with the wonderful people we met.

Happy travels in 2010.

Kathy and Ed

Hi Kathy and Ed...good to hear from so many of us lucky ones who were on Journey in May '09! Today we booked Aug. 17th on Journey to the British Isles. We'd be delighted if John was our CD again! He's the best in our book! ;)

Happy New Year to all and may your 2010 be filled with Health, Happiness and at least one cruise!!! :D

Take care...

Trudy

We sailed with John and Philip on our 2009 Iceland cruise, and they were great!

Now we are going to take the same cruise your took - Barcelona to Copenhagen, and hope to meet then again..

Do you have any tips ? Any recommendations about excursions etc?

thanks in advance

Miriam

Have a great time. I didn't take many ship excursions. It was very easy to get around on our own. We took the train from Rouen to Paris...very easy and quite inexpensive. We'd been to both Rouen and Paris last year. Amsterdam is also an easy place to see on your own. The tram stops right at the dock and is a quick ride to center of town. Get a tram map online. We travel a lot and really feel confident about getting out there on our own. We did take a few excursions which were very good...Ghent by water...London with Pub lunch. Have fun....we did...and we met a lot of really nice people.

Thanks.. Our itinerary is somewhat different. Our stop in France is in St. Malo (opportunity to visit Mont St. Michel); and we don't dock in Amsterdam but in Ijmuiden.. We have been to Ghent, so I was actually thinking about maybe exploring Antwerpen - is the city center close to port?

And what about Gibraltar? We were there too - a long time ago.. but of course we would like to visit the monkeys..

Miriam

We were on the Journey twice last year - Rome to Barcelona and the Baltics. We had the pleasure of having John and Phillip on both trips and they were wonderful. We took several port walks w/ John on the Rome-Barcelona trip and he was very nice and really went out of his way to make sure we had a great time. He arranged with the harpist for her to bring her harp to the church in Portofino where she gave us a private concert - it was quite a treat. And Phillip couldn't have been more warm and helpful (even when a member of our family missed the ship by losing her rental car in Berlin.(oh brother that was something else) He really went out of his way to help us out.

I hope to get the chance to cruise again with both of these outstanding professionals.

Andrea

DH and I just returned from Panama Canal cruise on Jan. 3. Tony Marky was the CD and he was great. He has a beautiful voice and is actively involved in some of the shows, as well as some activities. He is quite visible; you should enjoy him very much. Have a great trip.

DH and I just returned from Panama Canal cruise on Jan. 3. Tony Marky was the CD and he was great. He has a beautiful voice and is actively involved in some of the shows, as well as some activities. He is quite visible; you should enjoy him very much. Have a great trip.

That's great to hear. Do you know if Tony will be on the Journey for the Aug. 17th British Isles cruise? Thanks.

Trudy

Thanks Trudy.

Tony onboard is good news. It will be like old home week.

Can't wait. I just hope this isn't our last Azamara. With all the changes and new pricing structure, I will have to wait and see. With around 20 cruises under my belt, Azamara has become NUMBER ONE.

ARE YOU LISTENING AZAMARA!!!!!! Don't lose your loyal customers

Fran

Archived