Which pool(s) are adults only?

cruisewiththekids

Sailing on the nieuw Amsterdam next year, but I understand the Eurodam is very similar. Which pool(s) are adults only? I see a Lido pool and a Seaview pool that looks aft. Thanks.

The Sea View Pool is "Adult Only", at least according to the signs.

No one can say what the case will be aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam, regardless of what the Eurodam signage says. Suffice it to say that the "rule" regarding kids in the aft pool appears to vary from ship to ship and even from sailing to sailing on the same ship. How the rule is enforced -- to what extent it is enforced -- will also vary from cruise to cruise, depending upon the administration and the passenger composition.

For instance: On the Noordam the Aft Pool has the following permanent signage:

aftpoolkids.jpg

This sign doesn't change. How it's enforced DOES. For instance ... I saw children in the aft pool on the Noordam, even despite the sign. There was, of course, no lifeguard present. Neither were there many adults present in the area at the time -- and, certainly, not their parents because the kind of horseplay going on would have almost certainly occasioned parental reprimand. Dangerous? You bet. But, as with dress code violations: (1) it's not my problem, and (2) it's their cruise [their parents paid for it].

This sign is not found on other ships ... instead, there's usually a notice that states that children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Is that regulation followed there? Nope ... or, rather, rarely.

Edited by RevNeal

On the recent Maasdam Christmas cruise (just returned) there was a notice in the daily program reminding passengers the 'lido pool is designated for families' the sea view pool was reserved for adults. However there was a bit of a problem very brief at the seaview pool one afternoon and it as quickly fixed.

Cruise the entire cruise, the lido pool was so full of kids you could hardly see the water!!!!!

For instance: On the Noordam the Aft Pool has the following permanent signage:

aftpoolkids.jpg

I hope they didn't pay extra for that apostrophe. :eek: Yikes. (Sorry--it's the proofreader in me. I also hate the comma splice in the sign in the cabin bathroom: "Water is precious, please conserve it.")

Photos from jtl513 show the Eurodam Aft Pool rule allowing kids 14 and above: http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/Aft-Pool-Rules_jtl513.jpg I'd always been under the assumption that ALL Aft Pools were adult only...

Can you all take photos of the Pool signs on your ships and send me the photos of the pool signs so I can post them under Miscellaneous Photos for each ship, along with the plugs in staterooms and fridges??

Joanie

hrhdhd -- I'm a court reporter, which makes me a compulsive proofreader as well. I have the same problem. Hate misplaced commas and unnecessary apostrophes and the like. Drives me crazy.

There's a big difference between adults only and kids allowed with supervision. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Photos from jtl513 show the Eurodam Aft Pool rule allowing kids 14 and above: http://abqreunion2008.com/Eurodam/Aft-Pool-Rules_jtl513.jpg I'd always been under the assumption that ALL Aft Pools were adult only...

Can you all take photos of the Pool signs on your ships and send me the photos of the pool signs so I can post them under Miscellaneous Photos for each ship, along with the plugs in staterooms and fridges??

Joanie

Actually the sign you've given the link for is on the Statendam, but it is same as commonly found on all HAL ships we've been on since I started paying attention to it! :) On the Noordam a couple of weeks ago, however, it has been altered to remove the "children under 14" line so that it does not conflict with the sign on the wall that RevNeal showed. Interestingly, it still shows "No diapered children" and "No running, jumping, or pushing" in this "adult" pool!

I'll email you this pic at full resolution.

Click pic to enlarge

2709850740099632937EcvlHM_th.jpg

Edited by jtl513

On the Eurodam, during our Thanksgiving cruise of 2008, the sign stated "... under 14 with adult supervision". During our 2009 Eurodam Thanksgiving cruise the sign now states "adults only". In addition, the CD made several reminders during the daily anoucements that the Seaview Pool was for adults only.

However, the only people I saw actually in the pool during the day were childreen, but they were well behaved.

Edited by topspot

Actually the sign you've given the link for is on the Statendam, but it is same as commonly found on all HAL ships we've been on since I started paying attention to it! :) On the Noordam a couple of weeks ago, however, it has been altered to remove the "children under 14" line so that it does not conflict with the sign on the wall that RevNeal showed. Interestingly, it still shows "No diapered children" and "No running, jumping, or pushing" in this "adult" pool!

