For anyone flying in from Canada

scchasgal

We flew out of Vancouver on the first. We had a camera bag full of cameras and accessories, so hubby brought a small bag. As well I had a travel style purse from MEC. No luck with his bag, so he put his phone, sunglasses, keys in his coat pockets and that was fine (yes, stupid, I know. What's the difference) They give you a chance right there to stick whatever in your suitcase as it's before they take them. All laptops must come out of the laptop bag, so don't even think about that for extra stuff. We saw lots of people walking around with laptops with no bag whatsoever.

The biggest thing is that it is hugely inconsistent, of course. Not like they can ever make consistent rules for people to follow. The occasional person gets through with 2 bags even.

The plus side is that going through security was quicker without all that carryon, and the overheads where practically empty, which meant getting on and off the plane was 10 times quicker.

Then we get to LA where everyone has ridiculous amounts of carryon. Seriously, it's insane. They annouce one bag in the overhead and one under the seat, but then people walk right on with 2 or 3 enormous bags to put on top and there's not enough space for everyone's stuff. Why can they not enforce anything? Ridiculous.

However, we weren't charged for the checked carry on... but then American Airlines did lose one of our bags... but we did get it about 11 hours after we arrived.

On the way back into Canada it's business as usual in the US.... take ALLLLL the carryon you want, as they don't care. So stuff your bags full of those breakable souvernirs. No problem.

We flew out of Vancouver on the first. We had a camera bag full of cameras and accessories, so hubby brought a small bag. As well I had a travel style purse from MEC. No luck with his bag, so he put his phone, sunglasses, keys in his coat pockets and that was fine (yes, stupid, I know. What's the difference) They give you a chance right there to stick whatever in your suitcase as it's before they take them. All laptops must come out of the laptop bag, so don't even think about that for extra stuff. We saw lots of people walking around with laptops with no bag whatsoever.

The biggest thing is that it is hugely inconsistent, of course. Not like they can ever make consistent rules for people to follow. The occasional person gets through with 2 bags even.

The plus side is that going through security was quicker without all that carryon, and the overheads where practically empty, which meant getting on and off the plane was 10 times quicker.

Then we get to LA where everyone has ridiculous amounts of carryon. Seriously, it's insane. They annouce one bag in the overhead and one under the seat, but then people walk right on with 2 or 3 enormous bags to put on top and there's not enough space for everyone's stuff. Why can they not enforce anything? Ridiculous.

However, we weren't charged for the checked carry on... but then American Airlines did lose one of our bags... but we did get it about 11 hours after we arrived.

On the way back into Canada it's business as usual in the US.... take ALLLLL the carryon you want, as they don't care. So stuff your bags full of those breakable souvernirs. No problem.

Thanks for the great information but wondering if you can clarify a couple of things - what did you mean when you mention your dh 'had not luck with his bag'??? Did they not allow him to have a 'small bag'? Luckily he had enuf pockets to hold his stuff..

And I understood laptops in laptop bags were allowed? (I guess perhaps some of the rules have changed since you flew?).

Thanks for the great information but wondering if you can clarify a couple of things - what did you mean when you mention your dh 'had not luck with his bag'??? Did they not allow him to have a 'small bag'? Luckily he had enuf pockets to hold his stuff..

And I understood laptops in laptop bags were allowed? (I guess perhaps some of the rules have changed since you flew?).

He had a camera bag and the bag, so they wouldn't let him take both. So he had to open his suitcase and stuff it in (after removing what he needed to put in his pockets) They were ho-humming about mine but I said I really needed all this stuff as I have 2 pairs of glasses plus prescription sunglasses.

We talked to a couple from Toronto who tried to but a bathing suit in her purse and they made her pack it in a suitcase instead.

Although the YVR website still states the same regulations, you may be correct about things changing since we left. The only consistent thing is inconsistency. Seriously. It depends which airport, who you get and what kind of mood they are in. Be prepared for anything.

I was on the Air Canada website this morning and this is what they say. They outlined the allowable purse size dimensions - not very generous!

Checked bags Carry-on

(including briefcases)Personal items allowed in the cabin

Normal allowance

No

1 or more personal items

Maximum weight of 10kg (22lb).

