Belize was Scary!

Keri23

Just got home from Christmas on NCL's Jewel. Belize was our second stop. I have been to many rough places & NEVER felt scared or threatened, but Belize was a 10 stepper! 10 steps in & 10 steps back to the port! Once you get away from the port there are about 60 very aggressive people trying to sell you tours. There were 4 of us walking together, 2 women & 2 men the guys are over 6' feet tall. My family is a bunch of big corn fed Hoosiers and these people scared all of us. They just wouldnt leave us alone. Even when we said 'no' they followed us & kept barking! :eek:

Once we got back to the port we went on a snokel tour with some company in Yellow shirts. They said it would take 15 minutes to get to the private island- it takes 30. 15 minutes back to the port.

Snoreling was a waste of time & money. The area was distroyed. Very few live coral left. Very few fish. However, we did see 2 sting rays.

We loved everything else on the cruise! we loved Costa Maya & Roatan where we went ziplining. We are NOT hard to please! But we will not go back to Belize.

What island did u visit? We have an excursion booked thru coral breezes where we go to caye caulker & 1/2 of us then go deep sea fishing and the other 1/2 go snorkeling to coral gardens and stingray alley. Is that what u did?

We went right into Belize City. I think that since you are part of a tour you will be ok. Just dont venture out alone!!!

Not to worry about going anywhere with Coral Breeze.

We have snorkeled with them about a dozen times, as recently as 11/09, & have never had a bad trip.

You are super fine with Coral Breeze !

As for downtown Belize, walking used to be for us but having tried it recently we now choose not to go outside of the port area. I'd think the locals there would wise up & not hassle tourist as that is where they could make their money.

More & more Belize reminds us of Jamaica where we will never go again or go on any cruise ship that stops there.

Enjoy CB & the local lunch on Caye Caulker.

Bill in FL

So my husband and I have decided to stay on the ship for Belize but daughter and sis-in-law want to take a Carnival excursion to the zoo. Should I be concerned about their safety and is it even worth it?

We have been 3 times and each time we head right out the gates and into town. We find the most offensive part of Belize to be the fenced "duty free" area where the scared cruisers shop at the same diamonds and T-shirt shops that are in every port. The only way we enjoy to travel is to explore your destinations not sit at a bar in a safe carbon copy location. We have enjoyed exploring the city and have found that once you get past the hawkers trying to sell you everything, similar to Miami's taxi drivers or anywhere on Canal street in New York you find the people of Belize to be friendly, funny and amazing. My vote, disband the fenced in area, let the locals in (since it is their country) and visitors should ......gee I don't know..... actually visit the place. btw if you are heading there, visit Brodies in downtown across the bridge. Great supermarket/general store with a great range of fruit wines and wonderful chocolates. Heading back there in April on the jewel and cannot wait.

Well I was in Belize last week. Had a nice time cave tubing and eating at a small bar. The fun stopped there. On the way back to the ship two men on the side of the road shot at our van. We were very fortunate no one was hurt. I'm done with Belize.

Well I was in Belize last week. Had a nice time cave tubing and eating at a small bar. The fun stopped there. On the way back to the ship two men on the side of the road shot at our van. We were very fortunate no one was hurt. I'm done with Belize.

Seriously? What ship and date - this must be news somewhere other than here......

:eek: OMG!

Oh GEEZ I am nervous enough about Belize as it is. The van was SHOT at??? Was this a cruise ship sponsored excursion? We have Lamani booked through RCI mid Jan and I am wondering if this is the best idea.

When you take a tour like this....where do they meet you? Is it inside or outside this fence and are you safe boarding the vehicle etc?

I found this info....I thought that it was kind of helpful....

http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Belize/Basics

The Basics

Time: Local time is GMT -6.

Electricity: Electrical current is 110/220 volts, 60Hz. Flat blades with round grounding pin or rectangular blade plugs are used. Most of the electricity is provided by Diesel/Generator Sets.

Language: English is the official language and the one most commonly spoken, but you will hear Creole, Spanish, Garifuna and Mayan as well.

Travel Health: There have been reports of confirmed human cases of Swine Flu in Mexico, which shares a border with Belize. No vaccinations are required for entry to Belize. Travellers arriving from a yellow-fever infected area require a vaccination certificate. Cases of dengue fever have occurred, and seem to be on the increase, so insect repellent is strongly advised. Malaria prevention is recommended for those travelling outside Belize City. Potable water is available in most areas of Belize but it is advisable, if in doubt, to drink bottled or boiled water. Medical facilities are poor in the city, and almost non-existent elsewhere. Cases of severe illness or injury usually require expensive medical evacuation. Adequate medical insurance is therefore vital. For divers there is a hyperbaric chamber at Ambergris Caye.

Tipping: Tipping in Belize is voluntary but as in any country, good services should be rewarded with a 10% tip. Upscale hotels and resorts may add a 10% service charge to guests' bills and this usually goes to the porter and maid who assisted you. Tour guides should be tipped a few extra dollars for their effort and taxi drivers should be tipped only if they help carry your bags or take you on a guided tour.

