water levels.....when is this a problem?

bethaniesmom

have been looking at German river cruises for september-november 2005 with a few extra days in Frankfurt to visit my son in the air force....have heard many people mention problems with low water levels...can anyone tell me when that is most likely to be a problem...summer? fall? spring?

thanks!

Beverly

Hi Beverly,

We took a river cruise from Antwerp to Basel in late September of last year. Prior to going there was concern expressed about low water levels. During the trip we had not a single problem with low water --- but that is not to say that it doesn't occur.

In the Spring there is occasionally a problem with high water that causes problems with some of the ships getting under low bridges. You just never know as far in advance as you must make reservations.

I would just go ahead with your plans and whatever will be, will be. It is a wonderful experience on the river and I am sure you will enjoy it. I wrote a detailed diary that is posted below under Antwerp to Basel on the River Harmony. Probably more than you want to know! Clarence:)

Archived