Important: Please consult Transport Canada guidelines or visit the CATSA website for details on permissible carry-on items such as:

• small purse* or pouch: 25cm x 30cm x 14cm (10 in. x 12 in. x 5.5 in.)
  • book, magazine
  • small electronic device such as cell phone or MP3 player
  • diaper bag
  • laptop computer (in regular carrying case)*
  • camera
  • musical instrument
  • cane, crutches, walker, special needs item
  • medical device
  • medication

*larger purses, briefcases, attaché cases and laptops in suitcases or ‘on wheels’ are not allowed.

US Carriers have always allowed everything plus the kitchen sink as carry-on....very frustrating if you want to place something in the overhead bin above your seat and some joker from 5 rows back has so much crap that he has half of it in the bin above you. Sorry, huge pet-peeve of mine!

Also Canada has never allowed people to use their cell phones until "well inside the terminal building". Perhaps I should say Canadian carriers because that is mostly what I travel on and I have heard the announcement made a million times.

I hope someone comes to their senses soon and this gets reversed, it's not bad enough that we don't get fed on flights anymore but now we have really no way of bringing our own food on board. Odd also that it applies only from Canada to the US and not the other way around.

He had a camera bag and the bag, so they wouldn't let him take both. So he had to open his suitcase and stuff it in (after removing what he needed to put in his pockets) They were ho-humming about mine but I said I really needed all this stuff as I have 2 pairs of glasses plus prescription sunglasses.

We talked to a couple from Toronto who tried to but a bathing suit in her purse and they made her pack it in a suitcase instead.

Although the YVR website still states the same regulations, you may be correct about things changing since we left. The only consistent thing is inconsistency. Seriously. It depends which airport, who you get and what kind of mood they are in. Be prepared for anything.

Thanks for the additional information. I think you are right about different airports and processes. I know the setup in Ottawa is: 1st you go to airline counter - check in - they tag your bags (possibly weigh them).....then you proceed WITH your luggage thru the 'doors' into the US customs area.

The next step is putting your luggage on a large conveyor belt (going up a ramp leading to a super duper x-ray machine) - you have to stand there and wait til you are given the okay to proceed to the usual scanners/x-ray area (about 20-30 feet away?) - this is where the carryons, would be screened, you are wanded, etc.

If there are no changes you would be hard pressed to put something in your luggage at that point given your luggage is GONE!!! Perhaps they will now have someone (customs officer?)...standing there at the point your luggage is sent off to check on your 'carryon' situation before your luggage disappears up the ramp?

And I can't imagine why they wouldn't let someone stuff their bathing suit (or any other piece of clothing) in their purse. The current information clearly states you can bring on whatever 'fits' in the prescribed bag (assuming it is an 'allowable' item - which clothing would be!).

And I hear you on 'be prepared for anything' - I have had a few 'experiences' with customs agents at the Ottawa airport and it hasn't been pretty!:eek:

Froufie, you are right - every airport where I have pre-cleared US customs has the same set-up, clear customs and immigration with your checked luggage, place it on the conveyor belt (wheels up!) and then proceed to security.

Froufie, you are right - every airport where I have pre-cleared US customs has the same set-up, clear customs and immigration with your checked luggage, place it on the conveyor belt (wheels up!) and then proceed to security.

Well I didn't realize that - so still wondering what happens if your luggage is gone and someone tells you you can't take item X on board (like a bathing suit???) .and you have to take it out of your 'allowable' purse....or your bag is a bit too large?

Guess I'll find out this Saturday!!!:eek:;)

Things have changed :) 1 carry on and 1 personal item.

Here is the link:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/infosheets-menu-5811.htm

I just heard a 'snippet' of this on the radio this morning and immediately turned on my computer cuz I thought this can't be right - and I am so HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

I can't believe that 3 days before I leave the rules have finally changed for the better - I didn't realize how stressed and unhappy I was until this ban was lifted - I feel so much better now (and can return those other 'purses' I bought that I was hoping to use cuz of the previous rules).

