Best Beach from La Romana

We are on a two week Caribbean cruise in February on the Destiny. Our first time to that area. What would be the best beach to go to from this port, not too far please. Will it be safe as I have read bad reviews of this port. Are the local taxi drivers reliable? Any help would be greatly appreciated as we really do not want to spend all day on the ship with such a long time in port.

We are on a two week Caribbean cruise in February on the Destiny. Our first time to that area. What would be the best beach to go to from this port, not too far please. Will it be safe as I have read bad reviews of this port. Are the local taxi drivers reliable? Any help would be greatly appreciated as we really do not want to spend all day on the ship with such a long time in port.

I've seen reports of taxis being held-up here. We used taxis extensively when we did this itinerary - but I'd be very reluctant to do so in the Dom Rep.

On our 'middle' day we did the Altos de Chavon trip with the 'Mississippi' boat trip which we really enjoyed - we also walked into La Romana but it was the least geared to tourists of any port we visited and I must say I was quite glad to get back to the ship.

Hopefully, some other posters may have information about beaches locally - it doesn't look as though Thomson offer a beach transfer/resort option looking at their ports of call/excursions site although I thought they did last year - perhaps there will be more available once on board.

Archived