Another happy rider with Randi

AAL

Just wanted to add my recommendation to all the others for Randi's Happy Horses. My daughters (ages 12 and 17) and I rode with her last week. My 12 year old had no riding experience, and the few times I've ridden in the past were not good. However, after reading all the reviews, I had to go. And I'm so glad we did -- it was an absolutely wonderful day.

We got off the Vision when it docked and Randi quickly found us (and her other ten riders) at the terminal. Don't worry -- you will find each other.

The horses are gentle and very well trained. I was nervous at first, but relaxed quickly. The patient Maria waited for my daughter and I to ride at our own (slow) pace and eventually we were with the rest of the group. It really could not have been easier. When the ride ended, my daughter wanted to get right back on.

And the scenery is absolutely breathtaking. It is wonderful to experience those miles of unspoiled beach.

We returned to the terminal with plenty of time for shopping -- it's a great place to buy souvenirs.

Randi's was definitely one of the highlights of our cruise. Randi is very personable and she and Tony and Maria take good care of their riders.

We'll be riding with Randi Jan 26 -- really looking forward to it. What can you tell me about the beach....anyone swim? snorkel?

Approx. how long was the ride to her boat? And, how long the boat ride to the island?

Sandals or tennis shoes OK?

Thank you!

The beach is a long, long sandy crescent that is undeveloped except for Victors and some other establishments at one end (the end closest to the harbor and the ship). If you are on the starboard side, you will see the beach to the south just before the ship pulls into the harbor. The beach is fairly wide at the north end; Victor's is on the sand, but not at the water's edge.

After the ride, we didn't do anything at the beach. My kids were surprisingly not in the mood to get in the water, and I was happy to vegetate in the shade with a cold beer. (That grueling cruise ship schedule just wears a girl out.) Next time I would probably head back to the ship earlier, as another family did, rather than stay at Victors for lunch. There were lounge chairs in the sun, people swimming, and people riding a banana boat. I don't know about snorkeling. There were lots of vendors, but they weren't obnoxious -- not overly persistent and they weren't little kids.

The truck ride to the water taxi is not long -- 5 or 10 minutes. The ship docks on the north side of the harbor, and the water taxi takes you across to the south side, also about 5 minutes. Then there is a tractor ride to the horses, through a residential area which was very interesting. Not at all touristy, and I enjoy seeing where people really live. The whole experience was great.

We wore sneakers. Sturdy sandals would probably be okay, but the stirrups might be uncomfortable with flip flops.

You will have a wonderful time.

Archived