A nice surprise...

Gaynors

Just wanted to mention one other item that left a memorable impression from our Atlantica cruise.

As members of the Costa Club I noticed that it said you get a free birthday cake. Well, my son's birthday was the week before the cruise so I thought it would be nice it we could have a cake to celebrate his birthday ( a little belated). I called the Costa Club about two weeks before our cruise and asked if I could request the free cake for my son's birthday. I was told that he could not have the free cake because he was not a Costa Club member and that the free cake is only for the members and that they note when your birthday is and will give one only when it is your birthday. I informed the representative that my son had sailed on Costa before but because he is under 18 is not allowed to join the Costa Club. I was offered to buy a cake for $8.95 that was all she could do for me.

I was disappointed since when we sailed on the Fortuna 2 years earlier we had no problem requested a cake for his birthday (which was once again a few days prior to our sailing).

I didn't think anything else of it.

The first night were were very surprised and delighted to have a wonderful birthday cake brought to my son. It was delicious, probably the best dessert we had the whole cruise. It was like a chocolate eclair cake or something. I was so unprepared I didn't even have a camera to take a picture of everyone singing and the surprise on his face when the brought the cake out to him.

Thanks Costa! Now if you could just work on the customer service people a little ;)

P.S. The customer service representative at the dock who checked us in noted my son's birthday had just passed and wished him a happy birthday too. That was very nice as well.

I wish we could have saved some of this cake. It was soooo delicious. If we had a refrigerator in the room we might have even brought it back to the room for a midnight snack!!

We were so full after overindulging at the first nights dinner, we didn't get to enjoy as much of it had we known it was coming. :)

Archived