I'll email you this pic at full resolution.

Click pic to enlarge

2709850740099632937EcvlHM_th.jpg

Got the corrections made and Placed on the Statendam instead:)

Joanie

I've noticed that the "adults only" pools are very loosely, if ever enforced. Most of the time, on HAL, the kids are not a big problem. However, on our last Zuiderdam cruise, there was a rather boisterous group of tweenagers who seemed to dominate both pool areas. Some people on board did get upset and I actually heard a couple of them complaining to the staff. Starting on the third day, a reminder about the "adults only" pool was printed boldly in the daily. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to matter much and the kids were still there, at both pools for the entire cruise. Noisy playing kids never really bothered me much, but I do understand that some people do go on cruises to get away from that sort of stuff. Kids are kids and I blame the parents, not the kids or the cruiseline.

I'm a court reporter, which makes me a compulsive proofreader as well. I have the same problem. Hate misplaced commas and unnecessary apostrophes and the like. Drives me crazy.

I'm a scopist/proofreader, and it also drives me crazy!

Last year on the Volendam on our Australia New Zealand cruise, there were lots of kids in the pool. Apparently, our cruise took place during some school holidays in Australia and we had more children than average. And I have to say, the lack of parental supervision at the pool was truly a problem on this trip. After observing an accident (one child jumped on top of another and not a parent was in site), I complained to management and requested that "adult only times" be designated for one of the pools. My mother really wanted to swim but with so many kids in the pool, running around the edge, she was afraid she might get hurt.

Furthermore, I saw on more than one occasion parents bringing diapered children into the lido and aft pools, despite clear signage indicating this was not allowed. In one extreme case, one lady brought her infant son (clearly under 1 year age) into the jacuzzi with a diaper on. Everyone sitting near us was shocked, as the baby was turning red by the minute (not to mention the diaper in the pool issue).

We never got the adult only times, even though others complained and also asked for them. Crew were afraid to upset the parents and children on their holiday (nevermind anyone else's holiday or safety). We could have been made sick from those diapers in the pool and someone may have been hurt due to lack of discipline at the pool area by both children and their parents.

This was the only significant downside to the trip- the problems in the pool with the undisciplined kids and diapers.

HAL- are you listening? We need to have adult only times at the pool.

• 3 weeks later...

HAL permanently lost our business over their refusal to enforce their own rules in regards to kids in the "adults only" pools.

On our first (and last) HAL cruise, we were delighted to learn that one of the pools on the ship was designated "adults only". We were happier still when the Cruise Director reminded everyone of this during his embarcation address.

Despite that, the supposedly "adults-only" pool was constantly full of kids/tweens, complete with their typical splashing, squealing, etc. When we complained, the pool staff just shrugged. Fed up, we finally spoke to an officer, and mentioned the CD's announcement. To our astonishment, the officer rudely informed us that the CD "never said that". :confused: :eek: :mad:

We were furious - not only did we never get a chance to enjoy a dip in the pool, but also because the officer had insinuated that we were liars.

How do you know these "kids", especially the "teenagers", are not adults? My very young looking adult daughter has gotten looks from other passengers at the aft pool and in the Crows nest in the evening. We also had one couple in fixed seating who pointedly glared at her and announced they did not sit with children. She now looks a little older and we haven't had this the last few cruises.

Edited by Jemima

How do you know these "kids", especially the "teenagers", are not adults? My very young looking adult daughter has gotten looks from other passengers at the aft pool and in the Crows nest in the evening. We also had one couple in fixed seating who pointedly glared at her and announced they did not sit with children. She now looks a little older and we haven't had this the last few cruises.

I sailed with my 23-year-old niece who doesn't look her age. She got on the tour bus carrying a beer that they gave us at the rest stop, and the couple across from us glared at her and made a snide remark that I could hear about minors drinking. I leaned over and politely said she was over 21 and as her aunt I ought to know, and they shut up after that :)

How do you know these "kids", especially the "teenagers", are not adults?
Because children are not adults.

Also please re-read my post - I never said anything about teenagers. The children splashing and squealing in the adults-only pool ranged in age from about 6 to about 11 or 12.

Edited by Northwest Wind

When we complained, the pool staff just shrugged. Fed up, we finally spoke to an officer, and mentioned the CD's announcement. To our astonishment, the officer rudely informed us that the CD "never said that".

We were furious - not only did we never get a chance to enjoy a dip in the pool, but also because the officer had insinuated that we were liars.

What "pool staff" did you complain to? HAL doesn't have a "pool staff". You'll find Filipino Bar staff walking around but they are not responsible for "pool rule enforcement"

A collection of signs for aft or seaview pools:

aftpoolkids.jpg

Permanent "Adults only" sign - So far only found on Noordam and possibly, Eurodam

IMG_0386.jpg?t=1264367645

Paper "Adults Only" message taped to a sign on Westerdam

HALPoolrules-1.jpg?t=1264367197

Pool sign found at most aft/seaview pools - Note the "Children under 14 require adult supervision" - That means children are allowed

IMG_0391.jpg?t=1264367905

Same sign found on Westerdam with "Children under 14 require adult supervision" and "No diapered children" removed and replaced with "Pool for adults only"

HALAdultsonlyaftpoolsign.jpg?t=1264367324

Temporary sign making the aft/seaview pool for adults only. Note the "yep, no kids" on the bottom;)

Bottom line: the aft/seaview pool on the four "S" (minus Veendam)and the four "R" (minus Rotterdam) class ships is still for adults and children unless it is designated "Adults only" during certain cruises by staff and temporary signs indicating it as such are put out. Veendam and Rotterdam no longer have aft/seaview pools since they have been replaced by the infamous "wading/Retreat pool" which is for both adults & children. Unless things change, Statendam, Maasdam and Ryndam are scheduled to get the "Retreat pool" also. The jury is still out as far as Prinsendam's aft pool status since her recently completed drydock.

Noordam, Westerdam, Eurodam's (possibly Oosterdam and Zuiderdam also) aft/seaview pools are "Adults only" at all times.

It was on Eurodam that the rule was not enforced.

That's because HAL does not have anyone (staff) assigned to (both) pools for enforcement purposes, in other words, there is no pool staff, never has been one. The only employees that you'll find "assigned" to both pool areas are the Filipino Bar staff (and the two cooks at the Terrace Grill midships). They are not responsible for enforcing pool rules.

HAL has big signs posted at the pool and jacuzzis that spell out those pool rules. Could it be that in doing that, they foolishly expect the adults (including those adults responsible for their offspring who use the pools) to take responsibility to follow those rules?:eek: I know, a totally foreign concept:cool:

Edited by Copper10-8

That's because HAL does not have anyone (staff) assigned to (both) pools for enforcement purposes, in other words, there is no pool staff, never has been one. The only employees that you'll find "assigned" to both pool areas are the Filipino Bar staff (and the two cooks at the Terrace Grill midships). They are not responsible for enforcing pool rules.

HAL has big signs posted at the pool and jacuzzis that spell out those pool rules. Could it be that in doing that, they foolishly expect the adults (including those adults responsible for their offspring who use the pools) to take responsibility to follow those rules?:eek: I know, a totally foreign concept:cool:

Agreed.

It was bad enough that we NEVER got to use the pool, but what really infuriated us was the officer's behavior and attitude. To basically call us liars and claim that the Cruise Director never made that reminder announcement. Several other pax overheard the conversation and chimed in, saying they too clearly heard the CD say this. The officer simply turned and walked off. Such a shock considering how incredibly polite and smiling all the other officers and crew were on the ship.

Obviously, HAL made a business decision not to enforce this rule on this cruise, not wanting to risk confronting the parents of these kids and risk losing them as customers. Instead, they lost folks like us as clients. I'm sure they crunched the numbers and chose whichever option would lose them the least money. Shrug - whatever, that's their business model. I'm no longer a HAL customer, but did want to let people know what the deal is with the so-called "adults-only" "rule" on HAL.

Can anyone comment on the 'family pool' on the Noordam? I'm considering HAL for the first time after many cruises on NCL & RCI. I have a 3-year old and I'm worried that there won't be anywhere appropriate for her to have a little paddle. I've found toddler paddling pools on other ships but can't find any mention of something like this on the Noordam. Is there a section of the pool which isn't too deep? Thanks!