which stingray tour would you recommend??

creempuff0530

I know that this question has probably been asked many times....but I can't decide which stingray tour to book. I would like to go to the stingrays and a snorkel stop, and then go to seven mile beach afterward. Any recommendation as to which tour company would be the best to use?? I will be in port from 8-4. Thanks

Hi. You didn't mention when you were going. We've spent several weeks in Grand Cayman, (found it on our first cruise). We always go with Captain Dexter. He gets you there ahead of the crowds and knows just where to anchor the boat. We didn't keep his phone number on hand, and for some reason I am forgetting the name of the boat. (but he's in the phonebook), or you should be able to find something on the internet. typing in "Captain Dexter"

Can we wait to "book" one of the stingray tours when we get there? Or do they have to be booked in advance? Just not sure what we want to do when we arrive, and concerned about time (only in port from 7:30 am - 2:00 pm and we have to tender . . . )Help!:confused:

I'd do Nativeway also, but you might want to email several and see what can be worked out with your time constraints.

racegrrl, everyone will be tendering into Grand Cayman. And yes, there will be lots of stingray tours available at the tendering dock.

jmo

-Monte

We were just with Nativeway on Jan. 7 and they were great! Did Stingray City, snorkeling at the Coral Gardens and chose to take a bit of an island tour and saw the turtle farm and Hell. Great day, would love to go back.

madge62,

We are interested in the stringray city and land tour with Nativeway, how long were you on there boat and how long was the land tour? How many people were on the boat?? And did the boat make you seasick?? Sorry so many questions! Thanks!

We were just with Nativeway on Jan. 7 and they were great! Did Stingray City, snorkeling at the Coral Gardens and chose to take a bit of an island tour and saw the turtle farm and Hell. Great day, would love to go back.

MADGE62 - is that the Stingray city and land tour combo that you took?

madge62,

We are interested in the stringray city and land tour with Nativeway, how long were you on there boat and how long was the land tour? How many people were on the boat?? And did the boat make you seasick?? Sorry so many questions! Thanks!

We were on the boat at least a couple hrs (except when snorkeling and with the Rays). There were a total of 8 passengers on our boat, but I would guess it could hold in excess of 20. We didn't do the land tour but 4 people did, can't say how long it lasted. If you would email Nativeway, they would probably answer your questions.

-Monte

I recommend Captain Marven's 2 blocks from the dock . Nice boat ride .Frolic with stingrays and coral gardens . Brought us back to dock to get our tender . Nice people great fun with rays .Intimidating at first by their size but awesome creatures we petted carressed and played with .Felt like jello as they touched us . I actually picked one up my son fed one. Snorkelling great fun too-34$ per person

Michele

Hi there! Yes, we went with Nativeway. We were on the boat with a total of 40 of us I guess, enough room for a seat for everyone. Sheldon was the pilot of our boat. We were out at Stingray City for an hour and a quarter I belive, and then snorkeling for another hour. We hadn't booked the actual snorkelling portion but since we were with others who had, we went along but weren't charged extra ($40 each for the entire trip). I didn't get seasick myself but my sister was a little queasy from the boat when it was anchored and pitching about. Then our driver, Elton, took our party of 8 plus 2 others in a small bus to Hell, turtle farm, etc. I would definitely recommend Nativeway.

We chose Captain Bryan's because they use catamarans which are much more stable than regular boats. We had a great time! Our guide was really knowledgeable and friendly, and dropped us off wherever we wanted after the trip (some of us got dropped off at 7-mile Beach and the rest of us got dropped off downtown for shopping).

We went to Stingray City and the Coral Gardens (reef) and it was just great! I loved being in the water with the rays swimming around us. Our guide handfed a nurse shark and a moray eel in the reef!

The trip was $34 pp and we were able to add people at the last minute. They waited for us while we went to pick up yummy British pastries at the bakery in front of their pickup stand. We had a total of 19 people on the catamaran and it didn't feel crowded at all. We did the 10:30am tour and were back in town by 2:30pm.

I would love to go back to Stingray City on Captain Bryan's catamaran!

How crowded was it at the stingray site? I figure it is a huge attraction & am worried we will be bumping elbos with 100 others.

Also, did your tour give you squid or something to feed the rays? Someone mentioned on another message that they took a tour & it hardly lasted 1 hr at the site. They gave them a small amount of squid, but they did not get more & all the rays left when they ran out.

It wasn't crowded at all where we were. There were a lot of boats anchored in the same area, kind of in a semi-circle but everyone kept to their own areas. It was surprisingly shallow once we swam away from the boat. There were certainly enough stingrays for everyone to view or have one slide by them. Nativeway provided a small bucket of squid for us to feed the rays with, my sister did it but I wasn't brave enough! I did, however, have a stingray massage (Sheldon of Nativeway picked one up and lightly rubbed my back with it!). Can't wait to get my underwater camera photos back!

Does anyone know what time Nativeway offers their snorkeling excursions? It does not say on their website and I emailed them a few days ago but still have not heard anything.

Just know about the one that would fit my schedule and it is:

"

Greetings from Grand Cayman...and thanks for contacting us!

We have a 2.5 hour tour that goes to Stingray Sandbar and Coral Gardens. It departs the pier at 10:30 AM Eastern Time and completes at 1:15 PM Eastern. The price is $30 per person.

Let me know if you would like to reserve space.

Sharon Ebanks

"

All sound like fantastic tours, why so many different prices??? Are all the stingrays the same or do they go to different places? Are the boats the samne or are some "homemade" boats? We have looked at most of the tours listed here and all boats look different, showld we sail to see the stingrays or go on the cheapest tour available? Does it make a difference? HELP!!! It is time for bed here and can't see straight to search anymore but need to have something organized soon :eek: This is starting to feel like Christmas shopping :D

UK - From what I've seen, price depends on how much (or little) you want to do. Some of the snorkeling tours include stops at the coral reef in addition to Stingray City, and you may be able to add a land tour either before or after your snorkeling trip. I would look at the different companies listed here, decide what you're really interested in doing, and make your final decision based on the time your ship is in port. Remember that Grand Cayman is a tender port, so don't book a tour too early - or too late. Also keep in mind ship's time - the time specified in the companies' advertising material may differ from the time listed in your itinerary, and you need to take the time difference into account. Based on what we've read here, we booked Captain Bryan's Stingray City tour with the option of the turtle farm/he** land tour afterwards.

Hope this helps!

Archived