Safety Information: Although most visits to Belize are trouble-free, there have been incidents of tourists falling victim to violent crime. Mugging is frequent in Belize City, and in November 2005 an American tourist was murdered in the Toledo district. A resort near Belmopan, popular with foreigners, was attacked by armed robbers in February 2006, and in May 2006 a group of tourists were held up at gunpoint; one man was shot and two women were sexually assaulted. Visitors should take sensible precautions to minimise the risks. These would include not wearing expensive jewellery, keeping valuables out of sight, staying in groups, avoiding dark alleys and not walking alone on the beach at night. It is also advisable to use qualified guides for exploratory trips off the beaten track. The country is prone to hurricanes between June and November; on 21 August 2007 Hurricane Dean caused severe damage to the northern Belize coast, particularly the regions of Corozal and OrangeWalk.

Local Customs: Homosexuality is illegal and considered to be socially unacceptable.

Business: Belize has a fairly informal business style, although punctuality and politeness are appreciated. Handshaking, the exchanging of business cards and some small talk is expected before getting down to business. Dress is usually casual, but neat, with men in short-sleeved, collared shirts without a tie; however government-related business is more formal. Business hours are usually 8am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Communications: The international dialling code for Belize is +501. The outgoing code is 00 followed by the relevant country code (e.g. 0044 for the United Kingdom). The area code for Belize City is (0)2. International Direct Dialling is available. Mobile telephone coverage is available throughout most of the country with the Belize Telemedia Ltd GSM 1900 network, and cellphone rental is available. There are two Internet service providers in Belize, with Internet cafes in urban centres and tourist areas. Postal services are reliable.

Duty Free: Travellers over 18 years do no have to pay customs duty on 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or 250g tobacco; wines or spirits not exceeding one litre and personal goods or souvenirs to the value of BZ$200. Restricted items include plants, meat and meat products, live animals and processed food items.

I found this info....I thought that it was kind of helpful....

http://www.wordtravels.com/Travelguide/Countries/Belize/Basics

The Basics

Time: Local time is GMT -6.

Electricity: Electrical current is 110/220 volts, 60Hz. Flat blades with round grounding pin or rectangular blade plugs are used. Most of the electricity is provided by Diesel/Generator Sets.

Language: English is the official language and the one most commonly spoken, but you will hear Creole, Spanish, Garifuna and Mayan as well.

Travel Health: There have been reports of confirmed human cases of Swine Flu in Mexico, which shares a border with Belize. No vaccinations are required for entry to Belize. Travellers arriving from a yellow-fever infected area require a vaccination certificate. Cases of dengue fever have occurred, and seem to be on the increase, so insect repellent is strongly advised. Malaria prevention is recommended for those travelling outside Belize City. Potable water is available in most areas of Belize but it is advisable, if in doubt, to drink bottled or boiled water. Medical facilities are poor in the city, and almost non-existent elsewhere. Cases of severe illness or injury usually require expensive medical evacuation. Adequate medical insurance is therefore vital. For divers there is a hyperbaric chamber at Ambergris Caye.

Tipping: Tipping in Belize is voluntary but as in any country, good services should be rewarded with a 10% tip. Upscale hotels and resorts may add a 10% service charge to guests' bills and this usually goes to the porter and maid who assisted you. Tour guides should be tipped a few extra dollars for their effort and taxi drivers should be tipped only if they help carry your bags or take you on a guided tour.

Safety Information: Although most visits to Belize are trouble-free, there have been incidents of tourists falling victim to violent crime. Mugging is frequent in Belize City, and in November 2005 an American tourist was murdered in the Toledo district. A resort near Belmopan, popular with foreigners, was attacked by armed robbers in February 2006, and in May 2006 a group of tourists were held up at gunpoint; one man was shot and two women were sexually assaulted. Visitors should take sensible precautions to minimise the risks. These would include not wearing expensive jewellery, keeping valuables out of sight, staying in groups, avoiding dark alleys and not walking alone on the beach at night. It is also advisable to use qualified guides for exploratory trips off the beaten track. The country is prone to hurricanes between June and November; on 21 August 2007 Hurricane Dean caused severe damage to the northern Belize coast, particularly the regions of Corozal and OrangeWalk.

Local Customs: Homosexuality is illegal and considered to be socially unacceptable.

Business: Belize has a fairly informal business style, although punctuality and politeness are appreciated. Handshaking, the exchanging of business cards and some small talk is expected before getting down to business. Dress is usually casual, but neat, with men in short-sleeved, collared shirts without a tie; however government-related business is more formal. Business hours are usually 8am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm Monday to Friday.

Communications: The international dialling code for Belize is +501. The outgoing code is 00 followed by the relevant country code (e.g. 0044 for the United Kingdom). The area code for Belize City is (0)2. International Direct Dialling is available. Mobile telephone coverage is available throughout most of the country with the Belize Telemedia Ltd GSM 1900 network, and cellphone rental is available. There are two Internet service providers in Belize, with Internet cafes in urban centres and tourist areas. Postal services are reliable.

