Rosario Island Tour

brooklintee

We will be in Cartagena in March on Celebrity and are considering taking the Rosario Island Tour. I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has either taken this tour or has been to these islands. We will be travelling with a fairly large group that includes kids, and we are trying to decide on this tour or a tour of the city (not sure what would be better for the kids.)

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I've never been to the Rosario Islands, but am planning to go there on my cruise in March. I work with someone from Colombia and asked him to read the list of offered shore excursions. He said that the boat ride to the islands would be fun and that it is beautiful there. I did the city tour the last time I was in Colombia I thought it was very interesting but I'm not sure that it would be enjoyable for kids - would probably depend on their ages.

• 1 month later...

Just back from a Panama Canal cruise. I loved the Rosario islands. We took a speed boat out to the islands and stopped at a national park for a shark and dolphin show. We went on to the island for some beach time and lunch. The beach was beautiful but very small. They had juice and fruit for us when we got there. Our lunch included fried fish (delicious!), coconut rice, plantain chips, and some dessert. My only complaint is that we weren't on the island long enough. I was only able to swim for a short time before lunch. After lunch we headed back to the ship. I enjoyed it and would do this excursion again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sounds much like the tour to the Rosario Island I took. Our boat was a 42ft speedboat which carried 46 passengers plus 3 crew. It was crowded!

It is about a 45 minute ride at high speed to reach the Rosario Islands form Cartagena. Our tour pulled in for a beach stop at Isla Grande (the largest of the Rosario Islands) and also took us to the Oceanarium.

You'll pass by some tiny islands - so small that a single house covers the entire island.

• 1 month later...
Just back from a Panama Canal cruise. I loved the Rosario islands. We took a speed boat out to the islands and stopped at a national park for a shark and dolphin show. We went on to the island for some beach time and lunch. The beach was beautiful but very small. They had juice and fruit for us when we got there. Our lunch included fried fish (delicious!), coconut rice, plantain chips, and some dessert. My only complaint is that we weren't on the island long enough. I was only able to swim for a short time before lunch. After lunch we headed back to the ship. I enjoyed it and would do this excursion again.

What was the shark and dolphin show like? I've seen dolphin shows at Sea World many times, but never anything with sharks.

• 1 year later...

A guy gets onto a floating platform with a bucket full of fish, knocks on the platform and a bunch of nurse tail sharks, slither up onto the platform and take the little fishies from him. It's an interesting act. Dolphin is jumping high wires, waving posterior fins in air, skimming on posterior fin and waving good-bye.

It's cute and the lunch is great (those who had the chicken seemed to be happier than those who had the fried king mackerel).

Fair warning, it is extremely hot and humid in Cartagena, the oceanarium is out in the sun and not air conditioned and the boat presents a great deal of difficulty for those who have any mid-back or below skeletal/joint issues.

Otherwise, a very fun tour.

Archived