anyone on Voyager FLL to Funchal 4/23?

gmon6612

We're in a Cat C on Deck 9....Here's hoping the vibration issue discussed in previous threads doesn't turn out to be a big deal!

Any thoughts on air service back to the US? It appears that you pretty much have to use TAP via Lisbon to somewhere else. Looks like a grueling trip if you do it one day.

Hi,

We're on the cruise immediately following yours, boarding in Funchal on May 1. Too bad you're not continuing on with us to Rome! It certainly is easier to get home from Rome than from Funchal.

Yes, it seems that travel to/from Funchal is a major hassel any way you slice it. You will definitely have to fly into another city, and it'll probably have to be TAP Air Portugal. It's not always Lisbon, though -- we're flying into Funchal connecting in Paris, and there are others connecting in London or Zurich. But whatever you do, do NOT get a connection in Paris! You will fly into Orly, and out of CDG, and you will be responsible for transporting you and your luggage from Orly to CDG, more than an hour away. We're faced with that for our flight out there. Ugh.

You can purchase a ticket online, but you should know that many travel websites won't sell airline tickets that don't originate in the US. Travelocity does, Cheaptickets.com does...you'd have to check others. In fact, I just did a quick look in Cheaptickets, and they have what looks like a great option, for only $562!! Check this out:

Depart Sun., May 1 Air Portugal 390 Non-Stop

Air Portugal Depart 12:10 pm Arrive 3:35 pm

Funchal (FNC) London (LHR) Airbus Industrie A321

Coach

>> Connection: Ground Time: 2 hr 55 min

Sun., May 1 American 107 Non-Stop

American Depart 6:30 pm Arrive 9:05 pm

London (LHR) New York (JFK) Boeing 777

Coach

>> Connection: Ground Time: 1 hr 30 min

Sun., May 1 American 4761 Non-Stop

American Depart 10:35 pm Arrive 11:43 pm

New York (JFK) Washington (DCA) Embraer RJ135

Coach

Total Travel Time: 16 hrs 33 mins

Good luck!

LeeAnne

Yes, if booked through RSSC you will probably be booked on TAP, which is not a bad airline. If you are going straight from the ship to the airport be aware that Madeira often inflicts extremely slow clearance on cruises, even when the majority of passengers are either flying out the same day or continuing on the ship. I've seen mad, stressful rushes to the airport. Plus Madeira is a delightful destination and worth spending a couple of days.

If you stay on the island, completing the trip home in one day usually means an early bird flight out of Funchal with a connection in Lisbon. RSSC usually uses the Maderia Palacio, and they have a tight system in place to get you to the airport in time. Since you leave before room service starts, they'll provide you a thermos of coffee and breakfast rolls the night before. If you're an early riser, you won't mind. If, like me, a trip to the airport before sunrise is a cruel and unusual punishment, it'll probably take two days. We usually take an afternoon flight from Madeira, spend a leisurely night at the Radisson near the airport in Lisbon, and fly out the next day, connecting in Newark.

We prefer to fly direct to Gatwick, then a next-day nonstop to Houston, but that itinerary is usually a lot more expensive. Same with Amsterdam or Paris (watch for that airport change!). If you can fly through Oporto, even spending a night there, it's an easier trip. You can usually check your bags all the way through avoiding the slow baggage reclaim. However, be aware that BA and KLM are very restrictive on carry-ons. BA wouldn't even let hubby take his 19" roller board, and both hassle me about my CPAP machine, which is consiered medical equipment. TAP is more liberal, making it easier to overnight with just a carry-on.

A couple of hints....be sure to allow plenty of time to clear customs in Newark and re-check your bags. It can take up to an hour. Then you will probably have to change terminals (on the inter-terminal train), obtain boarding passes, and go through security. Very time consuming!

Be sure to request that your bags be checked through to your final destination if you are connecting to a different airline. They won't do it in Madeira unless you ask! Otherwise, you have to claim your bags on the mainland and recheck them, even if you are in-transit. This is also true when you are flying to Madeira...if you check them all the way to Madeira, they'll clear customs there. You don't have to claim them in your connecting city.

If you can manage it, go for business class. TAP is famous for long, slow moving lines. And I really mean reallly long and slow!!! With business class you'll probably clear check-in in minutes and can then relax in the private lounge. Plus boarding is a lot easier. For the international leg, the mass of economy class travelers are boarded first...mayhem is the best description of this process. Business class is taken to the airplane in a separate bus and boarded last. A much more humane process.

Good luck with your arrangements.

Joanne,

Great info! One question -- how does one get from the airport to Funchal? We're arriving at midnight, and staying in the Hotel Estrelecia, which I'm pretty sure doesn't have a shuttle. It looks like a bit of a haul -- are cabs a reasonably-priced option? Or are there shuttle busses? Thanks!

LeeAnne

LeeAnne:

I don't know where your hotel is so it's hard to give a definite answer. I'll assume for now that it is in Funchal itself. There are usually taxi's outside the small, but efficient airport. However, I've never arrived that late at night and they may be scarce! Don't take a chance...it's better to book a taxi in advance. Try the Madeiraisland.com website or message board for recommendations. If that fails, ask your hotel book to one for you. In the meantime, I'll look up your hotel and see if there are other options.