Have to 'rethink' my packing strategy just a bit but I can now take on my book and snacks, and ipods and meds and water bottle (empty) and travel pillow and..... well you get the picture! What a relief!:D

Glad to hear the news but I still hope that they WILL NOT allow carry on with wheels - if it is too heavy to carry then check it. I have been held up to long and too often with people fighting to get those bags in and out of overheads. Hopefully they won't fit into measuring device.

Glad to hear the news but I still hope that they WILL NOT allow carry on with wheels - if it is too heavy to carry then check it. I have been held up to long and too often with people fighting to get those bags in and out of overheads. Hopefully they won't fit into measuring device.

And actually if they are still doing the 'big search' then taking something with wheels or large will hold up the lines. From what I understand (friends left TO a few days ago) - everyone had to empty EVERYTHING from their carryon (and that was when only one was allowed).....and then put it back.

Multiply that by the # of people flying and now with more than one bag - and well you get the picture. I guess we still should plan to get to the airport extra early for all the enhanced security - would hate to be held up and miss the plane (due to all the 'additional carryons!")

I just heard a 'snippet' of this on the radio this morning and immediately turned on my computer cuz I thought this can't be right - and I am so HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

I can't believe that 3 days before I leave the rules have finally changed for the better - I didn't realize how stressed and unhappy I was until this ban was lifted - I feel so much better now (and can return those other 'purses' I bought that I was hoping to use cuz of the previous rules).

Have to 'rethink' my packing strategy just a bit but I can now take on my book and snacks, and ipods and meds and water bottle (empty) and travel pillow and..... well you get the picture! What a relief!:D

And whatever you do, don't take any nail scissors with you! I flew to Vegas in Nov. with only a carry on and had a small pair of scissors in my make-up bag. Of course, I was pulled over for extra attention and had my scissors taken away. The agent even told me that if I'd been checking in in the States, I would have been allowed to keep them, but not in Canada.:eek::cool:. Have a wonderful cruise, Froufie!:)

Heather

And whatever you do, don't take any nail scissors with you! I flew to Vegas in Nov. with only a carry on and had a small pair of scissors in my make-up bag. Of course, I was pulled over for extra attention and had my scissors taken away. The agent even told me that if I'd been checking in in the States, I would have been allowed to keep them, but not in Canada.:eek::cool:. Have a wonderful cruise, Froufie!:)

Heather

Thanks! I had my extra special pair of mini-folding scissors 'confiscated' from my purse - on my last trip to Vegas (Oct 2008) - really now! (I had to go back to the dollar store to replace them when I got home!!! :D)

Sure was great news when they changed the carry-on rules this week.

Sitting in the YOW US lounge (free wi-fi now!) with plenty of time to kill before flying out to eventually get on the Dream tomorrow.

Two lines Security lines.

One like the old-days - regular xray, no searches - shoes on.

Second line - shoes off, random pat-down and explosive searches quick look through my carry-on (not sure why he bothered).

2 of us (of 5) were patted down.

I had read on another board not to grab your belongs after they've been xray'd until they give you the OK - watched them snap at a couple ahead of us in line.

Admittedly the place the US lounge is currently very quiet but 5 of us went through the entire process in 15 minutes.

Carry-ons with wheels are permitted. I was just about to say - be sure to stay within the measurements posted on the CATSA/airlines sites and in walks a gentleman with a #$%^&* full-size wheeled suitcase ?/?

I don't get it.

He better not be on my flight cuz it ain't gonna fit the overhead.

Sure was great news when they changed the carry-on rules this week.

Sitting in the YOW US lounge (free wi-fi now!) with plenty of time to kill before flying out to eventually get on the Dream tomorrow.

Two lines Security lines.

One like the old-days - regular xray, no searches - shoes on.

Second line - shoes off, random pat-down and explosive searches quick look through my carry-on (not sure why he bothered).

2 of us (of 5) were patted down.

I had read on another board not to grab your belongs after they've been xray'd until they give you the OK - watched them snap at a couple ahead of us in line.

Admittedly the place the US lounge is currently very quiet but 5 of us went through the entire process in 15 minutes.

Carry-ons with wheels are permitted. I was just about to say - be sure to stay within the measurements posted on the CATSA/airlines sites and in walks a gentleman with a #$%^&* full-size wheeled suitcase ?/?

I don't get it.

He better not be on my flight cuz it ain't gonna fit the overhead.

Thanks Steve for the news and info on your experience! I am flying out of YOW tomorrow and am so glad to hear it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be (but then again the airport is not that big, nor is the 'us customs' area so I expected it wouldn't be like going thru toronto....or somewhere else!).

Not clear on the 2 security lines? How come there is one with 'less security'? and who goes in what line?

So I guess I don't need to be at the airport hours in advance? My flight is at 1 pm and would 'normally' get to the airport at 11:30 - is that enuf time? Or should I bump that up to 11 am? I just don't really want to be sitting there (with my tim horton's coffee and muffin) for a couple of hours!!! :D

Hi Froufie from a summer like night in Cocoa Beach

My take is there are no hard set rules so its hard to give you the perfect roadmap.

Even with the the relaxed carry-on we decided to play it safe and we went early to avoid the rush (2 hours). I'm convinced that with the change this week things are getting back to normal.

With a coffee and free wifi in the US lounge time flew by.

I'd go at 11:30 and enjoy the time if you get through quickly, otherwise you'll have plenty of time if it happens to be busy.

Re the "two lines" - once you've cleared customs and dropped off your checked luggage you then proceed to the security check. You stand on a pad and it randomly determines which line you go through by displaying

an arrow for the line you are going to take.

Head to the right and its really basic - old fashioned - if you have a computer put it in a bin and be prepared to take your shoes off.

Head to the left and its the same as above. The difference is they "may" look through your carry-on(s) and they "may" pat you down.

Honestly - with the return to normalcy there is nothing to worry about.

Happy Travels on the Valor - our Dream schedule misses you by a day or so on our common ports.

Steve

Hi Froufie from a summer like night in Cocoa Beach

My take is there are no hard set rules so its hard to give you the perfect roadmap.

Even with the the relaxed carry-on we decided to play it safe and we went early to avoid the rush (2 hours). I'm convinced that with the change this week things are getting back to normal.

With a coffee and free wifi in the US lounge time flew by.

I'd go at 11:30 and enjoy the time if you get through quickly, otherwise you'll have plenty of time if it happens to be busy.

Re the "two lines" - once you've cleared customs and dropped off your checked luggage you then proceed to the security check. You stand on a pad and it randomly determines which line you go through by displaying

an arrow for the line you are going to take.

Head to the right and its really basic - old fashioned - if you have a computer put it in a bin and be prepared to take your shoes off.

Head to the left and its the same as above. The difference is they "may" look through your carry-on(s) and they "may" pat you down.

Honestly - with the return to normalcy there is nothing to worry about.

Happy Travels on the Valor - our Dream schedule misses you by a day or so on our common ports.

Steve

Steve - you lucky dog! Hope you are really enjoying the warmth of Cocoa Beach and looking forward to boarding the Freedom tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the detailed info on the lines - given my luck I will get the extra super duper search - I always do! Must look like a smuggler or something? :D When you said the the difference between the 'basic' line and the other/enhanced one is they 'might' look in your carryon ' - I was confused for a second - for me the 'basic' routine is they usually open my carryon - have a good look thru - then try to repack it - which they never can do - it's like a 'puzzle' in there and only I can get the pieces to fit - they usually give up and let me do it!:p

Basically all packed (doing my nails now) - big luggage weighing in at a whopping 42 pounds - and once I add my makeup - well - who knows?:eek:

At least I get 2 free checked bags on the way out w/Westjet - the way home will be more challenging since I have to pay and need to avoid more than 1 checked bag!!! Will be loading up the carryons that's for sure!

Planning to arrive for 11:30 and will be wearing clean socks! No computer but if I have lots of time to spare I shall have to entertain myself playing games on my ipod!

Thanks again for the wonderful information - it really has provided some stress relief as I was worried about the whole airport experience. (hope my return on the 31st is as calm as it seems the outbound experience will be!)

Wishing you safe travels and a wonderful time on the Freedom!

P.S. What part of Ottawa are you from? or ??

Archived