Is it worth going to Sapphire if we have 15,000 people in port with us?

luckyprincess

Hi! I'm going on FOS on Saturday, and haven't scheduled anything for St. Thomas. Mostly, because we will have 4 other ships in port with us for about 15,000 people!:eek:

We want to do Paradise Point, but I know that won't take all day. I have heard that there are jetski's and parasailing at Sapphire and that it is beautiful. We don't just sit in the sand well, so would love to do some activities. Does anyone with experience there know if it's worth even going to the beach? I'm not sure if everything will be packed tight with people or all the activities booked up by the time we get there. Do most people go in the morning, or afternoon?

I hate not having a plan. Is there an actual town to walk around in or is it like the port at Cozumel, where it's kind of like a flea market? Thanks for any help!

We were at Sapphire in '07 with three other ships in port. There were many people there, but it was not nearly as crowded as I expected. It was very easy for us to find a nice spot in the sand to lay our belongings while we went into the water. There was only my husband and myself, along with one other individual snorkeling, and there was a women nearby floating on a raft. Looking down the other end of the beach, I only remember seeing maybe a dozen or so people in the water. I was amazed. Everyone else seemed to prefer lying out in the sun. If you're envisioning a beach where you can't enter the water without bumping into someone else, that wasn't our experience at all. I remember seeing a small motor boat way out in the distance at one point, but I don't recall seeing jet skis or parasailing when we were there. I don't think you will have a problem securing rentals, but maybe if you contact the marina beforehand, they may take reservations for certain actvivities, I don't know.

We went straight there after getting into port. I'm not sure about downtown, as we are beachgoers and not shoppers when we travel, sorry.

Sapphire is the prettiest beach on the island IMO, and is perfect for the active beachgoer. I wouldn't miss it. Here are a few pics so you can see how crowded the beach/water was the day we were there.

102_2264.jpg

102_2340.jpg

102_2343.jpg

102_2352.jpg

There are jetskis at Sapphire, they are at the marina. And parasailing can be arranged, they also pick up at the marina. The parasailing boat isn't waiting there, they come if they have customers reserved - so if you want to do that you should think about making a reservation. Another beach you could look at is Cowpet, it tends to be quiet. They have a watersports pass you can get which allows use of the various non-motorized items like paddle boats, kayaks, windsurfers. So those things would keep you busy. Secret Harbor is another; they don't have as many watersports items but they have a dive shop if you wanted to do some diving and the dive shop rents kayaks. There is a good snorkeling there. Try a beach guide for St. Thomas for more information, photos of beaches etc.: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=st.+thomas+beach+guide+east+end&aq=0&oq=st.+thomas+beach+guide+e&aqi=g1.

Folks from the cruise ships go to the beach both in the morning and afternoon, however its typically quieter earlier in the morning and then gets progressively more busy (at the popular beaches) as the day continues. A lot of tours include shop/tour/beach so those show up in the early afternoon. By late afternoon its clearing out as folks have to be back to the ship.

There is a town, Charlotte Amalie. You can do a walking tour of some of the old historical buildings: churches, old Danish buildings, etc. And town has a lot of shopping.

--Islander

I just cruised 5 December on the NCL Pearl and their were five ships in port to include the Oasis of the Seas on it's inaugural cruise. Sapphire Beach is where we ended up on our tour with Papa Bear and that was probably the only place that we went that didn't have a crowd :D! Beach chairs were $7 and there was a lady that walked the beach taking food and drink orders. It turned to be one of the highlights of our cruise. There were some cool ducks on the beach and of course iguanas! We totally enjoyed it. Have fun on your cruise!

Melody- How are you planning on getting on FOS on Saturday? RCCL is insistent that I can only board on Sunday!!!!! Sorry- just had to tease you about your post...I am on the same cruise!

Lol - it's all very elaborate and involves flashlights, a step ladder and some duct tape - I will be on that ship on Saturday, damnit!!!:p

Just kidding! Yes - see, as soon as my vacation starts I just consider it my cruise in my mind, I guess. I actually only work tomorrow night then I'm done - I'm suprised I didn't say I get on FOS on Friday:D

Archived