Taxi fare should be reasonable (especially compared to say, London, where I just paid 16 pounds, or 30 dollars, plus tip for a ten minute pre-booked cab ride). Another option is a rental car, but only if you can drive a stick shift, and are very, very brave!!!!

LeeAnne:

Your hotel is a Best Western located in the heart of the tourist district (that's good!). It is on the North side of the main street, which means you would have to cross the busy Monumental to get to the ocean. But since there are no beaches to speak of that shouldn't be a problem The web site doesn't mention an airport shuttle, but few hotels have them, so I'm not surprised. Cab fare should be quite reasonable. I'd still recommend making arrangements in advance.

If you can coordinate the airport transfer with a private tour of the island the next day, you may get better service, not to mention a better price! Private tours are the best way to see this fascinating island, and there are some very good guides available.

P.S. You'll need euro's...dollars aren't widely accepted in Madeira! If you don't have any, take time in the airport to use the ATM machine. Fortunately there are ATM's everywhere and they are the best way to obtain euro's!

Good luck in your arrangements.

Thanks so much Joanne! I'll email my hotel about transportation from the airport at that time of night.

We'll definitely take some kind of private tour while we're there, I'm just struggling to decide which one! There's some discussion of this in the Do-It-Yourself Funchal thread.

LeeAnne

Um...Okay...two things grabbed my attention here:

1. The runway was extended....over the SEA??

2. The passengers APPLAUD upon landing?

And I'm going to be flying INTO this place??? YACK! ;)

LeeAnne

Yes, the airport extends out over the sea. There is a complete dropoff at the end of the runway! On one side you have the mountains and on the other side the sea! Fascinating landing when it is foggy! Commerical pilots have to undergo special training before the are permitted to fly there. But not to worry, it's perfectly safe.

Before the new runway was built the airlines used to warn that a plane was going to take a dunk. Then one day a plane ended up in the sea...and presto a new runway was built! There are pictures in the airport and in the private airline club.

I would rather land at one of those extended "take off" places than like St. Thomas, (or was it Aspen or both?) used to be where you were headed into the mountain for a "landing"! St. Barts also has a take-off over a great beach, and they are really low flying planes, scaring those below!

Joanne, just wanted to let you know that I did find a taxi service I could book online to pick us up at the airport. It's 25 eu, but it's worth it for the comfort of knowing that there will be a taxi waiting there for us. I learned about it in the bulletin board on that link you mentioned, Madeiraisland.com. The taxi site is http://www.madeirataxi.com.

I'm feeling a little excitement over seeing us land on this runway that extends out into the sea! (Or is it really "dread" that I'm feeling?) ;)

LeeAnne

My sister and I might be on this cruise, since she is footing the bill she has the final decision. She had been toward the QM2 transatlantic with a week in London, but the dates would put me away from home on Mother's Day, so I didn't go for it. My husband and I loved Radisson's Mariner cruise to Alaska last May, so I am kind of pushing this one. Madeira sounds beautiful, and we will stay there a few days beyond the 2 nights included with the cruise. The repositioning has really made this one affordable; and Radisson is definitely first class. We have cruised on the QE2 several times and took the family on a Norwegian out of Houston/Galveston, and our Radisson cruise was better than those combined.

The logistics of the airfare do seem a bit daunting, but hopefully my sister will be booking soon.

Cathy in Texas:D

Cathy,

The air is a bit complex the first time around. We're still tweaking the various options, making a bit of a change on each trip. But a good travel agent can pull it together for you. Please feel free to email me direct with any questions about air arrangements or Madeira itself. We have a house there, so make the trip about every other month. The transatlantics are a respite from having to make the round trip, so I try to do it spring and fall. I'll really miss the Diamond for these crossings, but will probably switch back to the Voyager which is also a nice crossing.

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked a flight on Air Tap from Lisbon to Funchal a few days early before the cruise. Do you think we should upgrade to executive class? Getting worried we might be doing the wrong thing. Is the Lisbon airport confusing, also. Thanks for your help. Paula

Yes, the Lisbon airport can be a bit confusing and not everybody there speaks English. Make it as easy on yourself as you can by booking Business Class. TAP business class is generally comparable to US airlines. The food is good, but distinctly Portugese. No hot fudge sundae's for dessert or mid-flight warm cookies! But comfortable seats and less chance of being bumped in the frequent over-sold situations. You'll avoid long lines at check-in and have access to the airline lounge. And you'll have boarding passes through to Funchal avoiding another line. Plus you'll be ahead of the crowd at immigration. You'll board last and be transfered to the plane in a separate coach...not the crowded bus. You'll be served a warm breakfast on the Lisbon to Funchal leg. All in all, it's well worth it.

Try to avoid close connections in Lisbon. Try to allow two hours, 1 1/2 hours minimum. You may clear immigration in minutes, but it also may take an hour. If you end up with extra time on your hands go into the airline lounge and sample the selection of Portugese wines, brandy, port and madeira. (yes, I know it will be morning....but who cares when you are on vacation). If you have any trouble with mobility ask for wheelchair assistance and you'll be wisked through immigration and to your gate. Also be sure to have your bags checked all the way to Funchal so you don't have to claim them in Lisbon and re-check them. Then tell the gate agent so that they can make sure the bags make the flight.

Overall I like TAP and feel I get good value by insisting on business class.

Archived