kids programs

Margarita1time

My daughter has been on four cruises: 2 RCI and 2 NCL. She has enjoyed the kids' program on both lines but gives the edge to NCL because it's available more hours (she would stay there the whole week if that was offered) and says RCI is too programmed and she likes time to just hang out with her new cruise friends. She also likes that NCL takes the kids to age-appropriate shows in the evening, which definitely beats going with her parents. She is now 11 and her next cruise is on NCL next month.

My teenage son has done three cruises: 2 RCI and one NCL (on an older ship, the Dream) and definitely preferred RCI because he liked the Promenade and set dining time. My daughter likes Freestyle because she hates sitting for long dinner services with strangers and wants to get going to the Kids Crew.

My 3 boys ages 9-13 have only done 2 Carnival cruises and love the kids programs. My nephew age 13 has done both RCCL and Carnival. He prefers Carnival. He has basically talked my boys out of wanting to try RCCL. He liked the staff and activities more with carnival. He also said that more kids attended with Carnival. All his cruises were taken while school was in session, same length,and similar ittinerary.

I have not rulled out RCCL for our next family cruise. DW and I have cruised them twice and had great cruises. However, I know if I take a poll my 3 boys vote Carnival.

For our multigenerational family cruises ( ages 8-80) including kids (8,10,11,13,17,18,19) we used RCL twice. EVERYONE enjoyed it. I guess it depends on ages, what kind of bells and whistles the kids enjoy on the ship, if they just want to hang out with kids their age or be in some organized group etc. But I would definitely go with RCL again.

A couple of questions: What ages are your children, what are their interests, and what is important to the parents/adults on the ship?

Which cruise line or ship kids program is "best" varies by individual preferences and tastes. IMO, parents should also base their cruise planning around what they enjoy and not only what their children like best. There should be room for both what the children enjoy and what the adults prefer.

With that in mind and just generally:

RCI, NCL, Carnival, and Disney have substantial kids programs with a wide variety of activities, as well as many "kid friendly" non-kids-program options onboard. OTOH, RCI's program starts at age 3 and all children must be fully potty trained, needing no help at all. There are no exceptions for age or the potty training rules. So even though RCI's kids program is considered wonderful, it might not be the best choice for parents with very young children who want their children to participate in the program. Whereas, Disney has a nursery for infants and has substantial childrens programming based on Disney-ness. That would be great for families who are into Disney and similar things, but not for those who are not.

HAL, Celebrity, and Princess also have good reputations with their childrens programs, but they are reported to be a bit more laid back with less "entertain the children every minute" than the ones I mentioned above. For families with children who need (or who have parents who think they need) constant stimulation, these cruise lines might not be the best choice. For families with children who enjoy spending a tad less "go, go, go" and a bit more "think about creative things to do in a slightly slower pace," they might be perfect.

Also consider that itinerary should be part of the equation. Where do you want to go, what do you want to see, and what do you want to do ashore as a family? You might find a ship with a very good (but not completely perfect for you) kids program that has the ideal itinerary, fare, and timing. In that case, you might compromise and go for "very good childrens program with other enjoyable onboard activities and the perfect port stops" over "the absolute best fit childrens program with only okay activities for the adults and port stops that aren't exactly what you had in mind."

I don't know your childrens ages, but if you have any who are younger than 2 or 3 and/or who are not potty trained, you'll need to carefully research which cruise lines have childrens programs that your children would be able to participate in. (A small note just in case you need to know: On all but a few ships, non potty trained children are not allowed in any of the ship pools due to health regulations.)

I hope you find just the right fit for your whole family and that you have a wonderful time.

beachchick

Archived