No Baths - What else to do?

newlife_2010

Tortola is certainly not known much for the shopping. There are some fun little shops - I enjoy Sunny Carribee where you can get all kinds of spices. If you want to sample some authentic West Indies food at a good price try the Roti Palace. Pussers is fun too, although I like their other locations better than the one in Road Town. That is the place to get the dark rum (used in the famous local drink called the painkiller).

As for taxi tours, there will be plenty of taxis waiting when the ship docks. Just walk up and start asking for an island tour. Tell your driver what you want to see and you will get a custom tour lasting a few hours. Be sure to set your price up front. Your taxi driver should know the places to go if you want to avoid crowds.

Tortola is certainly not known much for the shopping. There are some fun little shops - I enjoy Sunny Carribee where you can get all kinds of spices. If you want to sample some authentic West Indies food at a good price try the Roti Palace. Pussers is fun too, although I like their other locations better than the one in Road Town. That is the place to get the dark rum (used in the famous local drink called the painkiller).

As for taxi tours, there will be plenty of taxis waiting when the ship docks. Just walk up and start asking for an island tour. Tell your driver what you want to see and you will get a custom tour lasting a few hours. Be sure to set your price up front. Your taxi driver should know the places to go if you want to avoid crowds.

Any help on a fair price to ask for?

I haven't done an island tour (usually when I use a taxi I am going somewhere specific) but I would expect to pay $15-20 pp for your own taxi. However, if you are by yourself, you will pay more - there is a minimum fee, about $45 if I remember correctly.

Any help on a fair price to ask for?

We just got back and when we went to Tortola we were going to goto the Bathes but the water was rough so we picked up a tour with Capt Friendly. It was 25 bucks for the two of us. It was 3 hours long. Went all over the island and to the beach for about 1/2hour. Yellow flags were up and we were getting sand blasted. We went to a botanical garden too.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I posted in another thread about things to do if the weather is bad and a beach day doesn't appeal. You might want to look for that thread. Also, I ran across a walking tour of Road Town that might be up your alley. Perhaps you can google and find it. I didn't save the address.

Personally, I think Tortola has a lot to see, so I'd take a tour. Road Town's ok, but seeing more of the island is better! And yes, the Baths are great, but Tortola's a pretty place and worth some time!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived