Money in the Caribbean?

My friends, both new to cruising and the caribbean, are going for two weeks on the Destiny at the end of January. They're concerned about what type of money they need to take to spend on the different islands. I think dollars would be acceptable but I'd welcome advice to pass on. I've already had some great info on trips from a previous query I posted for them.

Thanks

Rosie

My friends, both new to cruising and the caribbean, are going for two weeks on the Destiny at the end of January. They're concerned about what type of money they need to take to spend on the different islands. I think dollars would be acceptable but I'd welcome advice to pass on. I've already had some great info on trips from a previous query I posted for them.

Thanks

Rosie

Yes, US$ accepted everywhere except Guadeloupe (I think this has now been replaced by Martinque) but both are FRENCH and Guadeloupe was rather fiercely so, such that only Euros seemed accepted there.

On all other islands, prices in the markets etc were quoted in local currency/US$/Euros and sometimes £ - but we thought the best deals were in US$ if you didn't have the local currency. You just need to make sure if you aren't offering the correct amount when you do a deal to ask for your change in American dollars - not the local dollar.

It is very hard to guess how much of each currency to take when you are visiting different islands and you lose a little on each exchange if you have some left at the end so I think it makes sense to just take dollars so it is usable at all ports (except French ones!). We happened to have some euros left from a previous trip so took that with us too.

Archived