New CC cards...I don't get it.

Danno

We got our "new" Captain's Club cards in the mail last night....I don't get it. Why go to the expense??

The cards are blahh replacements for the old cards...they don't refer to level...they really don't seem to serve any purpose at all.

I'm just confused as to why they were even sent out. Am I missing something??

Danno,

You will never receive another Captain's Club card again. So if you are at Classic level, when you move up to Select, no new card. If you are Select and move up to Elite, no new card. This way you get one card with no level specified on it and that's it.

I guess it's a waste of money if you were at Elite level and weren't going to ever need a new card. It's funny because we hit Select after our last cruise in August and I was waiting for our new cards that referred to this, so that's what I thought was in the mail, only to learn that everyone got new cards, not just us.

Anne Maria

So the Captain's Club is doing even more to make us feel less special.

...for those of us who have been with this club since it's inception, this is pretty much expected. We have seen the benefits erroded by the sheer number of those that qualify.

...what an odd way to operate.

Shoved the cards in my travel folder - then read, we don't really need them on board.

I guess it doesn't matter what the thing looks like or whether it has a "class" on it - with everything in the computer, you don't need them anyway.

So why did they send them at all?

Glad we got to join "your" club. Huh? So you're sore, the unwashed masses got in?

Maybe, Celebrity is trying to get the newer customers to come back by offering special deals. They can't stay profitable by catering to only those who've cruised with them 25 times.

So you're sore' date=' the [i']unwashed masses[/i] got in?

People on RCI don't wash??? Ugggg!!

No....IMHO the main problem with the CC as it is now, is the large number of people who will qualify for every level, make it impossible to honour promises. How are 1300 people going to all have early disembarkation. Don't promise what you can't deliver.

A loyalty program that doesn't have the ability to honour loyalty is nothing more than a marketing device....and all cruise lines offer them whether you have ever cruised with them or not.

Must be the week for Canadians to get their new cards. I've been reading about them for weeks and wondering what everyone was talking about.

Personally, I liked the old cards. I like have the Level printed on the card. Chessbriar has a good point. The old cards were an easy identifier for people to access their priority check-in -- the person directing traffic could glance at the card and direct the pax to the correct line. No need for q & a. No need for explanations. Just show the card and go.

Food for thought: this is an elaborate way to verify your cruise data without letting you know that Celebrity's data is questionable!!

The reason I suggest this, is that RCCL went through a huge mess with their data over one year ago, but they were not very smooth in the way they got it corrected. A new system at Celebrity, perhaps?

Hey Danno !

I think it has to do with the fact that whatever level you are at with C&A or CC it is now the highest of the 2 that dictates your benefit level on either line. Not a blending of the total number of cruises. But a dis-en-franchising of long time members in both programs.

We got our "new" Captain's Club cards in the mail last night....I don't get it. Why go to the expense??

The cards are blahh replacements for the old cards...they don't refer to level...they really don't seem to serve any purpose at all.

I'm just confused as to why they were even sent out. Am I missing something??

Hi Dan !

No, its not you. We had a similar thread going on here a few weeks ago, and I pretty much said the same things you did. Personally, I liked the old cards with the level on it much better than the new cards. The new cards are just so "generic".

I also feel that the new card appears to make you feel less special, and I would love to know why they could not do a better job with this project. It looks like 20 minutes of thought went into it.

After seeing the new card, I have to wonder why they didnt leave well enough alone.

The letter that came with the cars said to call Celebrity to veritfy the number of cruises and credit, because after Jan 15th they are going to a new system and if the cruise credits are wrong, the cruiser will be responsible for proving that number.

Several of us have called Celebrity to find out that either the number of cruises where wrong or the number of credits (i.e 12 nights or longer = 2 credits) Maybe that is one of the reasons for the new cards.....new system

I know that RCI and also Princess has added a new level to their clubs.....RCI has now added Diamond Plus which is 24 cruises or credits......Think Celebrity will go the same way sometime soon.

hey, at least they have a pic of a SHIP on them. I find that cheery to look at whenever I open my wallet card folder. Now my wallet's got a pic of the kid and a pic of a ship :) ... (But no '05 Celebrity calendar? That's a sad empty spot on our kitchen wall ...) As for feeling "special" ... when we were on Millennium last month, our level was marked on the SeaPass card. I'll feel special when our new level (just arrived at Select) appears on the SeaPass card for our next cruise at summer's end ... TR

...for those of us who have been with this club since it's inception, this is pretty much expected. We have seen the benefits erroded by the sheer number of those that qualify.

You are so right!!!we are founder members also and have seen the whole cc thing go down the tubes!!:mad:

Ditto!!

As to the replacement cards, though, there has to be a financial reason for them. Two thoughts come to mind: Since the cards don't reflect level of membership or any other variable information, they won't need to be reissued. I don't know if that was a big cost factor, but it might be. Also, as the member was urged to call Celebrity to verify their information, Celebrity now has a database of people who have reaffirmed their interest in the product, and can be targeted appropriately.

There are probably other money-driven issues that caused this.

Any time that someone tells me that their new policy or procedure is for my own benefit and will improve service, I shudder.

forgot to mention, we had some issues on our 12/12/ Millie cruise, being "elite" and founder members didn't mean much,,,just a afterthought:D ......wrote a letter to the chief conceirge on the Millie and have not gotten a reply, really don't expect one,,,voiced opinion that I thought they treat first time crusers on X better than the loyal ones....:eek:

Pay to belong!! Actually I am still in that catagory...I never did get my $35 back...nor do I want it.

I do not have an MBA (thank goodness) but I must wonder what benefit it is to have a "loyalty" program that makes people feel that that are really nothing special, despite having proven themselves loyal clients...maybe CC should have kept the $35 fee and invested it in hiring some people for this department who have actually MET a cruise client.

From a business point of view...in the past I was interested in trying out some other lines but was swayed by the fact that I would actually being giving up some earned perks by leaving X...now I've ordered brochures from other lines. From where I stand, I really give up nothing when becoming a first timer on another line.

Strangely enough what I would miss the most if I went to another line are the friends I have made here....:o

We live next door to Mississippi Gambling so we do our fair share of gambling. Got our little special card for our points/comps;) but to get more gamblers in they are giving more and more comps to everyone:rolleyes: so when you arrive at the comped-line for meals it's like 200 people in front of you and on the PAY side you'll see 6 people. We now choose to avoid the free line, pay for our meal and NEVER wait in line.

Appears to us that cruise benefits have gone/are going the same way:mad:

Danno, From a previous thread, I thought you were going to send your CC card back to Celebrity? Does that mean that now you will be sending your old one and the one you just received back?

Really...to invest 54 cents in postage might leave me with a bigger investment in the CC than they have in me...;)

Archived