Cancelling a shore excursion?

sgmburt

Anyone ever cancelled a shore excursion with HAL? We are going to Alaska in May and have already paid for our excursions. Am thinking about changing one and going with an independent company instead. A much better deal. Just wondering if there would be any trouble getting my money refunded? Thanks!

This far from your cruise, there would be no problem at all cancelling. They are very responsive and will credit the cost back to your credit card within a week or so. It has been a delight choosing (or changing) excursions and buying gifts on HAL for our upcoming cruise. :D

When you printed out the confirmation of your tours, there should be a link listed on that paper that you can use to cancel the tour.

OR -- you can call Ship Services at 1-800-541-5476.

If you even wait until you are on the ship to cancel -- you must cancel on embarkation day in order not to pay a penalty. The refund will be credited to your shipboard account. Cancelling anytime after embarkation day you will pay a 10% penalty.

Thanks for posting your question sgmburt. We booked our May Alaskan cruise months ago and once booked I haven't been checking the HAL site to see if prices and specific tours have been posted.

Since we're organizing for a family of 16 I realize now I'd better hop to it. I've arranged a couple of independent tours through our travel agent, but in Ketchikan we're going to do the Lumberjack show thru' the ship.

You're one of the reasons it pays to check CC from time to time.

Thanks for posting your question sgmburt. We booked our May Alaskan cruise months ago and once booked I haven't been checking the HAL site to see if prices and specific tours have been posted.

Since we're organizing for a family of 16 I realize now I'd better hop to it. I've arranged a couple of independent tours through our travel agent, but in Ketchikan we're going to do the Lumberjack show thru' the ship.

You're one of the reasons it pays to check CC from time to time.

We are newbies too and I have so many questions! I love to look at CC to see what everyone is saying.....it has been most helpful! I believe all the excursions are posted on HAL if you check. I just wasn't too sure about the independent operators and how that worked. Hope you all have as good a time as I am PLANNING on having! :) Happy New Year!

Sgmburt, have you considered joining the roll call section for your particular cruise? We're sailing on the Zuiderdam on the 22nd and it's not too active a roll call.

We're not experienced cruisers either -- one 30 day with HAL when we used their tours and a couple of others on Celebrity and NCL. Again using ship's tours.

But for this family celebration -- our 45th anniversary -- costs for tours were mounting so our TA suggested a private tour in both Juneau and Skagway. I'm a worry wart about time, but given that so many seem to book privately I'm optimistic.

The Skagway tour is with Frontier Tours -- not much cheaper than with HAL but we'll have our own mini bus -- probably a school bus -- and they'll work in gold panning and huskies.

In Juneau she's arranging with another company -- but we'll just be part of a big bus load.

And in Ketchican we're doing the Lumberjack show and tour with HAL.

As you can guess we haven't been able to afford all those expensive options but with 8 children I think we're being realistic.

Do consider joining the roll call and get a flavour of what others are doing.

Ruth

No problem with canceling excursions, I have done it many times on several cruises. As long as you make the change a few weeks prior to departure you should not have an issue. It sometimes takes several days for the credit to show on your credit card, but it will.

Have a great cruise!

Archived