Keen to try Azamara Journey- advice?

bonni99

Hello,

My partner and I are very tempted to try a Caribbean voyage on the journey in March of this year. We have until this point been loyal Queen Mary 2 Cuanrd passengers but having just missed the Christmas cruise through weather problems and cancelled flights we are desperately keen to get to the Caribbean in the next few months.

For anyone who has experience of both it would be really useful if you could provide any comparisons/ benefits of the Azamara Journey. We are real foodies- and excellent food comes above a lot of other considerations for us. We are liking the idea of a smaller ship and would be interested to hear what any of you experienced Azamara passengers would say. We are 24 and 38 years old respectively from the UK.

Hello,

My partner and I are very tempted to try a Caribbean voyage on the journey in March of this year. We have until this point been loyal Queen Mary 2 Cuanrd passengers but having just missed the Christmas cruise through weather problems and cancelled flights we are desperately keen to get to the Caribbean in the next few months.

For anyone who has experience of both it would be really useful if you could provide any comparisons/ benefits of the Azamara Journey. We are real foodies- and excellent food comes above a lot of other considerations for us. We are liking the idea of a smaller ship and would be interested to hear what any of you experienced Azamara passengers would say. We are 24 and 38 years old respectively from the UK.

Azamara offers outstanding, friendly service, excellent food and the intimacy of a smaller ship. That being said, it may not be the right ship for you. I have cruised twice with Azamara, just booked our third -- and I can say that the passengers' average age seems to be 50+. I saw maybe two people in their twenties. However, I have not cruised to the Caribbean, so perhaps such a cruise attracts a different age group. If you want to take a cruise based on the itinerary and the advantages of a smaller ship -- go for it! On the other hand, if lively entertainment and the presence of others in your age group is important, than you might be happier looking elsewhere. (My son is 27, and I think he would be bored!) I hope this helps.

Azamara offers outstanding, friendly service, excellent food and the intimacy of a smaller ship. That being said, it may not be the right ship for you. I have cruised twice with Azamara, just booked our third -- and I can say that the passengers' average age seems to be 50+. I saw maybe two people in their twenties. However, I have not cruised to the Caribbean, so perhaps such a cruise attracts a different age group. If you want to take a cruise based on the itinerary and the advantages of a smaller ship -- go for it! On the other hand, if lively entertainment and the presence of others in your age group is important, than you might be happier looking elsewhere. (My son is 27, and I think he would be bored!) I hope this helps.

I am going on Azamara Journey in May and also had a concern with regards to my age as I am a young 41 years of age. However, I was assured that it would be no problem as the ages are older but the crowds are not the geriatric stick in the mud crowd you typically would anticipate. I think if you are not involved in the nightclub scene but more the cocktail and good food scene it should be okay. I loved Celebrity and there was a very mixed age group on that, but few young people in their 20's. I say give it a shot!

Hi Bonni99!

I'm 43, have done 18 cruises, 2 with Azamara in the last year, and have booked 2 more on the Journey for 2010!

I agree with Wookeef that while older, the passenger mix is more 'active' than on other cruiselines. I've always felt very comfortable in that mix as most passengers are more 'travelers' than 'cruisers' which makes for interesting encounters and conversations!

Food is definitely a strong suite for Azamara, so if that is important for you, you should be happy! Of course, entertainement is not as 'grand' as it would be on larger ship but I still think that Azamara does very well!

The smaller ship has a very different ambiance than other ships - after a few days, you feel like you know everyone, including the staff who are all very approachable and friendly!

I would definitely give it a try... a cruise in the Caribbean in the midst of winter can't be so bad after all!!!

MC

The two ships are not really comparable.

Azamara will be smaller and more intimate. Dinner will not be as formal in presentation or atmosphere.

However, food choices are very impressive and quality will not disappoint even if you are foodies. Try having dinner at Breeza where you can enjoy wonderful, even healthy food choices while watching the sunset to the sights and sounds of the ship sailing through the water. There is nothing really like it on the Queen's.

Azamara vessels, for us, are the ultimate warm weather ships.

Smooth sailing...

Woops! I noticed I entered my age as 24 when it should read 34- wishful thinking perhaps! Thank you all for your comments- both my partner and I much prefer the company of older passengers and good food in a slightly less formal atmosphere sounds ideal for us- we really aren't party animals- but a couple of drinks, a lovely meal and maybe a low key singer or piano music sounds just right!

Woops! I noticed I entered my age as 24 when it should read 34- wishful thinking perhaps! Thank you all for your comments- both my partner and I much prefer the company of older passengers and good food in a slightly less formal atmosphere sounds ideal for us- we really aren't party animals- but a couple of drinks, a lovely meal and maybe a low key singer or piano music sounds just right!

Hi Bonni99 !

From what you described above, Azamara should be a perfect fit for you. We enjoyed the outstanding food and service, the smaller size of Azamara's ships, and not having formal nights. Also, the limited smoking areas (for us) was a plus.

If you have a chance, try the Specialty Restaurants. Aqualina and Prime C are outstanding, and should not be missed. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Enjoy your Cruise !

Hello,

We are mid-30s and very much enjoyed Azamara. Haven't tried Cunard, as we perceived it as very class-oriented (Queens Grill, Princess Grill, Brittania, etc).

Fellow passengers on Azamara were very enjoyable. Certainly they skew older, as you might expect on any higher end, longer voyage.

Have a great time!

Archived