What is there to do/see in Totola?

bgg

We've never been to Tortola. What is there to see/do? Please explain exactly what are "The Baths"? We have in our 60's - very active although my husband has had a hip replacement & open heart surgery. He's pretty amazing all things considering. We live on the water and are boating people. Can anyone give us input? Thanks.

We've never been to Tortola. What is there to see/do? Please explain exactly what are "The Baths"? We have in our 60's - very active although my husband has had a hip replacement & open heart surgery. He's pretty amazing all things considering. We live on the water and are boating people. Can anyone give us input? Thanks.

Hi bgg.... I was wondering the same thing. We are going to stop in Tortola in April so I was googling The Baths... found some really pretty pictures here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/patouche__extreme_machine.htm

The Baths is a beach on Virgin Gorda with a collection of huge boulders. The boulders on the left side on the beach are so close together that they form an amazing but slippery, narrow, cave-like trail under, over and between the boulders along the shore. This is what you usually see in pictures. Its a beautiful, unique beach that is well worth seeing. Many of the cruise excursions go there but is equally easy to take the ferry (Smiths or Speedys) from Tortola to Virgin Gorda; the ferry dock being a short walk from the cruise dock. Upon arriving on Virgin Gorda you will find plenty of friendly taxis just waiting to take you to the Baths. It is a short hike down the hill to The Baths where you will find lockers, a rest room, shower, shade trees, a few roosters and a snack bar on the beach. Water shoe/sandals are a really good idea here. Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a jeep and drove around the island. There's a road (Ridge Road) that leads up to the top of a small mountain, with various viewpoints and things to see, plus a few other roads around the exterior of the island (e.g., one going west to West End). I wouldn't really recommend driving (roads aren't well marked, so it's confusing, drive on left, plus the local Hertz dealer disappointed us) but if there's a tour offered, I would say it is probably worth it to see a little of the island. We went to Pussers Landing (West End - boaters like it - pretty, with food, shopping, etc.), Skyworld, Fahie Mural on Ridge Road, past Bomba's Shack (supposedly a wild place on full moon parties - but really just a ramshackle shack by day!), past beaches, past St. Barnabas church, and had lunch at a KFC (actually pretty good!) near the airport. We had planned to do more, but the rain on the mountain, the confusing roads, and the fact that we had a flat tire resulted in a shorter than planned day. You can take a look at my pictures here to see some of the things we saw: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123 Note there are two Caribbean galleries there, with pictures of Tortola and VG in both.

As someone else stated, Tortola's a bit relaxing rather than built up, and not as tourist attraction rich as some other islands like Antigua. However, I'd say it's a worthwhile place to visit - and to do more than just walk around the town when you dock. Then again, the Baths in VG were pretty amazing, too, so if I had to pick whether to do the Baths or Tortola again, it would be hard for me to decide. Our cruise line, fortunately, spent a day in both locations, so I didn't have to pick!

bgg, your husband should be fine at the Baths, but on Devils Bay, if there's a big red flag flying, be careful in the water. We had a yellow flag, and someone got hurt from our ship - tossed around in the water and ended up with an ankle injury that left her in a wheelchair for the rest of the cruise! But if you guys are boaters, you probably will figure out what that flag means....she didn't!

• 2 weeks later...

We got off our ship and headed outside the fenced in area where we found several "jitney" type of open air busses. We went with one and had a nice 3 hour tour of the island with stops for photos and refreshments.

Ours was "pay at the end". I heard another tourist complain that they got a one way ride to the top of the mountain, and were forced to pay a taxi to get back. Beware, don't pay until you are back where you started.

Mark

If anyone's interested, local artists have painted a long mural on Ridge Road in Tortola. I believe it's the part of Ridge Road that passes Fahie Hill, but the locals can point you in the right direction if you want to see it. (You'll need a car or to take a tour, however - Ridge Road is NOT within walking distance of Road Town where the cruise ships dock). Anyway, I found the mural quite interesting. There's a video of it here:

Archived