Rain Forest Tour

Gottacruise3

We just did the rainforest tour with the short walk........ it is relatively easy. A few steps, up and down but not a big grade, wet and slippery in some spots, but take it slow and watch where you're going (you want to look up and around alot :o) and you'll be fine. It was nice to get out of the bus and walk around. The La Mina falls stop was nice too as well as the lookout tower. Do try to climb to the top.....the views are amazing.

I wrote a review of my private tour of the rainforest with Legends of Puerto Rico in my pre and post cruise San Juan thread, I really thought Carlos and Debbie were wonderful and I got far more out of this tour than I had in a cruise excursion tour I had taken a couple of years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

really you can rent a car and do the rainforest yourself. that way you can follow up with a stop at Luquillo beach or the 50+ roadside stands. The easiest trail is the Big Tree trail to the waterfall. its listed as moderate while the others are strenouous. My mom had trouble walking down the hills because of her knee-there are some steep spots. There are two towers to climb, a waterfall to swim under. If you rent a car you can spend more time there for less $

I agree with servalgirl - no need at all for a tour guide. It's very easy and MUCH less expensive to rent a car and drive out yourself. We have done it many times. The roads are well marked and the traffic isn't bad at all once you get out of the city. DEFINATELY, hike the trail and swim under the waterfall. I would say the walk is challenging. But, if you go on your own you can totally do it at your own pace. If you get tired, just stop and sit down for a few minutes-it's not a race. Plus it's really nice to go on your own because the rainforest is so peaceful when you are not with a large group making noise all around you. Go as early as you posibly can to avoid lots of people at the falls.

Well, I just returned today from my cruise. I can't believe it is over. I used Countryside Tours and our driver was Frank. The price was basically the same as the ship tour except that we were in a private van and were able to customize the trip to what we wanted to do. He met us at the pier at 9:00 am. We went straight to the rainforest and beat all the bigger tour buses. We did the longer walk which takes about 1.5 hours if you go swimming. The driver also took us to Loquillo beach for a while. The weather wasnt great so we just walked around a bit and had a pina colada. It is a really beautiful beach. Then he drove us down the scenic route through the villages and neighborhoods along the water (Carolina area) and ended up behind the airport and ate at a fabulous restaurant called Metroport (or something similar) He waited for us with our luggage and had us to the airport in plenty of time. We could have stayed longer in the rainforest and went swimming if we wanted to. We had 7 people so the cost was about 62 pp including the tip. Our driver's name was Frank was you should ask for him. He gave us such a great informative tour along with recipies for some awesome authentic puerto rican dishes!! I am sure it would have been cheaper to rent a car and do the driving ourselves but this was just a great painless way to end the cruise. I highly recommend this company.

We're supposed to be in San Juan 7:30-2:30 -- not ideal touring times, and I can't imagine why RC chose them!

Is it possible in this timeframe to go to the rain forest and still make it back to town to see El Morro? Is a taxi (need a van taxi -- six people) a possibility?

Archived