Tell me about Sailaway

Sailaway is one of my least favorite parts of a cruise. Everyone's jammed together up on deck, and it just isn't much fun. IF I don't have a balcony, I like to be far forward or far aft away from the crowds. The helicoptor pad is a pretty good place to be.

The two most memorable moments for me on cruises are 1) pulling up to the port in the cab looking at the massive ship and all the anticipation that goes on when checking in. I LOVE IT! and 2) having cocktails on the Lido deck while waiting to set sail. The energy is amazing. Everyone is so happen and excited and its just so addicting. I wouldn't miss it for the world. And this this is your first cruise, I would say with even more confidence that you shouldn't miss it. Join in the festivities and go back to your room later if its not what you expected.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Does anyone know what the sailaway atmosphere is like if you leave at night? Our sailaway is at 8.30pm.

Sailaway at night from SanJuan is awesome! There is a steel-drum band on the pool deck, people dancing, lots of excitement. We usually head up to deck 12--one deck above the pool deck, from there you can see the port as you pull away, and still be part of the party below. And don't forget the obligatory foo-foo drink :D Great way to get in the tropical state of mind! Save the champagne for later that night when you are alone on your balcony;)

DH and I regularly order a bottle of bubbly specifically for sail away. We grab our bottle and glasses and head up on deck to watch the world fade away. Probably our favorite thing to do (thus my picture!) :D Obviously we are careful about where we go with the glass.

On our Majesty B2B, we were given a champagne bucket for consecutive cruises, so we took the bucket, champagne and all to the back of the ship on deck 8 I think it was and had a private sailaway, no one else thought to go there, we pulled chairs up there too...we could hear the band playing from up on pool deck and people on the Norwegian ship back to our back waved good bye to us as we turned in the Miami basin. There are all sorts of private areas to explore on any ship, make it a game, if you're first time though, you better experience the excitement of the pool deck:DI made a mimosa out of my champagne

2m4yr1h.jpg

We always order champagne and have done sailaway different ways. We've poured a glass and taken it up on deck to watch the sailaway when we had an interior cabin and balcony cabin. We've also just enjoyed the champagne and watched from our balcony when we could see the people on shore as we left port. Just don't stay inside and miss it.

Our last cruise was the first one where we actually experienced sailaway. I had so much fun dancing with DH we ended up being out until about 1am! I never even realized what time it was! :eek: Our previous 2 we were eating!

We are sailing out of San Juan again on the AOS in April and I won't be eating - I'll be on deck with my kids complete with mojito in hand! I did get champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, but we can enjoy those before and/or after sailaway.

Archived