Diving in KEY WEST

Does anyone know of a dive shop in Key west to use. I am going to key west in january and was wondering, has anyone dove in Key West? We leave at 2 pm so I was wondering if it could even be done? Thanks

I've dove out of KW many times since 1978 but have never found any shop to be so memorable as to warrant my recommendation.

Actually I've never found a dive out of KW to warrant my recommendation. But my work dropped me there for R&R with a couple of days to kill and diving often helped (same in Jamacia, DomRep, and several other Carib destinatins)

KW is SUCH a quick turn over tourist spot that expecting quality service is perhaps mis directed.

There are places in the upper Keys that I've used often and would recommend and have heard good things of folks around Looe Key (a bit north of KW)

listed in order from closest to cruise ship pier:

southpoint

captain's corner

lost reef

subtropic

dive key west

i would not recommend the last two for diving off a cruise ship, simply for time constraints, no other reason. subtropics boats are slower than the other companies and they have an extra 30 min trip through a no-wake zone added on to each side of the trip. you would have to take a taxi to dkw and once there you will take their shuttle up to next island (stock island) where their boat departs from.

current prices for other 3: southpoint is highest, then captains corner and lost reef is lowest, but you will have to walk farther away from the ship to get cheaper.

as far as not having memorable dives, kw has the newly sunk vandenberg, 2nd longest artificial reef in the world. the marine life that has flourished since it's sinking last may is incredible. the viz has been between 30ft-150+, even over the winter. due to the depth and occasional strong currents it is an advanced level cert or higher dive.

the reefs can be excellent when the visibility is good. very good chances of seeing nurse sharks, sting rays, morays and even turtles this time of year. the coral is nothing to get excited about, most of the caribbean is much prettier, but the marine life and fish populations are great.

hope this helps:)

A bonus of Lost Reef is that it is cater-corner to the Key West Bait & Tackel Shop, home of the Live Bait Lounge ("If your wife is driving you to drink, have her drop you off here") A true locals place.

http://www.keywestbaitandtackle.com/

IIRC Southpoint may be hard to find, not that it's far away or hidden, it's at the dock at the Hyatt Hotel on Front Street. You have to walk through the entrance of the hotel to get to their boat.

Pjk

I dove with Southpoint, 2 years ago. It was a pre-cruise trip to the keys.

Their marina is at the Hyatt hotel, easy walking distance from the port. Large boat, decent op.

We didn't go to the wreck. The diving we went was nothing special. Similar to Veradero Cuba. But Americans don't know Cuba. Not a lot of fish or coral growth. Decent viz, and warm water. That's about it. There are many other much better diving spots in the keys and in the Caribbeans.

Archived