Sail Winifred - Outstanding !!!

HockeyDAD73

There are excursions and then there are events that you will remember the rest of your life. Sailing with Capt. Sharon on Winifred (sailwinifred.com) is one of those events. During our one-day stop in St. Thomas on 1/5/05 we sailed with Capt. Sharon and her first mate Tommy. I had made the arrangements with her months before our arrival for myself, my DW, and our two sons (22 / 18 years old) after reading positive reviews of her on this board. We left the ship (Navigator) about 8:00 AM for the 30-minute van ride to the Red Hook marina. Once there we had plenty of time for breakfast at Molly’s restaurant there in the marina.

I walked out on the dock and saw Winifred anchored and Capt Sharon motoring in to pick us up in her dingy named “Sharon.” Before I could say hello, Sharon started saying hello to us by name, how she knew which boys name was which, I’ll never know, but she got them both right. Up came the shoe bag and that was the last time we wore our shoes until we retuned to the dock. Capt. Sharon has this whole adventure organized down to a science from the shoe bag to the snorkeling instructions, to returning to the dock. It is choreographed to the last little detail, which I appreciated and it sure prevents anyone from getting hurt or falling off the boat.

Once on Winifred we met Tommy the first mate. He is a cross between Gilligan and Letterman. He is very quick witted, funny, and very good at his job. Once we are all seated, up comes the anchor and we are off. As soon as we left the protected water of the marina we could see a rainstorm over St. John. In a very few minutes we were in a very stiff wind, with rain and 4ft seas. Not to worry, Capt Sharon hands out rain gear and skillfully sails Winifred thru the tempest. Actually we all loved it. This was sailing, fast, bumpy, and makes you feel alive. My DW is mostly a land lover and she even enjoyed it. After about 10 minutes the passing shower left as quickly as it appeared and the sun shone brightly, the seas calmed down and we headed to Caneel bay on St. John.

Once securely anchored Capt. Sharon gave the instructions on using the snorkeling gear and in a splash we were in 83 degree turquoise colored water with bright sun, about 300 yards from shore. Once in the water Tommy became our aquatic guide. For the next several hours we explored Caneel bay finding multiple sea turtles, starfish, conches, a moray eel, stingrays, all sorts of fish, and beautiful coral. As added comfort we took along our Winnie Wings to allow us to rest by floating around. Then continued our underwater adventure. For the land lovers there were wild donkeys on the beach. All in all paradise.

Next thing we knew it was time for lunch so we all swam back to the boat where we enjoyed a delicious lunch of salad, chicken over rice, and cookies. Sadly after lunch it was time to set sail back to St. Thomas.

Once underway, behind us we could see the rain moving in again, but Mother Nature allowed us to have our fun before she brought the rain again. While sailing back we saw St. John and Tortola disappear again in the rain, but the weather moved in another direction leaving us with calm seas and bright sun for the ride back to Red Hook.

While sailing I had the opportunity to talk to Capt. Sharon and found that she is the “Grand Dame” of the day sailing Capitan’s on St. Thomas. Both High Pockets (Kathleen) and Fantasy’s (Pam) Captains cut their teeth as Capt. Sharon’s first mates over the years. They are a small community of sailors. Capt. Sharon and Winifred have been at this for 24 years.

All of us had such a great time. My oldest son made the announcement that he could give up college to live on St. John and become a sailor. Later that week I convinced him to at least finish college first as a backup plan. I cannot say enough how much fun we had. This will go in the books as one of the best family days we have ever had.

If your looking to do a day sail in St. Thomas, I can surely recommend Capt. Sharon and Winifred with the highest amount of confidence that they will make your day as special as our was. Do not hesitate, if you’re going to be on St. Thomas, forget it about the shopping and invest your money in yourself and your family. Take a risk and enjoy life. The memories you will create will outlast any jewelry or t-shirts you will buy and file away once you are home.

Hockeydad, we came away with the same feelings as you and your family. We spent the day with Sharon last July, and will be doing it again this July. It is just a perfect way to spend the day while in St. Thomas. There was not one thing I would have changed about it...it was just perfect! Aren't Sharon and Tommy the nicest people?