Duty Free: Travellers over 18 years do no have to pay customs duty on 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars or 250g tobacco; wines or spirits not exceeding one litre and personal goods or souvenirs to the value of BZ$200. Restricted items include plants, meat and meat products, live animals and processed food items.

Alot of this is just common sense when travelling ANYWHERE. I doubt these gunmen, or whoever they were, could see inside the van from the roadside to know whether the people inside were wearing expensive jewlery. They likely knew it was a tour with ship pax and figured the chances were high that they would have cameras or cash etc on them.

When I read this post, I emailed Major Tom. We will be in Belize 1/21/10 and will be cave-tubing with Major Tom. Here is his response:

Hi Bob and Eileen,

We have a sad and disheartened person messing around on the web. This does happen.

About a year ago, some fool operator from one of the islands upset the daylights out of another operator in public (terrible open insults about what he was doing to the man's wife!!!!!), and the following day, a shotgun blast hit the offending guy's van in the front while he was driving away down the road from one of the sites.

This was no robbery attempt or anything like that, and the end result was the destruction of the offending operator's business - he simply went down.

Police were on to it like a shot (pardon the pun) and the matter was quickly cleared up as a personal vendetta.

Other than that, all is safe and sound, and our police and army patrols are good on the ground. People feel totally safe all around.

You might want to remember that I am a well known reserve army major with high security background, including being a Justice of the Peace and a Commissioner of the Supreme Court. Those go well in our country for safety and security.

See you soon, in Beautiful Belize.

Major Tom

P.S. : Happy and Prosperous New Year 2010.

I'm not sure what to think. He didn't say anything about an incident in December. When we went to the Mediterranean and visited the Pyramids there were armed guards on each tour bus. So I guess this is something we must deal with if we wish to travel. I can't imagine security would be any worse in Belize than it was in Egypt. If anyone else gets additional information, please post. As for now, we will be cave-tubing on 1/21!

In Feb 08 I took the cave-tubing tour with Major Tom. At no point was I nervous about that excursion. We were there the day before their general election and there were crowds of people protesting in town and blocking roads and many, many armed police/militia whatever they were. We were as safe as we could possibly be.

Last month I took a tour to Xunantunich (the ruins) 2 hours from port. Again, we passed through maybe 3 police checkpoints and there were armed military? at the ruins site. Never felt they were doing more than their job and never felt unsafe.

In May 09 we were re-routed from Honduras and given a day in Belize instead. Having no plans and with it being a little rainy and overcast we just stayed in the port area. Anyway near the back section along the fence, you felt like someone was trying to make a drug deal with you. they were calling you over and yelling things. This was most uncomfortable and annoying, but really not unsafe. however, I would guess if you just walked outside the gated area and this was the treatment you received repeatedly, it would be unsettling.

I guess my point is be safe, don't just wander without purpose, but don't miss out on a wonderful day in a very beautiful country. Get out of Belize City with a reputable tour guide and enjoy your day.

There is absolutely nothing outside of the port, so I don't recommend venturing out. We used Action Boys Belize in November for a zip lining and Alta Ha ruins combo tour and felt safe and secure.

Just use a local tour company or the ship's tours if you want to explore Belize. Everything is a far distance from the port, and nothing is really outside of the gates of the port as I stated before.

I've been to Belize twice and if you have a plan it can be quite nice. This is not a port to just wander around on your own. I did ship sponsored tours both times because the tendering process is time consuming. There is plenty of nice sights outside Belize City that are worth seeing. I never felt unsafe, but I prefer tours here.

Wow, some interesting feedback from everyone about the shooting. Here's what happened. We had a great day of tubing with Dennis Perez. We were in a regular van, just 6 of us. On the way back from cave tubing we stopped for lunch. This was great too. While driving back to the port is when the shooting occurred. This was a random act and no one could have stopped it. Not Major Tom, no one. Our driver swerved but kept driving, obviously shaken, but did not want to stop. Maybe these thugs wanted us to pull over, but I'm glad we sped off. All I could say is we were lucky. This could have happened to anyone. I have cruised many times and have gone on many private tours. The 2 islands Roatan, and Belize did no feel safe at all. That is my personal opinion. We were on the NCL Jewel X'Mas week. So that's the story no more no less.

Wow, some interesting feedback from everyone about the shooting. Here's what happened. We had a great day of tubing with Dennis Perez. We were in a regular van, just 6 of us. On the way back from cave tubing we stopped for lunch. This was great too. While driving back to the port is when the shooting occurred. This was a random act and no one could have stopped it. Not Major Tom, no one. Our driver swerved but kept driving, obviously shaken, but did not want to stop. Maybe these thugs wanted us to pull over, but I'm glad we sped off. All I could say is we were lucky. This could have happened to anyone. I have cruised many times and have gone on many private tours. The 2 islands Roatan, and Belize did no feel safe at all. That is my personal opinion. We were on the NCL Jewel X'Mas week. So that's the story no more no less.

Thanks for the straight facts Maureen. Random shootings occur in the USA as well. Thanks be that no one was hurt. As I mentioned earlier, we'll be cave tubing in Belize soon!

Archived