My husband and I are going to be in St Thomas the end of Jan...I just stumbled onto the entire day sail idea! (I know, where have I been???)

After reading you incredible review HOCKEYDAD, I emailed Capt. Sharon (received a very nice informative email back promptly also!) for information and guess what! WE GOT IN! I am so excited I just had to tell someone!

I also emailed Sharon yesterday after reading the review.

She does respond fast and really makes you feel like you need to be there!

We're headed there next month and I am trying to convince my wife that we need to join her also. She doesn't want to give up shopping and because we are doing the Americas Cup Regatta she feels that one day of sailing is enough.

We'll see...................

Hockeydad,

Consider it done...thanks again for such an incredible review! We will be sailing on the 31st and I will post when we return.

DH and I are REALLY looking forward to our day with them!

I still can't believe we got in.

We're headed there next month and I am trying to convince my wife that we need to join her also. She doesn't want to give up shopping and because we are doing the Americas Cup Regatta she feels that one day of sailing is enough. We'll see...................

To the Grandparents - when are you going, and on what ship? We did the America's cup last year, and that was a real blast, but this appears to be a whole different ball game. The Regatta was fast paced, exciting and had LOTS of people on board, but this one sounds like a relaxing day in heaven, doesn't it?

Hockeydad, thanks so much for posting your review. We'll be sailing with Captain Sharon and first mate Tommy next week and we can't wait!!!

Do you remember if she had bottled water or just sodas, beer and rum punch?

Thanks for taking the time to post such a detailed review. I'm currently researching daysails for our time in St. Thomas in Nov '05 and Winifred is certainly in the running! Reviews like yours make it so much easier to research.

Hockeydad or Anyone who has sailed Winifred,

We are sailing next week and I am wondering (there is another post out there too) about times..did you get back in plenty of time or did you feel rushed to make the ship? Ours leaves port at 5pm and they said they will return to Red Hook between 3/3:30.

Our ship (Destiny) is sailing out of San Juan and I don't know if their is a time difference either. Just curious if we will need to rush or not! : )

Would hate to end a spectacular day by missing the ship!

No need to rush, St. thomas time is 1 hour ahead of the boat time. We did not feel rushed at all. The boat will say they will depart at 5:00 pm, that will be 6:00 Pm St. thomas time. so if you get back from your day sail at 3:00 PM St. thomas time it is actually 2:00 pm boat time. Capt. Sharon is well aware of your need to get back in plenty of time to return to the ship.

Thanks so much Hockeydad..now I know we will need to be one of the first off the ship if we are to meet her for pickup at 9:30 that will be 8:30 boat time??? so confused..lol..but REALLY looking forward to this! Thanks again and will say hello for you - think of us on Monday! :)

• 2 weeks later...

All of us had such a great time. My oldest son made the announcement that he could give up college to live on St. John and become a sailor. Later that week I convinced him to at least finish college first as a backup plan. I cannot say enough how much fun we had. This will go in the books as one of the best family days we have ever had.

Hockeydad73,

Cpt. Sharon and Tommy said "HELLO"! She asked me to tell you that she will be anxiously awaiting her "second mate" after he finishes college! ;) We had a great chat and they had so much fun with you and your family! We had a family from the Golden Princess (mom, dad, 2 children- fantastic people too!)who did this last year..we had a wonderful time with everyone!

The only thing I found bad about the day was that it went way to fast!!!!

Absolutely amazing experience!

We sailed on the Winifred last month, and this excursion was the highlight of our cruise. We have three children, and Sharon and Tommy did an amazing job of teaching them the basics of snorkeling. Ask your cab driver to take the scenic route to Red Hook, and you can stop at an overlook where you can take some amazing pictures of the Harbor and your cruise ship.

And we also never figured out just how Sharon knew each child by name when she first greeted us, but it sure made them feel special and appreciated.

Emtra,

Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. Tommy and Capt. Sharon have a first class family operation.

Yes, my oldest son graduates college this May and he and Capt. Sharon have a deal, he graduates and then for a time becomes her "Second Mate" to reward himself for 4 years of study. Just hope she was kidding, but then again, I could get used to visiting him in paradise.:D

Next time I am in St. thomas, Winifred is my day adventure again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived